OVRLND CAMPERS ONLY : Post your OVRLND Camper build here or a link to your build thread to inspire others!

dstefan

Curious to see folks wind deflectors. After running into 75-100mph head winds on the interstate for 7 hours I am curious about installing one. I have an extended/king cab so there's limited roof mounted options and it'll be good to see what creative minds have come up with.

Titan had plenty of power to deal with it but mileage was pretty horrible.

Propex worked a treat and was able to maintain comfortable temps inside despite 10 degrees temps outside. I do need to insulate the cnc bent frame and put up a headliner.

View attachment 753638
View attachment 753640
I’ve been noodling on this for a while; have the 10” cabover so more wind resistance. Haven’t come to a conclusion yet,though.

The whole topic has been discussed well in this Wander the West thread, though not for Ovrlnds specifically.

Given your short roofline, you may be stuck with a splitter under the cabover or a deflector attached to the Ovrlnd cabover, not the truck roof.

AZflyer

Looking for suggestion on how to carry my mountain bike. Right now if not packed with gear the bike goes inside the camper, but with gear the bike stays home. Looking for a single bike carrier that will not be too hard to remove and move out of way for opening camper. I don't ask for much :)

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I've got a Kuat 2 bike carrier that converts to a 4 if my kids care coming with. It tilts down, but not far enough for me to open the tailgate. So, I bought a RIGD swing out and mounted the bike carrier on that. Not fast, not cheap, and generally stays in place for a while, but it met the needs I had at the time.

montechie

Nothing super exciting but I took advantage of sales at Tnutz and Prinsu and added cross bars to my roof tracks. I used mounting feet from Prinsu (came with all hardware) and then 1"x2"x55" 8020 for the bars. I have double length roof tracks and for now am doing 3 cross bars. One near the back for my 4 Maxxtrax (using a board mount from Prinsu) when traveling (normally stored inside) and 2 bars up front to carry skis, shovel, etc. I actually use my boards often and wanted a place to keep them on trips when they're dirty/wet/icy. I'm also hoping to protect my roof vent from trees too with the front bars. I added black plastic endcaps from Tnutz to give the ends a finished look.

I ordered hardware and extrusions for an interior shelf and will be adding that and finishing some mount and insulation work soon!

back-rail.jpgmid-rail.jpg

jagarcia89

Curious to see folks wind deflectors. After running into 75-100mph head winds on the interstate for 7 hours I am curious about installing one. I have an extended/king cab so there's limited roof mounted options and it'll be good to see what creative minds have come up with.

I added a deflector after a few drives. It definitely helped with the noise if nothing else. Though certain wind pattern/speeds I actually get some noise from the fairing itself. I went with a cheapo one mounted to a single rhino cross bar. I'm contemplating getting a more substantial one that's a bit taller or adding a light bar on top of the rail. I've driven over 100mph with it but typically cruise highways 80-85mph it's only helped.
1671648490057.png

jagarcia89

Has anyone tried unscrewing one of the roof screws? Trying to see if they are self tapped or into a rivnut on the ceiling beams.

Reason is I did not get the roof rails from the factory (should’ve but didn’t think I’d be using them). I want to use this star link mount intended for sprinters so I'm trying to add just a short section of T-track to the roof. I’m trying to figure out if it’s as simple as unscrewing a 2-3 of the screws, putting some fresh sealant and reinstalling the screws through a T-track, unistrut or piece of 8020.

This seems like it would be the easiest option for fastening something to the roof unless someone has other ideas. The dish wouldn't be up in motion so the load would be low. I would just set it up there on its regular stand but I can't reach up there with the top open and it won't stay in place during the few second of wedge mode going up and down.

1671650603632.png 1671650617712.png
1671650912257.png

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Yes, but only two. I had the factory tracks installed, as I already had the feet from a previous build. Unscrewed the two end screws to add the nutsert plates and called it good. Cant weight in on the rest of the install.

WanderingBison

Has anyone tried unscrewing one of the roof screws? Trying to see if they are self tapped or into a rivnut on the ceiling beams.

Reason is I did not get the roof rails from the factory (should’ve but didn’t think I’d be using them). I want to use this star link mount intended for sprinters so I'm trying to add just a short section of T-track to the roof. I’m trying to figure out if it’s as simple as unscrewing a 2-3 of the screws, putting some fresh sealant and reinstalling the screws through a T-track, unistrut or piece of 8020.

This seems like it would be the easiest option for fastening something to the roof unless someone has other ideas. The dish wouldn't be up in motion so the load would be low. I would just set it up there on its regular stand but I can't reach up there with the top open and it won't stay in place during the few second of wedge mode going up and down.

View attachment 757550 View attachment 757551
View attachment 757553

Unfortunately I can’t help with you question, but I’d love to know more about that Starlink mount please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jagarcia89

Unfortunately I can’t help with you question, but I’d love to know more about that Starlink mount please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Link below It's for a sprinter. Kind of pricey for what it is IMO. I haven't bought it yet and may try to find a different/more economical solution. Jay says they are just sheet metal screws so can be removed but don't over torque. Given it's just sheet metal screws I may consider just adding a tie down plate and use it as a tether to just hold the dish from sliding forward on it's regular stand during pop up and take down of the roof. Im just not sure about it's side to side motion on a single rail with only 2-3 screws

dstefan

Link below It's for a sprinter. Kind of pricey for what it is IMO. I haven't bought it yet and may try to find a different/more economical solution. Jay says they are just sheet metal screws so can be removed but don't over torque. Given it's just sheet metal screws I may consider just adding a tie down plate and use it as a tether to just hold the dish from sliding forward on it's regular stand during pop up and take down of the roof. Im just not sure about it's side to side motion on a single rail with only 2-3 screws

If you want a permanent install of the plate, you could VHB it AND add 2 -3 screws and Sikaflex caulk the edges. If you really want to 110% it, could add Eterna Bond tape on top of the plate, but you’ll likely never get it off, at least without a ton of work.

WanderingBison

Thanks - I’ve used their mounts before, they make solid parts. I at the researching options stage.

I’ve also seen the Starlink adjustable angle mount be used really successfully … options are good :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Well, I just a deposit down for a 8' camper. Looking forward to not tent camping anymore as the wife and I are both 50 or older now and need sleeping arrangements where we're sleeping on something more like a bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle