OZ Tent and COld Weather

Big Daddy Chia

Adventurer
How well does the oztent do in colder weather. I froze my butt off this weekend and that was with being fully clothed a 30 degree sleeping bag and a comforter over that.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Were you in an OZtent?

As with all tents, they can get cold. The interior of an OZt is pretty big; even for the RV-2, so it may be difficult to heat with just your body. If you're on the ground, a good closed cell foam pad, or other insulating mat, can make all the difference in the world, as conduction from the ground is a big factor in getting cold.

I've only camped in my RV5 down to the low 40s so far, with no issues. If I were going to be in snow/cold environments I'd likely do a full closed cell foam floor, and a tent heater.

I do think the material of the Oztent does a much better job at retaining heat than a nylon tent would.

Hope that helps. I love my OzTent!

-H-

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Hltoppr said:
Were you in an OZtent?

As with all tents, they can get cold. The interior of an OZt is pretty big; even for the RV-2, so it may be difficult to heat with just your body. If you're on the ground, a good closed cell foam pad, or other insulating mat, can make all the difference in the world, as conduction from the ground is a big factor in getting cold.

I've only camped in my RV5 down to the low 40s so far, with no issues. If I were going to be in snow/cold environments I'd likely do a full closed cell foam floor, and a tent heater.

I do think the material of the Oztent does a much better job at retaining heat than a nylon tent would.

Hope that helps. I love my OzTent!

-H-
I assume the oztent is canvas?

mike h

Adventurer
x2 what Hltoppr said - it is less about the tent and more about the sleeping pad and bag. Regardless of tent material, if you are relying on your body heat alone to warm up the tent interior, it's not going to make a big difference.

A 30 degree bag is basically the 'least warm' bag you can get, so I wouldn't expect it to do much. A thick sleeping pad or mat will make a big difference, so will a liner bag of silk or synthetic. Sleeping in warm poly or silk underlayers will also help. But if the ground is cold, it will suck all the heat out of you very quickly unless you have a closed cell or thermorest style pad.

mike

Big Daddy Chia

Adventurer
thanks for the advice guys. I wasnt in an OZ tent I just didnt know if a canvas type tent vs a convential tent would make a huge difference. what about when ur in an RTT. what kind of difference does that make.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I don't think it has as much to do with the tent vs. the sleeping pad (for insulation) and the sleeping bag. The temp ratings are generally more for survivial vs. comfort and each manufacturer is different on this as well.

I would start with a better bag. Also, what type of pad/mat are you using? I've slept comfortably in single digit weather in an REI 0* bag and a plain ol' thermarest in a ground tent. My wife on the other hand doesn't have as much natural insulation, so she needs a warmer bag in the same climates.

I've also read (I don't know if this is true, but it seems like it works for me) that wearing a lot of extra clothing inside a bag prevents the bag from working at peak efficiency. You mentioned that you were fully clothed; so this is why I bring it up.

I find that just wearing a thinner base layer, such as those by smartwool or duofold and medium weight wool socks is best. This thinner layer allows enough body heat to warm up the bag, which in turn, keeps me warmer. As I said, this only seems to work well for me...anyone have any further thoughts on this?

Harald Hansen

Explorer
In addition to the other suggestions you have received, you might strip down a bit when you get in the bag. In my experience, bringing outer layers of clothing into the bag only makes it colder. Sleep in your long underwear and socks, nothing else. And don't forget a hat! Most of your heat loss is through your head.

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
In order to stay warm, here's are the methods in order of importance:

Quality bag - temp ratings from brands such as Marmot and Western Mountaineering are comfort ratings. From most other brands they are survival ratings. It must be the right length as well.

Sleeping pad - this is almost as important as the bag as mentioned above. Closed cell is superior to air.

Wear clothing in the bag - the more clothing the better as long as the bulk of the clothing doesn't compress the bag's insulation. Do not wear your rain gear or other layers that don't breath well. Always wear socks and a beanie if it's cold and always sinch the hood down correctly - do not breath into your bag as the moisture from your breath will raise the humidity in the bag and make you colder.

Overbag - synthetic bag that you wear over your down bag. Adds 10-15 deg in warmth. Especially effective for cold, humid climates because it moves the point at which condensation freezes away from the outermost down and into the synthetic overbag.

Liner - Silk is best, stay away from cotton. Adds up to 5 deg of warmth.

A few other tips to sleep warm: do jumping jacks before getting into the bag - sends blood to the extremeties and creates a little metabolic heat to jump start the heat in the bag. Empty your bladder - it takes metabolic energy to keep that pee warm in your body so get rid of it. Fully fluff the bag when you pull it out of the stuff sack and leave it out for an hour before getting in so it has time to fully loft.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
There is some good stuff in this thread. Insulating your body from the ground is with out a doubt the most important, and toughest, thing to do.

Here are a couple of other things that have not been mentioned.

Long term your bag will last longer and loft better if you store it hanging up rather than stuffed into a bag. The longer it spends compressed the harder it is for the fill to expand and the less insulation it will provide, this is true for all fill types. Better bags have loops sewn in for hanging.

Air your bag out every morning. Even in cold weather it will get some of the moisture out of the bag and you will sleep warmer that night.

A double wall tent will be warmer than a single wall tent. The dead air between the tent walls provides a lot of insulation.

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
FYI - an airbed doesn't count much for "off the ground" in cold weather becuse the air in the mattress will equalize to the ambient air temp and any insulation that's under you will be compressed by your body weight. So, if it's 25* out you're sleeping on 25* with no insulation. You will be cold. If you like the airbed, you can buy a foam topper at walmart for less than $20 that will enable you to sleep on an airbed with sheets/comforter down to the high 20s or low 30s.

jbs

Observer
adventurebuddies said:
FYI - an airbed doesn't count much for "off the ground" in cold weather becuse the air in the mattress will equalize to the ambient air temp and any insulation that's under you will be compressed by your body weight. So, if it's 25* out you're sleeping on 25* with no insulation. You will be cold.

x2

adventurebuddies said:
If you like the airbed, you can buy a foam topper at walmart for less than $20 that will enable you to sleep on an airbed with sheets/comforter down to the high 20s or low 30s.

Or try one of these. Pricely, but very warm and comfy.
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/downmats.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger