IMGP6296.jpg

Last edited:

Pappy

Page 2.

Fall color. Dempster Hwy.
IMGP6518.jpg

More fall color. Dempster Hwy.
IMGP6535.jpg

Camp at Tombstone Mountain Terr. Park campground.
IMGP6576.jpg

Along the Dempster Hwy.
IMGP6578.jpg

Foggy valley. Dempster Hwy.
IMGP6581.jpg

Posing at the Arctic Circle sign. Dempster Hwy.
IMGP6601.jpg

River side camp. Dempster Hwy.
IMGP6639.jpg

Another foggy valley. Dempster Hwy.
IMGP6669.jpg

Pappy

Page 4.

Hyder was closed. You cross in, you can't get out.
IMGP6586.jpg

Camp off Top of the World Hwy.
IMGP6558.jpg

At the "car wash" in Eagle Plains. Ten Loonies to power wash the mud off.
IMGP6608.jpg

IMGP6674.jpg

Looking at the closed Canada-Alaska border on the Top of the World Hwy.
IMGP6531.jpg

Etoimos

Observer
Wonderful photos you have posted. Are this current images, as in taken within the past few days/weeks? Just trying to get an idea of when fall colors are up there. I researching the Canol Rd for my trip up there next year. Did you do both the south and north sections of the road? If you could only do one section, which would you do?

Pappy

Wonderful photos you have posted. Are this current images, as in taken within the past few days/weeks? Just trying to get an idea of when fall colors are up there. I researching the Canol Rd for my trip up there next year. Did you do both the south and north sections of the road? If you could only do one section, which would you do?
I was on the Canol Rd from Sept 5-8th. I did it from Johnson's Crossing to MacMillian Pass and back to Ross River. I would absolutely do the south Canol. The north Canol is not as remote as the overlanding chamber of commerce promotes. Yes, it's a long way up, and back, but ... lots of traffic from both workers and natives. I would still check the north Canol off the bucket list. But, I've done it, and probably would not do it again.

DVD

Adventurer
Great photos and thanks for sharing. The photo of Hyder reminded me of a friend who does "Iron Butt" motorcycling, and that was one of his destinations.

Etoimos

Observer
I was on the Canol Rd from Sept 5-8th. I did it from Johnson's Crossing to MacMillian Pass and back to Ross River. I would absolutely do the south Canol. The north Canol is not as remote as the overlanding chamber of commerce promotes. Yes, it's a long way up, and back, but ... lots of traffic from both workers and natives. I would still check the north Canol off the bucket list. But, I've done it, and probably would not do it again.

Thanks for the additional info. I was thinking about taking Hwy 4 (Robert Campbell Highway) from Watson Lake to Ross River. Then running the north Canol Rd and back down to take Hwy 4 west to Carmacks. Now I'm wondering if I should just run the Alaska Highway from Watson Lake to Johnson's Crossing and then up the south Canol Rd and out Hwy 4 to Carmacks instead. It is less dirt that way, but it sounds like the north Canol Rd might not be worth the near extra day and extra tank of gas it will cost us (we have 30 days to go from Colorado to Tuk and back using as much dirt as possible).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78