P3 Solar

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
That price is absurd. Over $5.50 a watt compared to a renogy 100 watt panel at less than $1.00.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
That price is absurd. Over $5.50 a watt compared to a renogy 100 watt panel at less than $1.00.

I only see renogy, with a controller, so apples to apples for $4.00 per watt. If you have a link for Renogy for $1.00 per watt with a controller, I am all in... share it...

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Ive never been a fan of rollable panels. They are either very inefficient or break since the cells they are not meant to be rolled up. Also in not a fan of those chargers. They are cheap made in china chargers that are not efficient at charging batteries.

I would second buying a renogy style hard panel(more than $1 a watt but good deals. Solarblvd.com has good ones also) and buying a morning star controller.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
My bad, just over a $1 per watt... quick tuping,opps.
But a PWM Controller is cheap these days, heck even an ecco-worthy is about $100.
So a proximity half, you get 10 more watts and a MPPT controller.
The likelihood of a rigid panel out lasting a roll or flex is almost guaranteed.

1Louder

Explorer
Hard panels will "always" be more efficient than their rollup counterparts. I have a Powerfilm 60 and Renogy 100 watt suitcase. Both work well but the Renogy works a whole lot faster. Not a true fair comparison since the Powerfilm is a 60watt setup but you can tell the difference. Turtleback Trailers has been selling the P3's with its trailers. Renogy is still more efficient. NOW the big question is do you have the room to carry a larger setup? The rollout panels are very compact. Renogy does have a really nice smaller 100 watt panel that they just released. Half the weight as the suitcase model. I am thinking of adding one to my roof rack.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Thanks for the answers. I prefer the packability but I do not want to spend $ unnecessarily for weaker performance. Thanks for the tips. I can use the suitcase style, I was exploring other options.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I've never heard of a flexible solar panel that had good reviews after a short time of use. Even ones meant to be mounted permanently on non-flat surfaces lose massive amounts of capability when flexed.

It really trashes those cells when they have no rigid protection.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I appreciate the replies here. Leaning towards hard panels in a suitcase style. Storage is not a huge issue, just important enough to consider all options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998