Ozark Trail "High Performance" cooler - any good?

perkj

Explorer
Thanks! I think I'm just going to stick with the coleman xtreme marine 70qt Wal-Mart has on sale for $50. Maybe pick up an ozark later on.

The Xtremes (especially the Xtreme 6 vs the 5) perform very well in terms of ice retention and hold their own when stacked up against the high end coolers.

Schlitzy

Is the Coleman 52 qt? I ask because the test should be of equivalent size coolers since larger coolers will perform better than smaller with all else being equal.

The Coleman is a 54 QT so close enough. Its done an ok job for me but nothing over a couple days at most in warmer temperatures so I'll be interested to see how it does packed with ice in a controlled 69 degrees. I'm interested to see if it will hold ice as long as the 26 QT Ozark Trail.

perkj

Explorer
The Coleman is a 54 QT so close enough. Its done an ok job for me but nothing over a couple days at most in warmer temperatures so I'll be interested to see how it does packed with ice in a controlled 69 degrees. I'm interested to see if it will hold ice as long as the 26 QT Ozark Trail.

yeah those Coleman Steel Belts are claimed "4-day" coolers and from an ice retention perspective sit between the regular cheap coleman's (claimed 3-day) and the Xtreme-5 (claimed 5 day). I wish coleman would make the Steel Belt with the Xtreme-6 claimed 6 day retention insulation as it would be a nice rugged cooler at that point.

Schlitzy

24 Hour Mark

Ok guys, Full 24 hours and there is only slight ice shrinkage in all 3. Less melt and more like the ice is settling together. Each cooler was opened 2x today, once at 7am and once at 6pm MT. Pictures below.

image-29-03-16-05-55-2.jpegimage-29-03-16-05-55.jpegimage-29-03-16-05-55-1.jpeg

SgtMac

Low temperature last night was 51, daytime high was a sunny 65, it should be climbing back up to upper 70s/80s tomorrow. Instant read thermometer displayed a temperature inside the cooler of 25.8°. The ice inside is now a solid chunk of cubes with water in the bottom.

mtford350

I bought the 73 qt in Butte Montana this weekend more out of necessity than anything. Had to put some frozen and refrigerated meat in the cooler overnight and the next day and was real pleased about what i found when i unpacked it. All the frozen items stayed frozen and everything else was nice and cold. I own a 55 qt Igloo Sportsman, and this cooler seems very comparable. I am happy with both so far.

Schlitzy

Day 3 - (full 48 hours)

Full 2 days, 69 degrees F constant temperature. Some Ice loss, but all 3 looking pretty good. Coolers were opened 2x today - 7am and 5:30pm MT.

image-30-03-16-06-01-2.jpegimage-30-03-16-06-01-1.jpegimage-30-03-16-06-01.jpeg

yeos

Observer
After checking out 5 different Wal-Mart's I finally found one on the shelf! It was $194. There was also a 36qt on the shelf. There were no permanent locations on the shelf for these. They were just randomly put on the shelf.

I also picked up the 120at coleman extreme marine on sale for $35! Couldn't pass it up to use as a dedicated fish cooler. Unlike the 70l version selling for $49, this one does have the strap on the inside to keep the lid from opening too far and forcing the screws out on the hinges. There were at least 8 more on the shelf at the Wal-Mart in federal way, wa off of 314th just in case anyone else was interested. I picked up the ozark from this store as well.

Attachments

• 2016-03-30_17.56.13.jpg
    2016-03-30_17.56.13.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 155

SgtMac

Another day of the test

Still cold at night the low temperature last night was 46, daytime high today was a sunny 62, the temperature should be climbing back up to upper 70s/80s tomorrow. Instant read thermometer displayed a temperature inside the cooler of 27.5°. The ice inside is still a solid chunk of cubes with water in the bottom, it looks as if this test will be longer than 7 days.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
After checking out 5 different Wal-Mart's I finally found one on the shelf! It was $194. There was also a 36qt on the shelf. There were no permanent locations on the shelf for these. They were just randomly put on the shelf.

I also picked up the 120at coleman extreme marine on sale for $35! Couldn't pass it up to use as a dedicated fish cooler. Unlike the 70l version selling for $49, this one does have the strap on the inside to keep the lid from opening too far and forcing the screws out on the hinges. There were at least 8 more on the shelf at the Wal-Mart in federal way, wa off of 314th just in case anyone else was interested. I picked up the ozark from this store as well.

That's a steal for the Coleman 120 Marine, I have the Igloo Marine 94 for the fish cooler and the Coleman Extreme Marine Ultimate 70 for food, both are over 5 years old and still going strong. The Ultimate has gone up in price about $30 since I picked it up. I like the Igloo Marine series because they have the cooler seat cushions that are a direct fit and works great on our boat.

Titan_Bow

I went and looked, the local Wally world here had one of the 73 quart coolers for $194 I was very close to pulling the trigger but didnt.. I have a 35 and 45 quart Yeti presently, and have been wanting a larger cooler that performs well. To be honest, the 35 quart Yeti is sort of useless to me. Its about enough for a six pack of beer and a few sandwiches, but not much else. I have a big 120qt. coleman that I take deer hunting, but it holds ice about as well as a cardboard box. I'm guessing I could probably sell the little Yeti for about the same as the Wallyworld one.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I went and looked, the local Wally world here had one of the 73 quart coolers for $194 I was very close to pulling the trigger but didnt.. I have a 35 and 45 quart Yeti presently, and have been wanting a larger cooler that performs well. To be honest, the 35 quart Yeti is sort of useless to me. Its about enough for a six pack of beer and a few sandwiches, but not much else. I have a big 120qt. coleman that I take deer hunting, but it holds ice about as well as a cardboard box. I'm guessing I could probably sell the little Yeti for about the same as the Wallyworld one.

Sounds like a plan!

SgtMac

Getting close to a week

The low temperature last night was 57, daytime high today was a sunny 78. Instant read thermometer displayed a temperature of 28.5°. The ice inside is still a solid chunk of cubes with water in the bottom, it looks as if this test will be longer than 7 days. Tomorrow morning makes a week, the beverages in the cooler are still frosty cold.

Schlitzy

Day 4 (Full 72 Hours)

Ok, Day 4 here.... Full 72 hours since ice was placed in the coolers. Constant 69 degrees F and each cooler was opened 2x again today (7am and 5:30pm MT). The 26 QT Ozark trail and Coleman Steel Belted 54 QT have about 2/3rds the ice remaining. The 52 QT Ozark Trail has about 75% of the ice remaining.

Pictures below...

image-31-03-16-05-39-1.jpegimage-31-03-16-05-39.jpegimage-31-03-16-05-39-2.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan