Ozark Trail/Walmart camping equipment

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
Where can I buy a pop-up privacy tent if I am only allowed to source from companies that pay fair wages? Can you recommend a company? Also I am trying to find small kitchen tongs that will pack small.

Thanks in advance

MOguy

Explorer
I can't tell if you're being snarky or not, but in any case, here's a good place to start looking: https://www.americangearguide.com/

Read what the FTC (federal trade commission) about Made in the USA. American is a big place comprised of many Countries. It has no government nor any citizens. Made in America is not made in the USA.

American made is a marketing term and means very little if anything at all, that is unethical. At least marking something made "Made in China" is an honest statement.

Everybody has their pet peeves, mine is "American Made" vs made in the USA.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-made-usa-standard
"Example: A company promotes its product in an ad that features a manager describing the "true American quality" of the work produced at the company's American factory. Although there is no express representation that the company's product is made in the U.S., the overall — or net — impression the ad is likely to convey to consumers is that the product is of U.S. origin."

Clawhammer

Adventurer
American made is a marketing term and means very little if anything at all, that is unethical. At least marking something made "Made in China" is an honest statement.

Everybody has their pet peeves, mine is "American Made" vs made in the USA.

That's a fair point, and it is irritating, but if you poke around that site you'll find plenty of small companies that are, in fact, located in the US.

What do you find unethical??

....a business built on slave wages, with employees requiring government benefits to survive, all while the owners are the richest single family in the country.

How does anyone not have a very real problem with our tax dollars being used to pad WalMart's profit margin?

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
That's a fair point, and it is irritating, but if you poke around that site you'll find plenty of small companies that are, in fact, located in the US.

How does anyone not have a very real problem with our tax dollars being used to pad WalMart's profit margin?

Walmart operates of a much much smaller profit margin then other small business. I would bet most small business use more minimum wage worker proportionately then Walmart.

I am not trying to trying to tell you walmart is great but the reality is they are no different than most other retail businesses. They are just bigger and Mrs Obama didn't shop at one and have her picture taken. In many case Walmart may be better than other small businesses. You have a better chance to move up to some level of management in a Walmart then you do in a small business and have a better chance of profit sharing, full time work, and benefits.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Walmart operates of a much much smaller profit margin then other small business. I would bet most small business use more minimum wage worker proportionately then Walmart..

Yeah, the Waltons are barely making it....

I don't know what the first lady has to do with this conversation, and nothing else you said refutes my initial point, so I'm out.

Enjoy your cheap plastic "stuff."

MOguy

Explorer
I don't even think that family is in control of Walmart anymore. Is it really because you hate Walmart or just rich people? The only thing Walmart did was do things better and got bigger. They do more for the employees and many other retailers.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Ok, for real, last comment on the matter.

What I hate is not wealth, but greed. And greed is why Walmart bilks taxpayers. Greed is why they exploit their workers and suppliers.

And greed is why people, aware of these things, still shop there.

MOguy

Explorer

What I hate is not wealth, but greed. And greed is why Walmart bilks taxpayers. Greed is why they exploit their workers and suppliers.

So Walmart negotiates deals and pays workers low wages because they are greedy. If some other business pays their workers the same wages and negotiates deals to benefit themselves are they also greedy or they just doing business?

Are people who put their own interest or their families interests ahead of others greedy terrible people or is it just the Walmart family?

Do you have any luxuries or do you live off just the Bare Essentials and give everything else to others?

Last edited:

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
While I am not a fan of Wal-Mart's labor practices, I don't see anywhere they are forcing people to work for the wages they pay.

MOguy

Explorer
While I am not a fan of Wal-Mart's labor practices, I don't see anywhere they are forcing people to work for the wages they pay.

If you're unskilled and don't have a lot to offer they're no worse than in the other place that will hire you

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

Here is one suggestion(may sound a bit like Darwinism), but maybe if their workers(employees) were smarter they would not work where they may be exploited. Or maybe if more than half their employees weren't covered in piercings and tattoos they would have a better job. Our current life we live is the result of our own choices, if someone doesn't make good choices and ends up working at wally world as a result then that is on them, like it or hate it that is the truth. We actually buy very little there, and like it or not it is because some items are cheaper than other places.

MOguy

Explorer
But back on topic:

What "good enough" camping gear can we get at Walmart and how can we save a buck.

P.S. (off topic)
Walmart pays the same or better than other stores like them.

Walmart is big and is seen as the Big mean guy that took out the little guy and maybe they are but so are all the other large retailers. Walmart just did it better.

If you want to blame somebody blame Nixon for encouraging a relationship with China, Carter for giving China a Favorable Status, Reagan for reducing regulations, Clinton for NAFTA and every other politicians who has worked on allowing any current trade regulation the US has entered into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior