Paint to match JK tank green?

kayadog

Adventurer
Does anyone know a commonly available paint to match tank green for touch up? The Mopar version is almost $20 for 1/2 oz. and doesn’t match or go on great. Thanks!

kayadog

Adventurer
Thanks for the Google search but I was hoping to hear from someone who was successfully used a product. I also should have been more specific that I’m looking for something to brush on, not spray.

pith helmet

When we bought our 2018 a tube of touch up paint showed up in the mailbox. Unexpected and much needed. Depending on how big a spot you are touching up, the little Mopar tube with the prep tip is pretty good.

kayadog

Adventurer
Thank you— that’s what I usually use but just ran out of. I go through a lot as the paint flakes off the JK door hinges. It’s currently about $18 for 1/2 oz. which is a lot. Tank is an unusual color but I was hoping to find something like a rustoleum or duplicolor that is more like $7 a quart and probably works better. Maybe a better question for a JK specific forum.

pith helmet

I put mud flaps on the front after the first few hinge chips. No more chips.
You might take a few pics of your paint in different light with your phone and go to a paint store and match as close as possible to a qt of oil based exterior paint.
Good luck.

kayadog

Adventurer
Thanks— mud flaps would probably help. I’ll eventually have to replace the hinges. My plan is to get something mixed at the paint store if there isn’t something off the shelf.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Look at the three letter paint code on the door sticker, then goto your local auto parts store - they can mix a can for you, or send out and get one mixed up and order it in.
Lordco was my local and did it.

I did it for mine (Sahara Tan color - code 'PFD') and it match was excellent.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears