Pan American Van

My wife and I are going on a trip from Pittsburgh to Ushuia beginning in October of 2018 and cannot make a decision on a vehicle. We have about $20000 to work with for a vehicle and I'm hoping I can get some input so we can finally begin our buildout into a custom camper (bed, solar, water, stove, heat fridge, etc all of which is separate from the $20000 for the vehicle)

We plan to take a minimum of 2 years to complete the trip.

Option 1: 1991 Chevy G20
Thete is a 1991 Chevy G20 that we could buy from a family member for about $1500. It has 125,000 miles with a new crate engine at 90,000 among other documented repairs over the years. It has a Tv top but I would really prefer to be able to stand if possible (I'm 6'1") so we thought about replacing the roof among the other numerous repairs necessary for a 1991 van. I will gut this van once I get it to rebuild into our custom camper. This obviously allows us a lot of savings on vehicle cost.

Option 2: 2015 Ford Transit 250 HR
We have been looking at 2015 Ford Transit 250 High Roof vans with the 3.5L v6 turbo. The high roof is 9'1 so i know that limits us but it gives me tons of room inside. Is it realistic to bring a newer Ford Transit through the Pan Am? This is currently our #1 dream due to size and comfort.

Option 3: Ford E350
Does anyone think i could find a GOOD condition E350 4x4 with a high roof or pop top for $20000? Or a van that I could upgrade with those things for around the same price?

Option 4: Other?
What else would anyone recommend? I can offer additional information on my wants/needs. I am ideally looking for van recommendations that I can purchase easily in the USA.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Jason

canuck 1

nautical disaster
Option 1, without a high roof....think wind
option 4, an E250-350 2wd without a high top....think wind
option 5. Bite the bullet and buy a 4wd sprinter

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Don't forget about shipping past the darien gap. Too tall and you need to do shipping wheels, or do roll on roll off shipping. Roro has security issues for anything of value left in the van.

I would suggest a gasoline transit. Is 4x4 a must have? Will you be shipping back, selling, or driving back?

With proper suspension changes a high roof van will handle fine. The factory high roof vans are pretty good in this regard.

Remember you, or a mechanic will need to fix any problems. You can air mail most parts under 25lbs easy enough, but the diagnostics to find the problem can be a challenge on some vehicles.

Last edited:

Deshet

Adventurer
Buy my specialty built undercover van 2002 Ford e250 Hightop 5.4 with 20,000 miles for cheap.
Have ujoint convert it to 4x4 and you are under budget and have a really nice van.
The difference between a E250 and E350 is suspension which can easiliy increase during the 4x4 conversion

Attachments

• IMG_1104.jpg
    IMG_1104.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1109.jpg
    IMG_1109.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 21

Jsweezy

Explorer
There are actually frame differences between the e250 and e350 that cant be changed without swapping but they are minimal.

Also, having ujoint convert the van will put you at or over your budget without a van...

Thanks for the input so far everyone. Still no decision made.

We still don't know if were going to sell, ship or drive it back yet. We'll have to see where the road takes us in about 3 years...

4x4 is definitely not a requirement, but I've thought about it just for the luxury of being able to go to a few more hard to reach spots with less chance of getting stuck. After some more research I think that a reliable 4x4 van is out of my price range though.

I'm specifically looking for a high top or pop top that I can stand in (im 6'1"). My Chevy G20 already has a 14" TV-top but it's only about 5'6" inside.
The high roof transit that I'm looking at has 6'7" interior height which is great, but the vehicle is 9'2" exterior which is making me question it for shipping purposes. I see posts from people driving 10'+ high vehicles too though so it's obviously possible.

The main reason I'm looking at the transit is because of the amount of additional space compared to other vans. I figure the more comfortable I am in the van, the more often I'll sleep, cook and live in the van instead of getting hostels or eating out.

Damn this is a hard decision.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
All I would like to say, after going through this thought process for a couple of years myself, is that every vehicle is a compromise. Just pick the best compromise that works for you. Not sure how helpful that might be but figuring out helps to realize that the quest for the "perfect vehicle" is impossible.

Also, the only non-negotiable thing for us was to be able to stand in the vehicle.

B-Excurgin

I have an 06 E350 4x4 diesel 63k miles hightop here in state college I might be selling for close to your budget. but I'm 6'1" and cant fully stand up in it.

jhl99

Not sure how suited it would be for a trip through Latin and South America, but with some looking, you can probably find a high roof, late model Ram Promaster for 20K.... Low roofs are easily had at that price.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The risks of shipping RORO can be mitigated by securing your valuables in the van, or by keeping them with you when shipping.

You want a van that is comfortable to live in. That means enough room, good seating etc. The transit and modern high roof vans have consistent wall width, so they are more comfortable compared to a low roof van with fiberglass high roof.

I would not worry about 4x4. Focus on ground clearance, approach and departure angles, and suspension articulation. If possible a locking or limited slip rear differential is a worth investment. Most newer vehicles have some form of electronic/ABS limited slip or traction control on the drive axle. A good set of tires that can be aired down, traction pads/mats/maxtrax combined with an air compressor, and a recovery strap will get you to some crazy spots. Most backroads that are not true 4x4 technical tracks really need articulation, ground clearance, and good approach/departure angles. 4x4 is not a requirement for these. When it comes to deep sand/mud etc, then you need all 4 wheels working. Compacted sand, like some beaches etc is usually okay for 2wd.

Adding a mild lift, good, correctly sized tires, and some modest suspension upgrades will get you pretty far. In my experience, you don't need 4x4 to get to lots of great spots in central america and mexico.

I would personally opt for a gasoline transit, and put a Vancompass lift on it. Add a fox shock rear upgrade. Do a bit of trimming on the arches, and put larger tires. Something in the 245-265 range, 70-85 aspect ratio. Get traction pads, an air compressor, air down tools, and a good recovery strap (and recovery points, see VCs catalog).

A second fuel tank may be desirable, or some exterior storage for another 200 miles worth of fuel. Add a second in-line fuel filter after the tank if possible.

Build out the interior with a permanently deployed bed. Get at least a 20 gallon water tank with interior fill. An in-line filter for your fill hose is good. Install a small sink. Rig up a method of hot water. Flat plate heat exchanger, isotemp coolant heated water tank, propane water heater etc. Rig up a shower. Either external out the back doors, internal with a pan and drain hose, and temporary curtain, etc. Grey tank not really needed, but could be helpful in cities.

Install a composting or cassette toilet. For a composting unit, having a small grey tank that can accept the urine from the composting toilet would be great. I would strongly suggest a cabin heater, choose your posion. LPG fired, diesel (D2, webasto) units can have an external tank run on kerosene or diesel, gasoline versions can be found. I would ensure your plumbing wont freeze in a overnight cold snap, which can happen in the mountains. A trip like this is likely to encounter cold weather at some point.

Your goal is so save time and money by not needing to find accommodation every time you need to poop, take a shower, or its cold, etc. it does not need to be pretty, but it needs to be easy to use.

jkam

nomadic man
Back in 2001 when I rode down on a motorcycle through central and south America, there were a lot of Ford E 350 extended vans, many used as tourist transportation.
Some were 4x4 and some were just 2wd, all had the 7.3 power stroke engine. I think that Ford would have good service facilities and parts availability with so many in service there.
As to high roof. If you have to have it, be prepared to pay the cost of transporting it around.

My wife and I are going on a trip from Pittsburgh to Ushuia beginning in October of 2018 and cannot make a decision on a vehicle. We have about $20000 to work with for a vehicle and I'm hoping I can get some input so we can finally begin our buildout into a custom camper (bed, solar, water, stove, heat fridge, etc all of which is separate from the $20000 for the vehicle)

We plan to take a minimum of 2 years to complete the trip.

Option 1: 1991 Chevy G20
Thete is a 1991 Chevy G20 that we could buy from a family member for about $1500. It has 125,000 miles with a new crate engine at 90,000 among other documented repairs over the years. It has a Tv top but I would really prefer to be able to stand if possible (I'm 6'1") so we thought about replacing the roof among the other numerous repairs necessary for a 1991 van. I will gut this van once I get it to rebuild into our custom camper. This obviously allows us a lot of savings on vehicle cost.

Option 2: 2015 Ford Transit 250 HR
We have been looking at 2015 Ford Transit 250 High Roof vans with the 3.5L v6 turbo. The high roof is 9'1 so i know that limits us but it gives me tons of room inside. Is it realistic to bring a newer Ford Transit through the Pan Am? This is currently our #1 dream due to size and comfort.

Option 3: Ford E350
Does anyone think i could find a GOOD condition E350 4x4 with a high roof or pop top for $20000? Or a van that I could upgrade with those things for around the same price?

Option 4: Other?
What else would anyone recommend? I can offer additional information on my wants/needs. I am ideally looking for van recommendations that I can purchase easily in the USA.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Jason

Option 1: No
Option 2: Yes, but I haven't seen any for $20k around Denver though
Option 3: Yes on a V10 or 7.3 4x4 with a high top but at $20k, it'll probably have miles or issues
Option 4: Find a good platform and build it yourself. Doing a 4x4 conversion and high top on your own will save you a ton of cash and the work will be every bit as good as any shop
v1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears