Parts....for your 1st Generation Toyota 4Runner

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Parts for your 1st Generation Toyota 4Runner

I'm starting to find that some parts are getting hard to find unless you can get a Govt. Bailout to be able to afford to buy it from the Toyota Dealer.

Post up your 1st Generation Toyota 4Runner parts needs and links to find.....here.

We can use this thread to help fellow members find good used parts/or good deals on new parts..... that you may find in your local area. Hopefully we can help each other find parts, save money and help keep our 1st Gen. Alive!

My current part need.

I'm looking for an "Igniter". The small metal electronic box that sits on top of the coil. This part is $545 at my local Toyota Dealer! Yikes!

For my 1988 Toyota 4Runner with the 3.0V6.

I found a junk yard south of San Diego that will sell me a used one for $50 bucks. But he checked and he is out of them. I spent two hours on the phone today, trying to find one with no luck.

A used Igniter for my truck can Only be for a 1988/89. Or, my Toyota dealer told me I can also use the MR2 Igniter for 1988/89. I'm going to check on a MR2 locally, in the morning.

Here is a pic of the part.

See metal box on top of coil and Green Plug. Would you want to spend $545 on that? For God's sake!

2009_12091stGenIgniter0004.jpg

And it's almost pitiful that a junk yard wants $50 bucks for this 20 year old electronic part that probably has 200K miles on it, when you can hardly get $25 bucks for a much newer used TV!....UG! Sorry! Just venting. Must have been the two hours on the phone today!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Thanks Rick,

You can see two labels in the pic.

One label are numbers for "coil/igniter".

The other label is for "Igniter Only". I can't read the last digit on the Igniter Only. It's messed up.

Here goes.

"Coil/Igniter"...... 19070-35190. ..... next just below 101311-5380 .

"Igniter Only" ..... 89620-12970 <~this number is very faded and hard to read. This may be wrong.

I would say all Igniters would have both Labels on them. So the top two sets of numbers should work (coil w/igniter.

881stGenRunner

hey SWR, mine went out too. Truck would not fire at all. I believe it was a code 14. My dad and i tried to use one from an MR2 and it turned out to be the incorrect one. You have to go with one from a 1988 3.0 ONLY. i dont even think you can use the one from 1989

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Great idea for a thread. I am planning a trip to the junkyard here soon, and will check on the parts for you! We have a place here locally called "Toyota Heaven."

Other advice is to send Roger Brown an email... he probably knows some good places to start.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Great idea for a thread. I am planning a trip to the junkyard here soon, and will check on the parts for you! We have a place here locally called "Toyota Heaven."

Other advice is to send Roger Brown an email... he probably knows some good places to start.

Thank You Mr. Leary!

We all know there are Thousands of junk yards all around this country. And I bet most of them do not have websites or communicate well on the net.

I could never find that perfect junk yard in Texas, or anywhere else on my own.

Thus....the purpose of this thread.

Thanks!

pray4surf

Explorer
IIR - there is a similar thread in the SoCal TTORA forum. Can't locate it right now - I'll see if I can dig it up tomorrow

Could TRDPart4U beat the local dealer's price?

S

Scenic WonderRunner

IIR - there is a similar thread in the SoCal TTORA forum. Can't locate it right now - I'll see if I can dig it up tomorrow

Could TRDPart4U beat the local dealer's price?

The part never showed up on my search at their website.

Last edited by a moderator:

pray4surf

Explorer
Don't bother with their website...

Give Barb or Gerone or Phil or Jacque a call today 866 233 4305 - Let them know that you are an ExPo member and ask for their best price...

Have your VIN handy

You may want to bite the bullet and get a new ignitor - You take your chances with a used one - just my $0.02...

Course (as with any electrical component) even TRDParts4U won't allow you to return it :(

You have the 3.0L motor or the 22R? - nevermind. I don't seem to retain a lot of what I read :D

Last edited:

TRDPARTS4U

Adventurer
The Igniter is $393.28 part number 89620-12270. Shipping is $10.49.
This part is readily available.

As Rick stated electrical parts are not returnable.

www.trdparts4u.com is our accessory site.
www.toyotapartsales.com is our replacement parts site.

If in the future you are having trouble finding something please email us at :

info@trdparts4u.com Gerone, Barb and I get these emails.

Or you can call our toll free number 866 233 4305 if no one answers please leave a message.

I hope this helps.

Jacque

java

Expedition Leader
ignitors are known to die every now and again on the older trucks. i kept a spare one in my 85.
but those dealer prices are insane! try a wanted ad if you dont need it fast, on pirate or yota tech or something

Asha'man

Observer
At the moment I'm looking for a rear wiper blade assembly for my '86. I've been looking since, oh, about 6pm yesterday, so the search hasn't borne any fruit yet, but I'm planning on calling the dealership this week. The problem lies in the fact that the wiper blade is permanently attached to the piece that attaches to the wiper arm, and no standard wiper refills will attach the same way. I'll update with what I find out.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Asha'man,

If your rear wiper blade assembly is like my 1988, and held on by two screws at the tip of the arm. I picked up one from the Toyota dealer in Nampa. ID. a couple years ago for just $12 bucks brand new. Ask your local dealer.

~~~~~~~~~

I'm currently trying this parts wanted ad on my local Craigslist. With pics.

With no luck.

The junk yards here price their Junk like Gold!

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/1507659562.html

Wanted: 1988 Toyota 4Runner Parts.

1. IGNITER.......this is the electronic box that sits on the ignition coil.

2. INCLINOMETER......The three gauge pod with altimeter and tilt o meter (in Gray, must match my dash)

3. Looking for Toyota truck take off wheels and tires in great condition ( 31"x10.50x15 )

4. TRD Electric Locking 3RD Member Complete with wire harness w/ 4:10 gears

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger