Panoramic Shots

markrez

Observer
Milky way

REZ_1931.jpg
Here's the same place (Louie Lake) at night. To say it was breathtaking is an understatement. Our camp is on the right side of the photo.
This is a 7 image pano taken in portrait mode (I used my Tokina 11-16, but since I knew I was going to stitch it I should have used my 35mm f1.8 instead.) I used puppet warp in Photoshop CC to get it to look somewhat presentable.

Here's the image before puppet warp. Does anyone know of a better way to straighten an image like this out?
REZ_1931-Edit2.jpg

Last edited:

crawldit

Adventurer
That's a great shot! I've been trying to get night panos with the milky way, but none are remotely close to being as good as yours. I have tried with a 35mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8. What body are you using?

I use autopano for all of my panoramic shots. It collects tie points between the images, seams them together, color balances them and straightens them out. Not exactly cheap, but I love it. I've done panos with over 20 images before and it doesn't even hiccup.

markrez

Observer
What body are you using?
I have the D7000. For those I was at 3200 ISO, 30 seconds at F2.8

I use autopano for all of my panoramic shots.
Have you ever used Photoshop to create your panos? I used to use Microsoft ICE but just recently subscribed to Adobe Photoshop CC so I have been using it as of late. It seems to do a really good job except for the distortion part.

Last edited:

smslavin

Adventurer
I put this in the wrong thread last night so I'm reposting it over here. I'd been playing around with panos in the backyard but this is my first one out in the open.

Slavin_130726_Pano2.jpg

I've got a few more spots in my head where I'd like to do some more.

crawldit

Adventurer
I have the D7000. For those I was at 3200 ISO, 30 seconds at F2.8

Have you ever used Photoshop to create your panos? I used to use Microsoft ICE but just recently subscribed to Adobe Photoshop CC so I have been using it as of late. It seems to do a really good job except for the distortion part.

Thank you for the info. Sorry for the late response but I just saw this (been having internet issues). I have a copy of CS6, but can't say that I have used it for seaming pano's together. Autopano does such a good job that I haven't felt the need to try something different. I am a Geomatics Professional and have been processing mosaics of Aerial and Satellite imagery for over 14 years. I like Autopano because in a way, it mimics the $50k+ software that I use Professionally to generate large seamless mosaics. The way that it finds tie points between images, feather blends the seams between images, and how it creates an error report for the tie points is familiar to me.

Here are samples of two of my panos. Not quite traditional, but the Stanley Hotel was 20 different images shot horizontally. I was shooting my 50mm 1.8g. There's distortion, but I was standing ridiculously close for the focal length I was shooting. The Longs Peak is 7 different images shot vertically. Again with my 50mm 1.8g

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
No panos for a while, so here's a few. Note that I use the term "panorama" to mean any photo stitched from several images, regardless of the aspect ratio. (FOV = Field of view)

10292.jpg

Tourist in Echidna Gorge, Purnululu (Bungle Bungle) NP, WA
FOV 150, 4x3

10389.jpg

Main cascade of the waterfall, King Edwards River, Kimberley, WA
FOV 140, 6x1

10401.jpg

Pandanus at the base of the falls, Little Mertens Falls, Mitchell Plateau, WA
FOV 194, 5x1

10411.jpg

Rock formations near waterfall, King Edwards River, Kimberley, WA
FOV 180, 5x1

10476.jpg

Mangroves, Walsh Point, Port Warrender, Kimberley, WA
FOV 190, 4x1

10482.jpg

Rocks and fig tree on banks of the pool, Adcock Gorge, Kimberley, WA
FOV 177, 4x1

21110.jpg

Kata Tjuta at sunset, Uluru-Kata Tjuta NP, NT

21134.jpg

Interesting clouds, West MacDonnell Ranges, NT
180 FOV, 5x1

32592.jpg

The Natural Arch, Monolith Valley, Budawang Range, Morton NP, NSW
FOV 193, 5x1

32600.jpg

Track into the Green Room, Monolith Valley, Budawang Range, Morton NP, NSW
FOV 186, 7x1

33035.jpg

Dawn in the valley, Kosciuszko NP, NSW

33519.jpg

Bedroom of Wothahellizat Mk2.
FOV 180

I often get in real close to part of the scene, with a couple these (the bedroom, mangroves and the ferns) the camera is just a few inches from part of the subject. In this case I adjust the focus for each of the component exposures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1