Overlanding with k-9 companions.

We view the NP's as a sightseeing distraction to the real gem of the west the National Forests. I prefer dispersed camping spots in the forests, anytime I have had to camp in a national park it always feels like a parking lot with fire rings.

Imnosaint

Iron, but Gel
Our rig's latest mod was for the dogs. The stock middle seat was too narrow and awkward for the dogs to ride comfortably without being on top of each other, and raising the rig made entry and egress more difficult. Plus the seat itself encroached on cargo room.

19aDogsLoaded.jpg

Since Ginger and Mary Ann are the principle passengers behind the front seats, I removed the 60/40 middle row and built a platform using a 2' by 4' by 3/4" sheet of particle board covered with grey trunk carpeting, and fashioned three brackets that mount with the existing seat hardware that allow more stowage underneath. I extended the platform another eight inches and added a pet barrier that braces the end of the platform.

ExtendBarrier.jpg

Barrier.jpg

We took a quick trip to Zion NP over the weekend and saw a big change in the girls' behavior, they loved the room and were consequently better dogs all around, less anxiety, cooler, and less intrusive into the front seats. We're getting ready for a seven-day camping trip to the coast that will be the true test.

As for dogs in national parks in our area, the Pa'rus trail in Zion NP follows the Virgin River and the boundary of the campgrounds and is the park's only dog-friendly trail. Bryce Canyon posts signs at their trailheads prohibiting dogs, yet on the trail are signs and waste stations, written in English for the walkers and in canine for the pooches.

394880_10200439471455032_428501670_n.jpg

Utah State parks are dog friendly.

602286_10201323510355452_284503079_n.jpg

RangeBrover

Explorer

Aegis

K9 Handler
I've been putting a lot of thought into this subject, as there aren't many places we go that we don't bring our boy, Sailor Bruce. He works as my Service Animal, so the thought of heading out into the Great Unknown (or Somewhat-Known-But-Not-Really-Maintained, lol) without him is nonexistent.

The best solution I've come-up with, seasonally of course, involves the cargo area/back seat area and a RTT. My thought is to have us stay upstairs in the RTT, and have him crash in the car downstairs. Depending on our load and where we're traveling, he'll either have the back of the rig or the backseats with a leveled platform. We'll move the RTT to be positioned so that the annex from the RTT drops over where he is, and we'll leave either the tailgate/barn door or rear passenger door open, depending on location. Obviously this'll only work best with an RTT that has a floor on the annex, but it's my best thought. In the colder months, we can keep the doors shut to help insulate him, although he's quite fond of the cold.

... If it's just him and I sans misses, we'll probably just crash in the rig together :)

Aegis

K9 Handler
I'm also a fan of the Kuranda beds, specifically the cot bed. When we ordered ours for our boy, it came with an extra set of full-sized legs, which was a fantastic plus!

Though it might be a bit unwieldy to carry inside, it definitely would be right at home up on a roof-rack. With the right surface chosen, you wouldn't even have to worry about it getting a little wet and dirty on the trip out.

http://www.kuranda.com

jeepin_idaho

Adventurer
My beagle loves camping and offroading. I have to keep him on a leash or tie out most of the time though or he would put his nose to the ground and follow it till the end of the earth. I'm subscribing to this thread for sure though because I'm always looking for some good tips for traveling with my trail buddy.

uploadfromtaptalk1378779944342.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1378779998805.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1378780042419.jpg

Dan
http://facebook.com/the4x4podcast

Aegis

K9 Handler
Such a good lookin' little guy! How does he do when things get on the bumpier side off-road?

I also can't recommend enough a Vittles Vault if anyone's planning on doing any trips longer than a day or two. Air and water tight, they're a great option for carrying dry food. They're pretty damn sturdy too; I wouldn't think twice about tossing mine up on a rack for a trip.

shellb

Adventurer
Mine! As long as she is comfy, she is happy and probably asleep.

tepe6uja.jpg

Static54

We always take our two dogs with us. A 100lb german and a 90lb lab. Take a lot of car space up, but love to come.

We have an indoor outdoor carpet that goes into the tent to protect the floor. a found a thermarest type dog bed at costco a while ago. Its awesome, only a couple inches thick so saves room.

One thing is mine like to escape from the tent, Which is fine when no one is around but in a campgound can be problematic. they learned they could use their noses to open the zipper, I have to run the zipper up to the top corner now so they cant get at it. Or use a piece of para cord to tie them together.

Happy campers!

I realize this was posted last year but was curious as to sleeping arrangements. Do you k9 companions sleep in the RTT with you or do you have them sleep in the car, since it'd be difficult for them to make it to the RTT?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"Do you k9 companions sleep in the RTT with you or do you have them sleep in the car, since it'd be difficult for them to make it to the RTT?"

what- you mean I have a choice !:)

DSC01599.jpg

Static54

Haha likewise. I was pondering getting a RTT for my vehicle but my thought was room for the dogs and how the dogs will get up there. I figure the answer to that would end up being me carrying them, 1 100# dog the other 60#.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle