Park closure in AZ

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Why close them. Why not a temporary closure. What's going to happen to them then.

Doesn't make since too close something that brings in money even if it is a little bit.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Oh, don't get me started:

A concrete cot, a stainless toilet and sink, and a Bible is all you should get while in prison. (one overhead light bulb).

No, they have to have a work out room, cable tv, smokes, playboy, ... you name it.
Most of those guys life nicer than those of us imprisoned by the economy!!

I get what you are saying.
Cut the other budgets, but leave our State Parks alone!

D

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
13 State Parks to close in 2010

I know some of you are reading impaired (read lazy), I summarized my findings after reading various articles.

New Closings:
  1. Picacho Peak
  2. Tombstone Courthouse
  3. Yuma Prison
  4. Red Rock
  5. Fort Verde
  6. Tonto Natural Bridge
  7. Lost Dutchman
  8. Homolovi Ruins
  9. Lyman Lake
  10. Riordan Mansion
  11. Roper Lake
  12. Tubac Presidio
  13. Alamo Lake

Another thread here and article

Stay open but passively managed:
  1. Boyce Thompson Arboretum
  2. Sonoita Creek
  3. Verde River Greenway
  4. Yuma Quartermaster Depot

Already closed:
  1. Jerome State Historic Park
  2. McFarland
  3. Oracle
  4. San Rafael

Still open:
  1. Buckskin Mountain
  2. Catalina
  3. Cattail Cove
  4. Dead Horse
  5. Fool Hollow L
  6. Kartchner Caverns
  7. Lake Havasu
  8. Patagonia Lake
  9. Slide Rock

Last edited:

efuentes

Explorer
What do you mean closed, as in nobody cant go in anymore?, what happens to the infrastructure in place? doesn't make more sense to give it to a conservancy group for upkeep or something like that?

Saludos

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
What do you mean closed, as in nobody cant go in anymore?, what happens to the infrastructure in place? doesn't make more sense to give it to a conservancy group for upkeep or something like that?

Saludos

They will likely be closed off (locked gates), the buildings will receive minimum maintenance to keep them viable for future use, and when future revenue allows, they will probably be re-opened.

Explorer
They will likely be closed off (locked gates), the buildings will receive minimum maintenance to keep them viable for future use, and when future revenue allows, they will probably be re-opened.

How much revenue is needed to keep the parks open?

Montana state has some 50 parks open and spends about half the budget.

Arizona could easily man and maintain all those parks, this is criminal negligence.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
How much revenue is needed to keep the parks open?

Montana state has some 50 parks open and spends about half the budget.

Arizona could easily man and maintain all those parks, this is criminal negligence.

I don't know. I don't know what the budget numbers are. I don't know what the insurance requirements are. I don't know any of the details -- and I'd bet that none of the other 10,000+ members of this site do either.

What I do know is that if there is an open parking lot without any sort of 'supervision' (like state park employees), it costs more to clean up the trash, repair the vandalized buildings, and pay for the lawsuits resulting from a small number of ************** that screw it up for everyone, than it does to simply lock the gate and keep everyone out.

One other thing I know -- you can be damn sure that before the next election, I'll be looking for the ************** politicians who supported this, because they won't be getting my vote.

There *is* a way, they just have to find it and act on it.

Explorer
7.5 million actually goes a long way...

7.5 million /22 parks = $340,000/park

You could hire a couple full time employees per park with money to spare.

This is going to cost more than it saves when you factor the loss of tourism expenditures.

I can't imagine this is what the Arizona public wants, I think somebody is falling asleep at the wheel.

AZ-Ted

Adventurer
The parks department will lose 92 people (FTEs went from 238 in 2009 to 146 in the 2011 Budget). This is a reduction in staff of over 40%!!!

From the AZ State Parks website: "(Phoenix, AZ - January 15, 2010) - The Arizona State Parks Board today voted to keep nine parks open and close the remaining thirteen State Parks in a phased series of closures starting February 22, 2010 due to six different State Parks funds being swept of $8.6 million. In addition, four parks remain closed due to previous budget reductions."

EDIT: This is very unfortunate, but raiding the AZ State Parks funds have been going on for many years. In fact, in December 2009, the state government tried to sweep the money generated from the Off Highway Vehicle fund (OHV permit revenue) even though it is protected. This money is specifically earmarked for trail construction, trail maintenance, etc.

Closing the parks will hurt the economies of the communities nearby, as less people will travel to these remote outposts. This will mean less tax revenue and then further cuts in the state budget. It is a downward spiral.

As a result of the budget cuts, the fees at the parks that remain open will increase: http://azstateparks.com/find/fees_2010.html

EDIT2: Raising the fees at the remaining parks will not work, as more people will decide to stay home. We saw this with the exorbitant fees the state tried to impose a few years ago for the State Trust Land permits.

Last edited:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Can anyone comment how public land purchased by tax payers can be closed to said owners? I understand services not provided, but not even access to the public land?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online