Parasitic drain on 2003 Taco?

DaveM

Explorer
Battery on my 2003 Taco recently died so I replaced it with a new Sears AGM battery. When I check the old battery I noticed heavy corrosion on the negative terminal. I cleaned it off, put in new batt and then only two weeks later I see its’ again heavily corroded. Does this signify a parasitic drain or some other bad wiring in my system?

I did a check today with a multi meter, here are my results:

Battery hooked up, truck off: 12.77v
Batt unhooked: 12.79v
Batt neg hookedup, pos unhooked with multi meter connected between pos post and pos cable: .05 amps
Batt hooked up truck running: 14.12v

I have an aux fuse system installed but I don’t see any change when I disconnect the main fuse.

What do you think?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
.05 amps is extremely realistic as a normal drain, your dash clock, ECU, radio and possibly others will pull a small amount load. I can't picture the corrosion having anything to do with the drain, that is usually a sign of a venting battery and seems to be worse off on Toyotas do to their use of standard steel clamps versus lead based clamps.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Yes the corrosion is due to the battery venting.

I used to fix this on Land Rovers by cleaning the whole area (baking soda dissolved in water works great), and after the corrosion is gone spraying Waxoyl 120-4 on the terminals, being sure that everything is coated.

Here is a description of Waxoyl 120-4: http://www.roversnorth.com/waxoyl/waxoyl-corrosion-prevention.html

The stuff is great, I usually have a few cans on hand for random corrosion prevention tasks.

DaveM

Explorer
Yes the corrosion is due to the battery venting.

Do Optima AGM type batteries vent? I thought they were sealed?

Anyway, as long as .05 amps doesn't seem like too much drain then it must have been a coincidence. It looks strange because its only on the neg terminal and it comes back fast.

SEREvince

Adventurer
You're not alone. Not that that's any help :)

I have the fast growing variety of corrosion as well. My ground terminal is generally much worse.

I plan on switching my terminals to something like this this.

obscurotron

Adventurer
Which Sears AGM battery did you buy? They told me there was no application for a 2003/2004 Tacoma.

Battery on my 2003 Taco recently died so I replaced it with a new Sears AGM battery. When I check the old battery I noticed heavy corrosion on the negative terminal. I cleaned it off, put in new batt and then only two weeks later I see its’ again heavily corroded. Does this signify a parasitic drain or some other bad wiring in my system?

I did a check today with a multi meter, here are my results:

Battery hooked up, truck off: 12.77v
Batt unhooked: 12.79v
Batt neg hookedup, pos unhooked with multi meter connected between pos post and pos cable: .05 amps
Batt hooked up truck running: 14.12v

I have an aux fuse system installed but I don’t see any change when I disconnect the main fuse.

What do you think?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
FWIW, I had minor corrosion with the stock Toyota battery bust since I cleaned it up and installed the Odessey AGM battery I have not seen any new corrosion form in the last year.

DaveM

Explorer
Which Sears AGM battery did you buy? They told me there was no application for a 2003/2004 Tacoma.

Die Hard Platinum. None of them are a stock fit but the P-5 (group35) is very close and is the only one with the terminals in the correct arrangement.

obscurotron

Adventurer
What mods (if any) did you make to the battery tie-down (or anything else) to make it fit snug and secure?

Die Hard Platinum. None of them are a stock fit but the P-5 (group35) is very close and is the only one with the terminals in the correct arrangement.

DaveM

Explorer
What mods (if any) did you make to the battery tie-down (or anything else) to make it fit snug and secure?

None yet. I was going to look into aftermarket straps, or just cut some aluminum angle bar and slip it under one side of the bracket to fill the gap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan