OZ amature radio bands.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Anybody know what are the most common bands of radio service used in the outback?

I have no plans of visiting but I like to add detail to my daydreams. :eek:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
http://www.phoenixdownunder.net/

...is a group of folks that converse daily via IRLP from Phx to Sydney via the Western Reflector. If you have an IRLP node close by, you can join in!

I've had several good chats via IRLP with Aussie hams. They are a freindly bunch of folks.

So, don't just dream it, get in contact with'm!

Mark

gary in ohio

Explorer
The title and question were somewhat difference

here is the Australian ham radio band plan. hflink.com/bandplans/australia_bandplan.pdf
The bands are very similar to US ham bands. Most ham bands are similar. Some chop the bands at one end or the other. Band plan and license class usage will vary but freq are pretty static.

For Australian there is a HF outback radio system that is used. You have been directed to those in other replys. Those are more a network of users. Long range communications service. There is one managed by the 4x4 clubs, one for the flying doctors and a couple of commercial ventures. The only thing close in the US is the single Alaska emergency frequency 5167.5 kHz but that is only usable in AK and only for emergencies.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
crawler#976: Thats a very good suggestion. There is an IRLP node close by and I have downloaded the echolink SW. One evening I'll noodle out the details and make it all work either on my PC or with my mobile rig.

gary: That is what I was looking for, I just didn't know how to frame the question correctly. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan