Overwhelmed... :(

Lykos

Super Trucker
Hi

So I've read threads and googled to the point of being totally overwhelmed.

Here's what I have and what I want to do and what I'm thinking of doing.

Someone smarter than me please tell me what I need.

Vehicle: 96 Suburban

Intent: festival camper, fishing rig etc.

Worst case: At Bonnaroo it sits for four hot days with a (ordered from Amazon) Whytner fridge freezer combo. LED string lights at night. Inverter for a blender (margaritas)
And a 12,000.Badlands winch used in the winter.

Currently charging set up: bone stock with 105 amp alternator and Optima red top starting battery.

I have a Optima yellow top to add under the hood.

My plan is to use a BlueSea 7622 500 amp dual battery VSR between the two batteries and isolate the yellow top as a house battery and the red for starting only. I believe that I'll be able to run the winch connected to the yellow top this way.
Or, will I need a switch to connect the two batteries for that?

The yellow top has a 75 AH rating. I'd say as long as I start the rig to use the inverter, or don't get carried away with the blender with it off, that I'll be good on battery.

I'll also upgrade the alt to high amp (140 or higher) unit.

I want a solar set up but have no idea how to sift through all the info that's available in the subject. I don't mind permanently mounting the panels to the roof.

Suggestions? Advice?

I'm a pretty smart guy but for some reason this just baffles me. I hate to ask for help but here I am...

ryanmachus

So for solar you basically need:
-Panels
-Solar charge controller
-Battery
-inverter
-Wiring to connect them

As far as panels, you can get renogy 100 watt panels on Amazon or eBay for 130$ ish a piece. If you go with these then I would also buy the appopriate length of wire with MC4 connectors to hook the panels to the charge controller .

For charge controllers you have low tech, low cost PWM or high tech, high cost MPPT. The latter, performs much better on larger panel arrays, but is still a more efficient charge controller overall. You could spend anywhere from 30- 300$ on one of theses depending on what features and capabilities you want.

You already have a battery so you are good there

Also I would suggest a main fuse or circuit breaker (50-150A depending on load) wired between your battery and your load for safety and to cut any draw off the system while not in use.

Then you can hook an inverter up to your system for any AC items you desire to power.

It's really up to you as far as how much you want to spend and what you plan to do with your setup.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
Or you can get the Renogy 100W suitcase. It comes with the panels, charge controller, connections to hook to battery and a handy case to store it all in. I got mine on eBay shipped from Renogy for a few bucks less than list price.

Chad

OCD Overland

Explorer
I'm going to get a bit snooty here - but it seems like you're creating a lot of complexity for yourself for the sole reason of making a lousy version of a classic drink. Ditch the blender, buy yourself a boston shaker, and use the money you saved to buy yourself a nice Yeti 400 from Goal Zero with maybe 60 watts of panels, and some Cointreau. You'll save yourself a heap of trouble and easily be the most sophisticated person ever to attend Bonnaroo.

:sombrero:

AndrewP

Explorer
I agree with the blender advice.

The rest of the set up as proposed by the original poster is fine. Do it in stages. Get your second battery mounted and charging-the Blue Sea relay works great. Then do your interior feed and inside fuse panel, then last, add the solar. It's much easier to think about projects in stages instead of one huge project all at once.

The Renogy panels are very nice. A suburban has a big roof and it's hard to have too much charging capacity. I would mount 2 100 watt panels and maybe add 2 more later. Block the solar project out for now and worry about getting your dual batteries installed, and go from there.

I would not bother to upgrade your alternator until it dies. There are very few times you need more alternator generating capacity even with two batteries. The alternator will not be the limiting factor when charging your batteries. Batteries can only accept charge so fast, especially when almost full, and bigger alternators do not help. Save your money. With a fridge, especially a larger one, the trick is enough STORED power, not alternator capacity. You'll address that with a second battery-but make it a big one that has some deep cycle capacity.

Lykos

Super Trucker
I'm going to get a bit snooty here - but it seems like you're creating a lot of complexity for yourself for the sole reason of making a lousy version of a classic drink. Ditch the blender, buy yourself a boston shaker, and use the money you saved to buy yourself a nice Yeti 400 from Goal Zero with maybe 60 watts of panels, and some Cointreau. You'll save yourself a heap of trouble and easily be the most sophisticated person ever to attend Bonnaroo.

:sombrero:

I'm already the most sophisticated guy to attend Bonnaroo. I only drink the best box wine in camp.
:)

I hear you on the Goal Zero. I bought the Suburban to serve as a camping vehicle. Do I don't mind the permanent mount application specific modifications such as dual batteries and solar set up.

Lykos

Super Trucker
I agree with the blender advice.

The rest of the set up as proposed by the original poster is fine. Do it in stages. Get your second battery mounted and charging-the Blue Sea relay works great. Then do your interior feed and inside fuse panel, then last, add the solar. It's much easier to think about projects in stages instead of one huge project all at once.

The Renogy panels are very nice. A suburban has a big roof and it's hard to have too much charging capacity. I would mount 2 100 watt panels and maybe add 2 more later. Block the solar project out for now and worry about getting your dual batteries installed, and go from there.

I would not bother to upgrade your alternator until it dies. There are very few times you need more alternator generating capacity even with two batteries. The alternator will not be the limiting factor when charging your batteries. Batteries can only accept charge so fast, especially when almost full, and bigger alternators do not help. Save your money. With a fridge, especially a larger one, the trick is enough STORED power, not alternator capacity. You'll address that with a second battery-but make it a big one that has some deep cycle capacity.

See any issues with wiring the winch to the yellow top?

Lykos

Super Trucker
RE: blender

I have on board air. I suppose an air powered blender would be Bonnaroo cool too. :D

ChadHahn

Adventurer
If you want a blender go for something like the TailGator gas powered blender. It gets 6,500 MPG (Margaritas Per Gallon).

tailgator-gas-powered-3860.jpg

Chad

Lykos

Super Trucker
If you want a blender go for something like the TailGator gas powered blender. It gets 6,500 MPG (Margaritas Per Gallon).

tailgator-gas-powered-3860.jpg

Chad

Oh my... That's like an alcoholics wet dream.

I should expect such input from you. Chads are always charming, highly intelligent, resourceful and the coolest people you know. The only thing more awesome than a Chad's awesomeness is a Chad's humility.

Signed

(Also) Chad

ChadHahn

Adventurer
Oh my... That's like an alcoholics wet dream.

I should expect such input from you. Chads are always charming, highly intelligent, resourceful and the coolest people you know. The only thing more awesome than a Chad's awesomeness is a Chad's humility.

Signed

(Also) Chad

I feel the same way Chad. Just don't read the Urban Dictionary post on the name. It's nothing but lies.

Chad (too)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998