Parts availability in Central/South America for FJ, Tacoma, and 4Runner

trademarked

Hi, can anyone tell me what parts availability is like for these vehicles in Central and South America. I read briefly that those three vehicles may not have ever been sold there, and that it may be difficult to obtain parts.

Thanks!

Clymber

Adventurer
im no expert with this stuff but parts may be interchangeable with the hilux for the tacoma. the times i have spent working in Panama and vacation in Brazil I dont recall seeing 4runners or FJs

trademarked

im no expert with this stuff but parts may be interchangeable with the hilux for the tacoma. the times i have spent working in Panama and vacation in Brazil I dont recall seeing 4runners or FJs

I think some vehicles are, but many were never made down there and are not exactly ideal. I think a 4runner is probably my ideal vehicle, but I believe I read that they were never made down there and that many parts wouldn't be available.

cozydog

Observer
Tacomas are pretty common most places as they are often imported in used--everyone wants what they can't have. You can always eventually find someone, especially in a capital city, who can work on what you have or find a part it's just a matter of finding that one guy opposed to every street corner having a Mechanic or parts store specializing in hilluxs

Last edited:

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Anything can be had- sometimes it just takes a few days. The J120 and J150 Toyotas were available in central and south America with the 1GR engine, though I don't think as commonly as the diesels and 4cyl. Toyota dealers in the US can get non US market parts, I would think the same for dealers else where. Shouldn't be an issue.

trademarked

Thanks, if its only a few day wait that's no big deal. I just didn't want to get stuck in a situation where it takes weeks or a month to get a particular part.

trademarked

Also, I love the tacoma, but i don't want to sleep in a truck bed. An enclosed SUV is my home of choice :) A nice RV mattress on one side and all my gear on the other, with some screens over a few windows and some rain defectors over the windows and I'm a happy camper. But then again, I'm the kind of person that will stay in a hotel/hostel/guesthouse 5 nights of the week and only sleep in my vehicle if I can't find something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78