Paint XJ molding

gwayms

Observer
I am thinking about painting the side trim and bumpers black. Was thinking about using flat black or rhino liner type stuff. Has anyone done this or have any ideas? Something like this, not sure who's jeep it is but saw it on line.

Attachments

• orange jeepp.JPG
    orange jeepp.JPG
    412.8 KB · Views: 55

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Krylon fusion is by far the best paint i've used for plastic. I did my flares and my panels with it in silver. Though i might end up changing colors, i'll for sure use fusion again. You can get it anywhere like home depot or lowes.

I used satin black for my wranglers flares, and silver hammered for my xj.

Good luck!
-brian

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
A lot of people use bedliner on the lower rocker area like you want to in order to avoid the chipping that paint might do after time. I would think it's tougher to clean though. I'd just rattle can the flares.

xjjeepthing

I would Krylon fusion for the plastics and a bedliner foe the bumpers and lower rockers. I used Duplicolor aerosol spray on mine. Sand the crap out of the bumpers and rockers first. The spray is much smoother then the roll on and easier to clean
004-4.jpg

alexfm

Explorer
Krylon fusion is by far the best paint i've used for plastic. I did my flares and my panels with it in silver. Though i might end up changing colors, i'll for sure use fusion again. You can get it anywhere like home depot or lowes.

I used satin black for my wranglers flares, and silver hammered for my xj.

Good luck!
-brian
Would you mind posting a picture of the XJ flares? Hammered silver sounds cool, But I'd like to see how it looks first.

Alex.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Would you mind posting a picture of the XJ flares? Hammered silver sounds cool, But I'd like to see how it looks first.

Alex.

sure thing, Alex:

My paint is rustoleum semi-gloss black oil-based enamal, and the trim is Krylon fusion hammered silver. Both have been very durable for about 8 months now.

Before
DSC05070r.jpg

After

DSC09307r.jpg

DSC07762r.jpg

DSC01095.jpg

DSC01101.jpg

Azlugz

Adventurer
The Krylon Fusion works good on the metal too. I have been painting bumpers, plastic and wheels with it. Good prep work is the key!!! The other nice thing on the Hammered finish, is that that when you repaint areas you gouge on rocks....like bumpers or rails...the repainted spot blends in real good. I used the Hammered black on my LJ the whole time I had it, worked great!!!

I am using Hammered brown Krylon Fusion...

Prolly all have seen the pics but...
attachment.php

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
that grand looks great. Been thinking of switching up my trim color from black and silver to black and ???

the original color is black and silver, so I'll likely keep the black, but I might just murder out the whole car, or do something like tan or brown for trim...

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I was thinking it would be kind of fun to do a flat no-gloss olive drab color, then all my hardware like bumpers and stuff do in black and black out my tail light covers turn signals and stuff. It would be kind of a stealth XJ then.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I was thinking it would be kind of fun to do a flat no-gloss olive drab color, then all my hardware like bumpers and stuff do in black and black out my tail light covers turn signals and stuff. It would be kind of a stealth XJ then.

i think that'd look nice!

consider the semi-gloss rustoleum for your main paint color, its not shiny at all. Has a really nice sheen, though. Very low profile. flat looks too much like primer for my tastes. I rolled mine on with a high density foam, mini-roller, and took lots of time with my prep.

There's lots of primered/flat-colored cars near where I live in el cajon..haha...no bueno.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179