Oversize brakes for Landy

Hello to all!
Although a long time member this is the first time I've done a post. I have a '09 Landcruiser J79, D4D, 4500, V-8 diesel, F/I, turbo, Intercooler. Suspension raised, airbags, 4W discs, 4WD, bulbar, Warn 9500 winch. 8' deck. Truck is RH drive and comes out of Australia. Built like a tank! I love it to pieces!
All this to say it is extremely heavy with my camper on the rear deck. Stopping takes a lot of grunt and sweat as well as a lot of room. I'm in the midst of changing the camper body for an ambulance body. So, at this time I want to see about changing my front calipers, rotors, pads and brake hoses for something heavy duty. Have been in touch with Brake Warehouse in the U.S. and they gave me a # URJ200. Can anyone confirm the validity of this #? Brake Warehouse has nothing in stock and seem to be reluctant to order for me. I am currently in Santiago Chile on hold until I get the new camper installed. This would be a good time to do the brakes as well. Can anyone tell me if the # is valid and a good place to order these parts from?
Thanks so much
Al

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The stock four piston Landcruiser calipers and rear (full sized) chevy calipers will easily stop my 4600 lb Fj40 towing a 4500 lb trailer. I'm now running a Brake Booster & Master out of a JDM diesel 80 series... It'll lock up all four wheels on dry pavement with two fingers pressure. You may not need different caliper, just more assist. V6 4 piston calipers on 4runners use 4 larger piston calipers... Some report them as being an upgrade on the standard 2 large and 2 smaller piston calipers.

Last edited:
Oversize brakes

Thanks bikersmurf. I'll have a look around down here but, all the lands here are tiny little things and I believe have different series #'s. I need to find a good overland shop in Santiago. Thanks again. BTW, I'm from Squamish.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Double checked, the booster/ master were from an HDJ81V... It was a diesel JDM truck that a local IH8Mud member was parting out. If you can find P/Ns for 80 series, you should be set. They're the heaviest Cruisers I know other than the old FJ45s which had 4wheel drums. Ih8mud is a great resource for cruisers if you're not familiar with it.

Went through Squamish recently. Best of luck.

Any of the 4 piston Calipers with vented rotors (4runner,40/60/70/80 series) should do the job for the front. Rear options I'm not as familiar with... Mine are overkill... About a 3" single piston on a 1.25" thick vented rotor... OE for Suburbans, Blazers, 3/4 ton trucks on the front.

Last edited:

bossman429

Adventurer
Did you try changing the pads to a set with a higher initial grab. You'll want ones that work well at low operating temp with a lot of initial torque. Pads make all the difference. Your not racing around a track, so you don't need more mass to help dissipate heat, which is for the most part what bigger brakes get you. You need quick, strong brakes that operate at a moments notice, regardless of temps. Stay away from ceramics and any pad that says it will last forever, those are like stopping with ice cubes.

You could have brakes off of a tractor trailer. With the wrong pad compound you'll still have the stopping distances of a freight train.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
X2 I've found 'organic' pads to work well, and last forever. Long lasting pads don't wear fast enough, and the Calipers seize up. I got 19 years and 80,000 miles out of a fast wearing $20 set if pads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78