Paint and body work Unimog camper

lost1

After a ridiculously long time to completion of my build, I have decided that working on the outside my Unimog camper wouldn't be such a bad idea. I have been using it for years and like the fact that due to its somewhat ratty looking exterior I don't have to worry about scratching the paint etc. However the rust in the Unimog cab and overall appearance is kind of getting to me. Although I did all the fabrication of the camper, I am quite inexperienced in doing body work and paint (and actually find it a somewhat daunting task). I was considering doing a trip from Canada to Mexico or Central America to have this work done. Has anyone done this or have recommendations.IMG_8616.JPG

Something to really consider is time tables for a project that big in Latin America.
I don't have personal experiences here, but when I traveled in a VW West, I did think about rust repair, and a respray in Tijuana, Mexico. At either Maya or Los Panchos. I'm sure there are likely more economical places further south. But those are the ones that became popular with Americans doing van restores.

Deleted Member 183

The south side of Ensenada is a quite large industrial complex that caters to the marine and transport trades. I'm sorry I can't suggest anybody specifically. But, I can say that that is where I'll be going to repaint my rig (if i don't do it myself). The good thing is that it is 1+ hours drive to San Diego. It is not uncommon for companies/ factories/ parts houses to send a driver over the border to get supplies in SD.

May I also suggest that you do the refurbishment on your Mog on the way BACK home your CA trip! A "Crisp & sparkley" big $x$ camper may draw some attention "of the un-wanted kind" on your travels.

lost1

Thanks for the comments. From what I read it looks like it may take a longer time frame than what I estimated for the body work and paint. Not too concerned about drawing attention to the thing, in some cases that has actually made it less desirable for thieves. I found that the more unique/odd the vehicle, the more attention it draws and the less likely someone messes with it. It also opens doors, however this is dependant on the owner and how they engage with locals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior