Overlanding Checklist

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Planning to go overlanding? We recently prepared a list of the general items needed for an overlanding excursion and would definitely like your feedback and input on additional items as comments on the article below:

http://online.jpfreek.com/2010/07/27/recommended-equipment-for-overland-adventure/

Good basics list!

I'd add under Tools:any special/vehicle specific tools. ie:socket for spindle nuts/axle shaft nuts. Anything 'oddball' you know you need for your rig, and other folks probably wouldn't have in thier basic tool kit.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Great start for an Overlanding Checklist.

It made me review my list and make some a few adjustments. My list seems long but I still use an old Jeep

Great list Tom! Your list is a lot like mine, (minus the photo gear/climbing gear) with tools and parts specific to your rig.

Takes a few years (or miles) to learn your rig, and just what you may need for your it when out in the boonies.

Isn't it amazing how much stuff you can stick in a Jeep and small trailer, and still have room to sit inside?:Wow1:

HB:coffeedrink:

SAR Jeepster

Observer
Great list Tom! Your list is a lot like mine, (minus the photo gear/climbing gear) with tools and parts specific to your rig.

Takes a few years (or miles) to learn your rig, and just what you may need for your it when out in the boonies.

Isn't it amazing how much stuff you can stick in a Jeep and small trailer, and still have room to sit inside?:Wow1:

HB:coffeedrink:

It helps that the Jeep is a Jeepster with no back seat. The down side is my Jeepster is pushing 6000lbs.
You are right it takes time to build a good list, I always have a note pad with me and add or delete items from my list after each trip.

mudbutt

Explorer
I always have a note pad with me and add or delete items from my list after each trip.

The wife and I have found this VERY useful... Funny thing was first time out we forgot the pen and note pad, so when we got back the first thing on the list was a pen and note pad.

Circular logic.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I dunno. It seems a bit over the top for a list of MINIMUM suggested items . . .

Last I checked, you didn't *need* a lift, lockers, skid plates, winch, etc. to go out on an adventure (let alone THREE different jacks!!!).

Likewise, mentioning that $2000+ cameras are discouraged because they can break seems a bit, uh, out of place (not to mention entirely false).

YMMV . . .

Frdmskr

Adventurer
This is a good find and I appreciate all the info here. I might add this link since it was after the list here was done being made:

http://overlandbound.com/overland-checklist/

I think the thing missing on all the checklists is this: Know how to use everything on the list. It's great to have all the tools for the job. Not sure much when you are reading the manual for the winch while in a ditch.

Fire extinguisher,Fire extinguisher,Fire extinguisher...

It can't be overstressed. Not to put out a fire on the vehicle- more to help yourself with an excited campfire or lantern.
Dont leave it in the car- Put it next to the fire.
Know how to use it.

And leave those toys with less than 2 liters of powder at home.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I guess I'll take the opportunity to add a basic off-road list that I put together here as well. This is somewhat of a group-sourced list and has a lot of good suggestions. Although designed as a list for a day outing or simple weekend trip, it is a good base for some equipment to have in your vehicle and is broken down in stages.

http://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...-Equipment-List-suggestion-and-shopping-guide
Add Scotch, a good reclining lawn chair, s'mores materials, toilet paper, and a few condoms and yer good to go.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Add Scotch, a good reclining lawn chair, s'mores materials, toilet paper, and a few condoms and yer good to go.

I got really drunk off of scotch last year, haven't been able to stomach the smoky flavor since. Had to move on to bourbon. It's a shame really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman