Overlander, new “affordable” Earthroamer type rig

Last I checked every major part of North america was accessible via paved roads. Alaska being the last to get paved roads.
So what I hear you saying is that people must drive their large vehicle up a dirt spur road to qualify as traveling and exploring North America? They cant take tours, go backpacking, cycling, horse back, ATV fly to see more remote places once they arrive?
Saline Valley hot springs less than 300 miles from the LA megalopolis. There’s many other examples in the lower 48, not including Canada and Alaska. And Baja.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Saline Valley hot springs less than 300 miles from the LA megalopolis. There’s many other examples in the lower 48, not including Canada and Alaska. And Baja.
All of which get visited by people in Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas. I don’t get the whole “you need a built vehicle” to see these places mentality

luthj

Engineer In Residence

Conspicuous consumption is the spending of money on and the acquiring of luxury goods and services to publicly display economic power— the income or of the accumulated wealth of the buyer. To the conspicuous consumer, such a public display of discretionary economic power is a means of either attaining or maintaining a given social status.[1][2]

Though some folks just like a really nice home "vehicle", even if it makes a few folks rage at the economic elites. They are really convenient to live in.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My only point is that many of these threads morph into the it’s required to see X. As mentioned above. When thats very very far from reality. Yes some people “not very many” purchase these types of things. As a owner of many properties I could also buy one of these. Or one of those super fancy boats. Except that I have yet to meet anyone who is using one to be all that interesting or adventurous lol.

Tom Perkins was interesting and the Maltese Falcon was an engineering marvel. He sold it because well it wasn’t his thing but building it sure was.

I find this Overlanding thing can take something that’s easily accessible to most people and quickly make it into a game of who has the most credit in their wallet.

The proliferation of 25+ft RVs was a big reason for the raised costs of staying in State, GOV and Private parks something that most contributors here go to great lengths to avoid.

goin camping

Explorer
From the pictures it appears this new "budget" Earthroamer is made like every other RV. 1x2's with panels stapled or nailed to it. Inside components also seem to be basic off the shelf RV equipment.

So the coach lifespan will be about 10 years before delimitation and water leaks. Airstream, Earthroamer and even Scamp are using much longer lasting fiberglass, composite or riveted aluminum that will last decades.

So you can buy once. Cry once with build quality or be ready to sell and buy another at the 8 year mark.

Clearly there is a quality and durability difference between this and the Earthroamer.

Do what works for you.

gregmchugh

Observer
Except that I have yet to meet anyone who is using one to be all that interesting or adventurous lol.

I expect you would likely not consider us either interesting or adventurous. When we stop people expect to see something other than a couple of typical old baby boomers, probably expecting either some Europeans on a world tour or some other type like that or some famous Instagram personality. I don’t seem to feel the need to judge others in terms of their motives, social status, goals, or whatever and don’t really care too much if someone thinks we are not interesting or adventurous. One persons adventure can seem not very adventurous to another and almost anyone can be interesting if you take the time to get to know them. We find what we do an adventure even if we find the locals in their compact cars and minivans at the end of the road. Of course, when it is 7 deg F and snowing like it is in BC at the moment, we are toasty warm and taking a hot shower in the morning which works for us.

There is always someone traveling in something higher priced than your vehicle and others traveling in something cheaper than your vehicle. Each class of traveler has people who look down on those above them and there are others below them who wonder why someone would need anything so fancy to travel the world. Unless you are backpacking or pedaling a bike and sleeping in a tent then I think you are not really roughing it very much in the grand scheme of things...

To each his own...

Last edited:

gregmchugh

Observer
The proliferation of 25+ft RVs was a big reason for the raised costs of staying in State, GOV and Private parks something that most contributors here go to great lengths to avoid.

Yes, there is a very large increase in RV travel these days due to the baby boomers in retirement along with other factors leading to campsite overcrowding, increased fees, reservation requirements, and generally undesirable options for camping sites for those who prefer to wing it with no set travel plans. After a 6 month trip to Alaska in 2014 in a Sprinter camper van we decided to switch from getting a regular RV for long term travel to something that would allow us to avoid the overcrowded RV camping sites, travel anywhere we wanted (within reason), carry all the stuff we wanted as we are out for long periods of time (Two kayaks, two bicycles, and other fun stuff), and spend most nights boondocking somewhere away from crowds of people. We ended up with a larger expedition truck and have been happy with our choice. At some point we will probably settle down someplace and get a smaller vehicle for traveling. At the moment, I think a dual cab EarthCruiser would be ideal for our next vehicle (need extra seats for grand kids).

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just offering up the possibility that the reason you aren't running into those people because they are out exploring more remote areas than you are and not camping near the paved roads you spoke of.
Nope people with 100+K tied up in a rolling outhouse don’t go the places my feet take me.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
rolling outhouse

Tell us how you REALLY feel. I sense some deep seated resentment.

Regardless,

Why does it matter how other people spend their money and operate their vehicles? There are limits to anti-elitist attitudes. Just because a small number of expedition rig owners act like they are the be-all and end-all, doesn't justify taking an equally extreme opposing view.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I think I found a video of the manufacturing process of this camper. Looks like the same manufacturer but NOT 100% sure...
In any case, it's very informative and shows you the massive amounts of thermal transfer these campers will be getting with all that aluminum. Watch the section between 20.12 and 21.00. Is it just me or did they not remove some of the masking tape?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears

Members online