Partner stove ?

mrbishi

Adventurer
Nice looking stove but I'm surprised you guys go gas?

All the serious Expedition rigs here carry around dual fuel stoves like the Coleman 2 and 3 burners and run them on shellite or unleaded. Carrying gas around is a bit of a pain and not readily available once you get off the beaten track.

I recently made the swap to a Coleman Sportster II Dual Fuel stove (bit of a review) and I must say I'm really liking and it am going to invest in a two burner.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Propane is easy to find in most locales here in the USA. It's easier & cleaner to deal with than gasoline.

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
Friend of mine has a Partner stove that is probably at least 15 yrs old. I don't like it. It doesn't simmer worth a damn. My friend is not a cook so I don't think he realizes how important to good cooking is the ability to simmer. It also has a little flat bar that has to be bolted in every time to hold the top up. Of course it still is holding up really well after a zillion raft trips. I wish it would wear out so he wouldn't keep volunteering to bring a stove on the trip.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
mrbishi said:
Nice looking stove but I'm surprised you guys go gas?

All the serious Expedition rigs here carry around dual fuel stoves like the Coleman 2 and 3 burners and run them on shellite or unleaded. Carrying gas around is a bit of a pain and not readily available once you get off the beaten track.

I recently made the swap to a Coleman Sportster II Dual Fuel stove (bit of a review) and I must say I'm really liking and it am going to invest in a two burner.

I have a partner steel 3 burner with windscreen. Before that I used a campchef all terrain. Both of them are propane and have never posed a problem, the only reason I switched stoves was for packing space. However because of proven reliability and for redundancy I cary a MSR dragonfly with white fuel. The fuel lasts a super long time and it's very very reliable. This is my backup, the weight is minimal and it takes up little room.

HDM

Observer
kerry said:
Friend of mine has a Partner stove that is probably at least 15 yrs old. I don't like it. It doesn't simmer worth a damn. My friend is not a cook so I don't think he realizes how important to good cooking is the ability to simmer.

>> Has anyone else found this to be the case with Partner's current production units?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm no chef, but my wife and I have noticed that the Partner Steel stove does seem to be very 'hot'. Low/simmer may not be low enough for some cooking.

HDM said:
>> Has anyone else found this to be the case with Partner's current production units?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Redline said:
I'm no chef, but my wife and I have noticed that the Partner Steel stove does seem to be very 'hot'. Low/simmer may not be low enough for some cooking.

I think the issue could be solves by using a lower pressure regulator.

Most people have the problem that most stoves don't heat food up quick enough, or the flame is weak at elevation. The pressure regulator that Partner Steel uses is set a higher rate than normal to overcome these issues.

An other solution would be to use a spacer to lift the pot higher over the flame thus reducing the heat.

HDM

Observer
Martyn said:

Most people have the problem that most stoves don't heat food up quick enough, or the flame is weak at elevation. The pressure regulator that Partner Steel uses is set a higher rate than normal to overcome these issues.

An other solution would be to use a spacer to lift the pot higher over the flame thus reducing the heat.

Thanks, guys, I kinda figured that would be the case. I wouldn't monkey with the pressure regulator as it's much easier to reduce heat than to increase it. And, you're on the right track with the spacer idea. FWIW, most commercial kitchens have the same issue and the preferred solution is to use a heat diffuser NOT a new stove. Of course, these add a bit of weight to the overland kitchen kit, but they work very well and can do double-duty at home, too. I've used a few different difuser styles over the years, but they all seem to work about the same to me. A griddle can serve the same function in a pinch - although most will tie up both burners. Anyway, here's an example of what I'm talking about with a few other examples at the bottom of the page:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007T25ZC?smid=AH41BC3G7NDFM&tag=dealtime-kitchen-20&linkCode=asn

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Martyn said:

Martyn,

It's possible that this won't work. On a recent trip, the regulator that came with my stove started leaking. So, not knowing it was a high pressure regulator and due to the fact that I needed something while on the road, I went to Home Depot and bought a standard low-pressure regulator that they sell for propane grills. I also had to to get an adapter to fit the Partner Steel hose to the new regulator. All connections were solid and I couldn't hear or smell any leaks. But, when we went to use the stove, almost no gas came out.

After the trip, I spoke with Bill at Partner Steel and he said that didn't surprise him due to the design of the burners and their requirement for the high pressure output.

I know this doesn't help solve the high heat issue, but I thought I'd share with the group due to my recent experience.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
tdesanto said:
Martyn,

It's possible that this won't work. On a recent trip, the regulator that came with my stove started leaking. So, not knowing it was a high pressure regulator and due to the fact that I needed something while on the road, I went to Home Depot and bought a standard low-pressure regulator that they sell for propane grills. I also had to to get an adapter to fit the Partner Steel hose to the new regulator. All connections were solid and I couldn't hear or smell any leaks. But, when we went to use the stove, almost no gas came out.

After the trip, I spoke with Bill at Partner Steel and he said that didn't surprise him due to the design of the burners and their requirement for the high pressure output.

I know this doesn't help solve the high heat issue, but I thought I'd share with the group due to my recent experience.

Yes that would be an issue if the replacement regulator was set at too low a setting.

Maybe the answer is to use an adjustable pressure regulator. I see the Ferriers use them all the time for their ovens.

TheGillz

Explorer
Wind screen testing for the Horizon slide away version is in progress. Once we have a good workable solution we'll let you know.

Did you ever come up with a workable solution? I would like a Partner with a slide that I can mount in the side box on my trailer, and the wind screens....

smokymt

Observer
New Regulator/Hose?

Hey guys. On my last trip I noticed that the regulator was leaking on the Partner stove in my AT Horizon. Anyone know where to get a new regulator/hose? Or is there an adjustment to the regulator that I can make to stop the leak?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman