Paria Closure Protest Ride 5/9/09

U4WDA

Paria Closure Protest Ride - 5/9/09 @ 9am

The BLM is beginning the closure of the roads on the
Grand Escalante Monument.
The plan is to meet at the old Stampin' Up
building by Johnson Canyon
at 9:00 am and drive out from there. You can also
meet at the turn off on Hwy 89 to the town site.
Bring your 4x4, Jeeps, 4 wheelers, and Rhinos ready to ride
the Paria Canyon Road.

The BLM intends to enforce the closure of the Paria River Road
(one of the oldest public highways in Kane County)
few days. The road is being closed due to environmental
organizations filing a petition to close the road because it is
closed in the monument plan. Please make an effort to be included
in the Paria Closure Protest Ride as we are stronger in unison.

Please bring lots of signs, water, lunch, and video cameras.

A petition is also being circulated. For more info regarding the
petition or the ride please contact Shawna Cox, (435) 899-0300

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
This will really be a sad loss for the overland explordition community, this route is a killer way to connect the Escalante/Kodachrome area with Page/Kanab routes and has a ton of history behind it.

I'm trying to get something going in regards to a email based petition or more preferably a letter writing campaign going to help sway this decision.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

This will really be a sad loss for the overland explordition community, this route is a killer way to connect the Escalante/Kodachrome area with Page/Kanab routes and has a ton of history behind it.

I'm trying to get something going in regards to a email based petition or more preferably a letter writing campaign going to help sway this decision.

"explordition community".........!!!!!!!!!!

I can hardly wait for the results!

GOD Help Us.....!

Last edited by a moderator:

sinuhexavier

Explorer

Which seems to make more sense than a protest ride... Somehow I don't think inundating the Paria with "4x4, Jeeps, 4 wheelers, and Rhinos" would help keep it open.

It would be a shame if it closed.

cruiseroutfit

Which seems to make more sense than a protest ride... Somehow I don't think inundating the Paria with "4x4, Jeeps, 4 wheelers, and Rhinos" would help keep it open.

It would be a shame if it closed.

My thoughts exactly. I'm working something up with Shawna and some other players. I'll keep you posted!

cruiseroutfit

The SL Tribune called me today asking if they could use some of my photos of the area. I told them I had to speak with my legal department and I'd get back to them :D Sadly I've seen way too many pictures used out of context by the SL Trib and there is not a chance I want that done with mine. I'm waiting to hear back from my legal team.

cruiseroutfit

How Can You Help TODAY?

Put your name on the petition. It doesn't end with the petition, rather it starts. But we need YOU to start today by adding your name to the petition. This can be done one of two ways. To add your name to the online petition, please click here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/paria/petition.html

Or, if you would rather print a petition, get as many supporters as you can to sign it and mail it in. Visit this site and print the existing petition:
http://www.atvutah.com/cgi-bin/yabb2...num=1241392927

For those that want to mail your petitions, please mail them to:
Shawna Cox
1969 South Highway 89A
Kanab, UT 84741

Tom B

Observer

Is the Escalante road closure(s) the enforcement of the Paria River WSA http://www.sltrib.com/News/ci_12312057? or a set of new closures based on an RMP? Is Cottonwood Canyon closing or the Paria River trail through the ghost town and to the river being closed?

cruiseroutfit

Is the Escalante road closure(s) the enforcement of the Paria River WSA http://www.sltrib.com/News/ci_12312057? or a set of new closures based on an RMP? Is Cottonwood Canyon closing or the Paria River trail through the ghost town and to the river being closed?

The route affected is the old road connecting Paria (town) on the south and Skutumpah Road at the north, following the Paria River. The road has been in use for decades and is considered one of the oldest routes in the county. The monument did not include the route in their motorized inventory, much like countless other routes left off their inventory. Now rather than face lawsuit from enviro groups that are befing forced to enforce the closure. Groups have been trying to get it added to the official inventory for years, this just speeds up the need.

This is happening all over Southern Utah. County's claim the road as theirs, the feds call them their own. Not an issue until the roads are closed before the courts have the time to settle the matter. HITR, Rincon, Canan Mountain, Paria, trails all over the Price area just to name a few of the likely 100+ roads stuck in a county versus federal government tug of war.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998