Ozark Mtns, Nov 2010: "100 Meters at a Time"

TheBlackSheep

Observer
Nice, enjoyed the write-up. Kind of bummed, seems like my wide 80 wouldn't fare so well.

Not on the "100 Meters After Yesterday" Trail, no. In some places on that trail, even in my Jeep (which stayed home due to lack of snorkel and unknown river levels), it would have been like playing the old 80's board game, Operation. One thing folks need to remember regarding that trail specifically, the only evidence we saw of vehicular traffic was some broken glass and a piece of quarter panel molding. Not even the National Parks Service used vehicles on that stretch of trail. Evidence of their surveying teams on 4 wheelers was all we really saw, and even they commonly used bypasses.

In retrospect, sure, it took us 6 hours to go 5 miles, but honestly that was a very, very small part of the myriad of great 2's and 2.5's, and even a sprinkling of 3 that are definitely on the manifest for April. In fact, and I think Wes pointed this out already, there is so much good trail up there, that we may be looking at two trips, one in April and one in May.

To touch a little on what Mike was referencing in regards to logistics for this trip, we're looking at a new rally/group-based set up. We discussed this extensively the whole weekend.

5 vehicles per group, Group leader with full recovery, 2M radio and GPS in the front, Assistant Group Leader in the back with similar build. Rally route will be pre-planned, camp sites pre-selected, with alternative, main route- connected trails of greater difficulty available for braver, more technically-inclined groups (their discretion). Groups will operate independently, yet be responsible for assembling as a rally at pre-selected camp sites. In short, the groups operate independently (for the most part), yet everyone camps (and parties!) together.

That is what we're leaning towards. I'm sure Wes and Mike can expound further.

Last edited:

Taildragon

I would love to join, I'll put it on the calender and see when it gets a little closer. I live in Bentonville, Ar. Justin

Here's the rig, lil poser shot of the new rear bumper this fall. :sombrero:

Attachments

• LC2.jpg
    LC2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 17
  • rsz_moab_2010_383.jpg
    rsz_moab_2010_383.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 12

fishEH

Explorer
Well I'm definitely interested in this trip and I've plenty of time off work. Just need to convince my wife of yet another trip.
Hopefully one of the groups will be bypassing the "100 meter" section.

Bullseye240

Adventurer
Thanks for making me homesick! I miss running around the Ozarks, can't wait to get back home and find some of those trails. I'll have to look you up when we get back stateside. Thanks for the photos and can't wait to read the trip report this spring.

Thanks,
Jim

RSB

Adventurer
good news! We'd love to have ya Justin. And welcome to ExPo. Nice truck... ;)

I would love to join, I'll put it on the calender and see when it gets a little closer. I live in Bentonville, Ar. Justin

Here's the rig, lil poser shot of the new rear bumper this fall. :sombrero:

RSB

Adventurer
Erbie Church...

1144304219_vAGqv-X3-1.jpg

1144303337_TTbyx-X3-1.jpg

always good to see... :ylsmoke:

1144304736_AV89L-XL-1.jpg

1144305731_zVctz-X3-1.jpg

do you see what I see?! :Wow1:

1117574035_8ywrV-XL.jpg

let's take a closer look...

1144311629_fcYab-XL-1.jpg

1144312624_XPcpf-XL-1.jpg

back on the trail...

1144313508_bFiDQ-XL-1.jpg

we finished the day at Dixon Ford (waypoint 'Potential Campsite 7') before setting our course back to the home front...

1144316196_2NhdY-XL-3.jpg

1144317191_iivsy-XL-1.jpg

despite the challenges, we prevailed. What a privilege it was to travel with such a great crew. I look forward to the next one! :)

with our time constraints, we weren't able to cover the section indicated in navy blue. We'll come back to this.... ;) My GPS log showed we covered 239 miles total.

1144666662_pro3E-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger