Overlanding Tires

mattiep11

Adventurer
thanks... we had the nitto's back when the new Nissan titan first came out... it was one of the first 20" at tires to the market and we got one of the first sets from nitto for a truck build( custom stereo, paint, rims, the works) they looked cool and we drove it in the rain for the first few weeks just didn't seem to work as well as we wanted.. then they wore out super quick... we drove past the cooper tire plant every day wishing we had a set of st's on the truck instead!

1stDeuce

Explorer
We just put Cooper AT3's on my gf's Liberty a month or so ago and I've been driving it since. I can tell you that these tires are FANTASTIC in the snow and on wet roads. Had it in some light yard mud and they did fine there too. They also don't see to throw rocks and pebbles much at all. I have run BFG A/T's on my truck and on a TJ, and I can tell you that I won't run them any more. The AT3's absolutely kick the CRAP out of the BFG's when the road is wet or snowy/icy.

The BFG's do look a little "tougher" thanks to the KO treaded sidewall, but I doubt that it really does much. The other thing to watch out for is that BFG A/T's tend to be much more prone to death wobble on solid axle Jeeps. My TJ is ok with them, but my brother went through two sets of 30.9.50's that both death wobbled no matter what we did, so he switched to some WalMart Goodyears and the problem was instantly gone. Same wheels, same size tire. I think it has to do with the wide tread profile or something, as I can't think of much else that would cause it, but it is not uncommon for Jeeps to get DW with BFG A/T's. Other tires in general don't seem to cause as much trouble.

YMMV.

Bikemobile

Adventurer
Ive been very happy with my general grabber at2's. I took a 60 mile drive yesterday up taylor canyon. Dry pavement in the sun glare ice and snowpack in the shade, curves the whole way. Never slipped, slid or had any issues. Great for winter and they did great all summer on slickrock, mud, and thousands of highway miles.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Dynapro ATM did FANTASTIC over 9 days in muck and wet as we circumnavigated the Black Hills with rain every day. Super quiet on the highway, do very well in the snow (but no mistaking them for proper snow tires), track amazingly well in the rain, and are fairly cheap. I honestly think they are what the BFG AT used to be; a damn good affordable AT tire... but the ATM isn't iffy in the mud/snow ;-).

Good to hear. I have the Hankook Dynapro MT RT03 and love them. So happy with them that when the family Van needed tires we opted for the Optimo All Condition Hankooks...very VERY happy with them as well. I am going to be putting a set of the ATM on my WK as soon as I install the lift kit. Very good quality tires so far.

WininUtah

Adventurer
I've been a Hankook dealer for almost 20 years and always replace my tires with their products. I had Dynapro MTs on my last Rubicon and will be putting them on my 2014. One of the things I like is that they clear stones really well. We don't get into a lot of mud but they were great through out the desert. I have the Dynapro ATm on my Pilot and they've been really good. I put a set of Atm on a friends Grand Cherokee and we did a pretty gnarly back country trip, they worked amazingly well in rocky, wet terrain.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I've been a Hankook dealer for almost 20 years and always replace my tires with their products. I had Dynapro MTs on my last Rubicon and will be putting them on my 2014. One of the things I like is that they clear stones really well. We don't get into a lot of mud but they were great through out the desert. I have the Dynapro ATm on my Pilot and they've been really good. I put a set of Atm on a friends Grand Cherokee and we did a pretty gnarly back country trip, they worked amazingly well in rocky, wet terrain.

This is good to know... the ATM on the GC that is. I agree completely with the shedding of rocks, the MT's are great for that. They shed mud really well too, which is funny when you hit the pavement after a trail...rooster tail of mud leaving the tires.

So far, after about 30,000 KM they are still at about 75% tread and are holding up very well. I was most impressed with the way that they balanced. For a tire with the big deep lugs, the were simple to balance and have not changed at all over the 3-4 years I have had them.

corprin

Adventurer
I put a set of Atm on a friends Grand Cherokee and we did a pretty gnarly back country trip, they worked amazingly well in rocky, wet terrain.

I concur...

B73966CC-5760-45ED-B099-166A9B5C9236-337-000000B129DB04EF_zpsd2788c1e.jpg

now you are all annoyed by me constantly posting about these tires... I will chata.

jeepinspence

Surprised at not seeing the Intero TrXus MT. I had set on my TJ and I found them to be the best all around tire I had used to date. They were very quiet and smooth even with my soft top. They've been the winning tire several times at our local mud drags, the sidewalls are typical Intercontinental tough with added protection by the wrap around tread design and lastly the generous wiping makes them handle heavy rain, snow, and ice with aplomb. Tread life not on par with BFG ATKOs but I don't mind replacing a great tire a little more often AND I'm one that doesn't trust sidewalls to the environmental breakdown for more than two to three years at most anyway. Always check the born on date of your tires!

Honorable mention to the Yokohama MT directional. They are also a great all around tire that does everything well. Except wear...they are SO soft that 20k and they are about finished. Hth!

88Xj

Banned
Ok guys I'm up For tires still and haven't bought yet. I like the cooper at3s but didn't find pricing at americas tire & truthfully wouldn't mind a slightly more agrees I've outter tread/sidewall.
So how about the America tire pathfinder AT's? Or the falken wild peak AT's? I think I've narrowed it between these 2 tires.

We just put a set of the pathfinders AT's on our 2500 suburban and they are decent tires. Kind of like the hankook & cooper combined. Very nice but again I'm looking for the jeep vs the burb which sees all street. The jeep sees everything, desert soft sand, sheet/slate rock, 100% daily miles ect.

I will say the wild peaks I've seen look good but siping only goes down to about 50% which is sort of annoying having to regroove.

Bikemobile

Adventurer
Ok guys I'm up For tires still and haven't bought yet. I like the cooper at3s but didn't find pricing at americas tire & truthfully wouldn't mind a slightly more agrees I've outter tread/sidewall.
So how about the America tire pathfinder AT's? Or the falken wild peak AT's? I think I've narrowed it between these 2 tires.

We just put a set of the pathfinders AT's on our 2500 suburban and they are decent tires. Kind of like the hankook & cooper combined. Very nice but again I'm looking for the jeep vs the burb which sees all street. The jeep sees everything, desert soft sand, sheet/slate rock, 100% daily miles ect.

I will say the wild peaks I've seen look good but siping only goes down to about 50% which is sort of annoying having to regroove.

I'm not sure what size you are looking for but discount has almost all of their tires on eBay. I've bought two sets of tires from their eBay store. Free shipping and the guy in the brown truck just leaves them on your doorstep.

31's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-LT31X10-50-15-COOPER-DISCOVERER-AT3-1050R-R15-TIRES-LR-C-/310775890193?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Tires&vxp=mtr&hash=item485bafc111

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-LT31X10-50-15-GENERAL-GRABBER-AT2-1050R-R15-TIRES-LR-C-/191030535518?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Tires&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c7a4ea55e

Falkens

I have been running the falkens on my 4dr jku rubicon for about 50 k miles. I probably only rotated them every 20k I am still not at the wear bar yet but getting close.MY jku is a daily driver and it does see some off road time both for work and play. I have been really happy with the wear and the noise they are quiet. I wet snow with mud underneath They were pretty spooky a lot of sliding. I am not sure anything but a true mud tire would have worked there, I go out to walk the trail and did the icescapades version of the sider dance and almost went down. so i guess that really isn't a criticism. I would consider them again. I am looking at something more aggressive as far as that goes but but keep coming back to the falkens for price, I like the kelly spring field tsr but don't know much about it. I will say there is absolutely no excuse for a weak side wall on a plus $300 tire so for my money I will stay away from dura tracs. blowing s a sidewall aside from ruining your day is not a acceptable failure.. I too am open for suggestions..

RangeBrover

Explorer

My buddy runs the Fallen AT's on his Titan and he loves them, this is is second set with his only complaint being that he can't get more than 40k out of a set. They performed great in the snow we just had here in DC, no experience with mud though as he won't get dirty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179