Overland XJs Unite!

daveh

Adventurer
For those of you who camp/weekend wheel, how do you guys fair with open diffs? I plan on getting a lunchbox locker for my front D30 and I have a stock LSD TRAC LOC sitting in the garage to go into the 8.25.

Im really afraid to get stuck somewhere. Do lockers make that much of a difference to justify the cost?

I love the lockers in my Rubicon but If was going to purchase something due to being afraid of getting stuck I'd go with a winch first. It's usually cheaper and depending where you go with lockers you will eventually need a winch anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overland History

Wanderluster
I love the lockers in my Rubicon but If was going to purchase something due to being afraid of getting stuck I'd go with a winch first. It's usually cheaper and depending where you go with lockers you will eventually need a winch anyway.

Lockers will get you deeper into the woods, a winch will get you out. ;)

nblanton

I've only gotten stuck once in mine, and it was just bad planning.

IMG_1099.JPG

That said, this is my first post and that was a bad pic of my poor old XJ. Here she is at the end of the James Bay Road on the James Bay in 2012.

IMG_1098.JPG

I've currently got 396K miles on the old girl and it runs good. She is a 2 dr 5 speed 4.0L with 8.25 rear and D30 front. All bone stock except for the third t-case and set of Firestone Destination M/Ts.

I lost my cat on that run up through Quebec, the last 200 miles I was limited to 2200rpm due to the cat basically disintegrating and clogging the exhaust pipe! I managed to pull it off and keep on going.

IMG_1097.JPG

It wasn't the first time I'd had a near miss on a trip, I totaled a Caddilac on the way to Bonnaroo in 2009. It was her first of four trips to central Tennessee for that festival!

IMG_1100.JPG
IMG_1101.JPG

I managed to swap the radiator out on the side of I-85 in Charlotte and cut the air bag out with a razor knife, but made it to the show on time.

Its been a good car, but I'm about to get a position with the US State Dept. and I'm not sure if I should upgrade or take the beast with me around the world.

HercDriver

Adventurer
Thanks for all the replies! Id love to get a winch but I want to put one inside the stock front bumper so Id probably have to have one custom made.

Septu

Explorer

Agreed. I have lockers on my JKUR as well. But it took ~1.5 years before I got a bumper and winch for my JK. During that time I constantly turned back on trails due to not wanting to have to dig out when I went out alone (yeah yeah yeah). Yet there was almost always a tree or a big rock that was perfectly placed if I'd had an issue and a winch. Now most of those times I likely wouldn't have had an issue... but who wants to dig and screw around in the muck for hours if you get stuck? Since getting my winch, as long as there's a tree/rock, I'll go. And I almost always am fine. But having that piece of mind has allowed me to explore so many more trails.

Meanwhile, looking at some of these absolutely amazing XJs, makes me miss mine. Love the JK, but I miss the lines of the XJ.

Hunter67

Observer
Mine is fully locked with a Detroit in the rear and an Aussie in the front axle. I prefer lockers as they don't change the look of the car and they add no weight. A winch in front will not get you out but deeper in. For getting the car out of the ********, the winch should be installed (installable) in the rear.
Markus

F40

Adventurer
I have an open D30, and an 8.25 with factory LSD. It depends on the terrain, but for mud and loose terrain this combo is fine. Lockers would be more suitable for rocks or super loose hill climbs.

mtbxj87

Adventurer
It's great to see the xjs staying alive on the jeep forum here, let's keep it going! I'll add another photo
687e9b61a3a0b468eede67d895a259db.jpg

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
Heres mine. 99 sport. 4.0, aw4, 3.55's. 3.5" on 31x10.5 stt pros.lots of other goodies. uploadfromtaptalk1449122705393.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
I envy your green xj. New tire carrier?

Thanks, it works really well for our family. For me, 31's are the sweet spot for the cherokee. I built the rear bumper 3 years ago. Getting the spare tire out of the cargo area for storage was my first priority, and I wanted a shovel/ax mount. I built the front bumper and winch mount 2 years ago.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450038431.383853.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450038453.830466.jpg

Last edited:

mtbxj87

Adventurer
I agree with 31"s I just got ko2s on mine. Love them and it just right with a few inch lift. I'm a fan of your rig!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78