Pan-American Expedition

jlit

You guys do bring up very good points. We were thinking of going with tundras over tacomas mainly because of the power it's going to take to get through mountain ranges like those in bolivia, plus we need the maximum possible amount of storage space for all our gear. Film gear, communication gear, expedition gear, all-in-all, a metric ******* ton.

However, I think 3 important factors we would like for our vehicle are reliablility, diesel (if possible), and fixability. I thought a newer toyota would be best because it would have fewer breakdowns in the course of 3 years, please correct me if I'm wrong. Is the Hilux diesel? Also, we are setting up one large insurance plan here in california to cover people, equipment, and vehicle, and would it be an issue to register the hilux here in the US? I hear I can get a new one from guatemala, but where is the closest?

Also, I've barely heard anyone mention Land Rover. What do you guys think of new rovers? Considering petrol, reliability, and fixability, do you think a land rover discovery is a good option? I really question whether it could be enough space.

jlit

Alright guys, we would love to do this expedition with 2 toyota hilux's. What is it going to take to get two new ones up here? The closest place we've found thus far is mexico city. Anyone know of anything closer to the border?

Also, there are some cool features of the tundra I can't find out about on the hilux. With the tundra, though automatic, can be driven like a standard. Seems very practical. Also, the rear crew cab window rolls down offering a lot of access to the back of the truck, also handy. I test drove a tundra today and was very impressed, especially with the turning radius.

How would you compare the tundra to the hilux? Also, storage space comparison?

thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle