Pacific Crest TRail

XJxplorer

Adventurer
Has anyone here hiked long distance on the PCT?? A few friends and I are planning a trip from Big Bear, CA to Hood River, OR next summer...

Just curious if anyone here has any experience/stories/tips from the PCT...

Thanks!!

Mike:26_7_2:

Hello Mike,

Many years ago, I hiked the majority of the PCT. It was an awesome experience. I remember that I thought about food a lot!

One thing to keep in mind is that it is a Crest trail, and that means that most of the time your water source is below you. So, you are hiking ridges and crests and your creeks and lakes are below. Generally, that means in the evening you hike down to the water source and start your morning hiking back up to the ridge and crest trail.

In some places you have to cache water before you go, probably not in your situation.

Make sure you have bail out points in case of illness or if your boots or stove decide to die. Or if bears eat your pack :shakin:

Hiking around Crater Lake is a lot of hiking in the trees, but once you get to the Cascades--man, what views! And views to exclaim over in the High Sierra's! The hardest part is through the Mohave.

Sounds like a super trip for you!!

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I hiked from Campo to Warner Springs in 1994 with a friend. We spent 8 days on the trail if I remember correctly and it was around 110 mi total. It was June and it was hot.

Not sure about hiking with more than one other person. I think it would be frustrating.

paulj

Expedition Leader
There are forums dedicated to hiking this trail, lots of trail journals, and some books. A food magazine even has a recent article on eating along the trail (by a San Francisco journalist?).

paulj

S

Scenic WonderRunner

On Sat. I walked a few feet of the PCT......in Anza Borrego!

2007_0825ADV4x4EricAnzaBorreg0022.jpg

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I would not hike with anyone who I hadn't already spent at least a few weeks on the trail with. How many friends are we talking about here?

XJxplorer

Adventurer
Thanks for all the info guys!!!

WE have been planning it for the last year now..

There is 3 of us. Me, my Fiance, and my cousin...We have all been hiking/training our butts off for the last year...

cruiser guy

Explorer
I've hiked from Mazama, WA to Manning Park in Canada the weekend before 9-11. You need to check with the park rangers regarding crossing the border BEFORE you head out. They get grumpy if they don't know about you. That was a four day/3 night trip that I did with the whole family my wife and our four kids who at that time ranged in age from 9 to 16 years old.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
XJxplorer said:
Thanks for all the info guys!!!

WE have been planning it for the last year now..

There is 3 of us. Me, my Fiance, and my cousin...We have all been hiking/training our butts off for the last year...

Good to hear. I went on a week trip with a few friends of friends once. By day 4, I was excusing myself from the group. This will be a good test for the relationship:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior