Patagonia or Bust! We're going for a drive. Follow along!

98roamer

Explorer
Welcome, as you know there's a wealth of information and contacts here. Can you tell us more about the camper/box?

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Looking forward to seeing more!

Just found your thread, but unfortunately your site isn't working right now. Hopefully we'll see you guys on the road :sombrero:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Awesome - we plan to be in South America early next year so hopefully we can all meet up somewhere!

Sorry for taking so long to reply to all of your posts. I've been a bit distracted the last few months... I'm making an effort to post all our blogs on the portal as well. We're currently in Belize after spending the better part of a month and a half in Mexico.

Puebla – Oaxaca – Puerto Escondido

We reluctantly left the comforts of San Miguel de Allende and headed down the trail to Puebla. Arriving that afternoon in Cholula, an offshoot of Puebla, we weaved our way to the campground, our stomachs begging to be fed, we quickly parked the truck and wondered down the street in search of a collectivo with “puebla” scribbled somewhere on the windshield. Success! Off to Puebla in search of the famed tacos al pastor! A short but bumpy ride took us and about 10 others to the centro in a small Toyota van. The driver weaved in and out of traffic – hoofed, wheeled and shoed, only inches from trading paint with passing and parked cars alike. We lurched to a halt, the door slid open to unload us into the hustle and bustle of the city, then rumbled off down the cobblestone road in search of new prey to consume and then regurgitate in another local. After a few wrong turns, u-turns and some backtracking, we made our way to the restaurant, our stomachs now crying out in long drawn out moans. “Cinco tacos al pastor, por favor!” Delicious.
tacos al pastor in Puebla

Puebla itself didn’t captivate us, so after a quick post-dinner tour of the market, church and zocalo we stumbled our way back as the sun was sinking behind the hills. We woke to the standard symphony that is a morning in Mexico – church bells ringing, roosters crowing, dogs barking and a truck grunting down the road shouting “soni gas!” or any other of what seems to be an infinite number of advertising messages broadcasted from these mobile noise/air pollution machines. “Lets head for Oaxaca!” On the way out of town Ken and I stopped off to get the oil changed in our trucks while the girls hung out in a coffee shop to research the next leg of the trip. Having left both of our translators behind, Ken and I played charades with the mechanic until he understood what we needed. Total price of labor: $4. Deal!
oil change. labor cost: $4

We planned to spend the night just outside Oaxaca in the Benito Juarez “national park.” Not having proper gps coordinates we followed our nose up and out of the city toward the general direction we believed the park to be. We drove through a small town and continued onward, the roads now turning to dirt we crossed a stream while patrons of a roadside taco stand shot stares that seemed to question our sanity. We climbed further up at a snails pace, the 4-wheel-drive proving itself with every rut in the road conquered. We soon found ourselves at a gate of what surely looked like the makeup of a national park entrance. We hopped out of the truck and a man came out of his guardhouse to greet us. We asked him if it would be possible to enter the park and camp for the night. He gave us a sideways look, said something about a permit, then went back inside and came out with a cell phone. He dialed, it rang, and we listened. During what seemed like a lengthy conversation for the situation, we overheard him say some like, “blah blah blah, cuatro gringos, blah blah blah.” We all laughed. This man obviously thought we had lost our marbles. He informed us that the mystery person on the other side of the phone call said we could not camp there. “Darn!” Not wanting to stay in the city, we decided to do a little pirate camping back down off the road we’d climbed earlier.
climbing upward to the “national park”

trying to figure out what to do after being denied entrance to the “national park”

As we headed back down, carefully maneuvering around obstacles in the road, feeling all manly and whatnot in our big 4×4 trucks, a three-wheeled tuctuc came flying around the corner, nearly becoming a hood ornament on Ken’s Ford Ranger. We burst out laughing. Some off-roaders we are… We spotted a small track heading off the road, up a notably steep hill and toward a patch of trees – a perfect spot to pirate camp. Ken was first to give the hill a go. All of 4 feet later he found himself in a precarious position, one wheel a good foot off the ground, another a good foot into a drainage gully he’d failed to notice. Gunning it, the engine roared and the two remaining useful wheels desperately grasp something to grip onto. A violent lurch and the truck frees itself from the trap! My turn. With the truck in 4-low and staying well clear of the pit to the right, we made it up with ease. We found a flat spot and called it good.
not a bad pirate camp spot

surveying the territory

flower

After kicking back in our chairs and watching the sun begin to fade away, we cooked up a delicious dinner. As we were sitting there enjoying our meal, the remaining sunlight becoming overpowered by the darkness of night, Kylee spotted a cowboy hat that by means of reason sat atop a cowboy’s head. Soon it vanished behind a hill and left us with a funny feeling lingering in our guts. We were being watched! It was like an old western movie, our fire too big, we were easily spotted, in this scenario, the lights from our truck playing the role of campfire. For a few minutes every rustling bush was a possible bandito making his way nearer to our camp. High alert. Snapping back into reality, we dismissed the encounter with the phantom gaucho and did the dishes. Reality sucks.
doing dishes, yay!

A short while later I noticed a pair of headlights bouncing up the road towards us. I walked over to Ken and Anaka’s truck and said, “we might have a situation on our hands.” As I feared the headlights came to a stop just below our camp, then turned off. Five smaller lights now bobbed up the steep trail, growing brighter with each passing second. Silence. Nobody spoke. I walked toward the five lights. “hola, buenos noches!” I called out to the silent figures making their way toward camp. “hola” I heard in return. Kylee, Ken and Anaka joined me as the lights now illuminated the faces of the middle age men who wore them and the machetes hanging from their belts. The situation was uncomfortable. I played the dumb gringo card. In broken Spanish I informed them that we believed ourselves to be camping in the Benito Juarez national park. In rather good, and fast Spanish they informed us of what we already knew, that we were in fact not in the national park and that we were on land belonging to the small town of San Pedro we’d passed through earlier that afternoon. The latter part we were unaware of. The tense situation quickly unraveled into laughter when one poor gaucho chose to sit down on a small cactus. “Yeee!” he shouted, we all turned and saw what had happened and immediately we were united by the misfortunes of the gaucho now with a sore behind. “Espina!” somebody cried out and the laughter started all over again. We passed out beers to our new amigos, the universal sign of friendship, and we all sat around, careful to avoid any espina, and made small talk as best we could with our limited vocabulary. They informed us that they didn’t want us to leave any basura (garbage) behind and that it would be okay for us to camp there for the night. After the beers were finished, they got to their feet, wished us well and headed back down the hill. Huge smiles hung under our noses the rest of the night.
Goodnight

The following morning we packed up camp, leaving no garbage behind and made our way into the city of Oaxaca. We pulled up to the hostel Kylee and I had stayed at a year or so ago when we were in Oaxaca for Spring break. We were able to park on the street directly in front of the hostel door. Lucky. Inside we took a few moments to relax and take a shower. Ken went back out to his truck to grab their phone and a few other belongings, only to return a few short seconds later with a sullen look on his face. “Somebody broke into our truck,” he said. It took a second to process this bit of information because of how unlikely it was. It was mid-day, we were parked along a quiet but well used road with many pedestrians and the truck was only feet from were we sat in the courtyard. Turns out, after looking over surveillance footage the hostel had, the thief made several passes by the truck on foot then pulled up along side it in a car, jumped out and had the door lock picked in a matter of seconds. Once inside he didn’t waste any time, he grabbed what he could carry and ran back into the awaiting car. Total time it took him: maybe 10 seconds. Yikes. Ken and Anaka quickly ran through what the thief took as best they could remember: a bag of books, their medical kit, their phone and a few other knickknacks. Not too bad of a loss. It wasn’t until some time later that they realized the thief had also made out with their SLR camera! Darn thief! A cheap lesson just became an expensive one. They felt a little deflated but impressively kept their spirits high enough to explore Oaxaca later that day. From now on as a rule of thumb Kylee and I no longer keep anything in the front of the truck. It all goes in back where there is metal over the windows and difficult locks to pick. Unfortunately that also means it goes on our bed…oh well. At night we simply transport everything to the front and lock the doors, easy enough.
Caught in the act! kinda…

Ken and Anaka stayed in Oaxaca another night so they could fix their lock and install an alarm. Kylee and I left the following morning for the sun, sand and surf of Puerto Escondido. The drive is short in length but long in time. It took us nearly 6 hours to drive around 120 miles. Slow going on possibly the windiest road I’ve ever driven, but also perhaps the most beautiful as well. We twisted and turned our way high into the mountains where the cool air seemed easier to breath and pine trees reminded us of home. Each bend in the road revealed spectacular views down into the valleys below.
On the road to Puerto Escondido from Oaxaca

this picture doesn’t do the twists and turns justice

Soon our posteriors grew numb and our eyes strained against the constant barrage of alternating bright sun and dark shadows streaking across the road. Just as delirium was on the verge of setting in, the road straightened out and we sped quickly toward the coast, arriving in Puerto Angel with relief. From there it was a quick, and straight, 30 miles down the coast to Puerto Escondido. About 15 miles in, we came to a halt behind a long line or cars and trucks stopped dead in their tracks. Soon a few daring drivers pulled out and sped up the other lane toward to the front. Naturally we did the same. Upon arriving at the front of the line we were confronted with an army (of grandmas), holding fast to their line, armed to the teeth with signs a-many. We pulled over to the side of the road, grabbed our camera and went to investigate what this blockade was all about. Best we could make out, they were protesting the expansion of the road we were currently driving and that it would be three days until the road would be clear. “Whelp, that’s that, time to turn around.” Then we heard a report that the road would now be open at 7pm. Conflicted now, shoot. To stay or to go? But then somebody announced something and everybody gathered into a circle to listen to who we believe was the town mayor. Five minutes later everybody cheered and began to disperse. The two trucks that had been blocking the road rumbled off. We were free! “Quick, before they change their mind!” Easiest three days ever!
roadblock

the truck and the blockade

listening to the mayor

can you spot the gringo!?

everybody circling up to listen to the mayor

We arrived in Puerto Escondido, setup camp and lived the life of the standard gringo tourist for a few days, hanging out on the beach under an umbrella, snorkeling and doing all the other things gringos do. Relaxing. I won’t bore you with the details as my fingers are growing tired and your eyes surely are beginning to seek a new form of entertainment. I hope you enjoyed our latest tale. Thanks for listening. See you again soon.
our camping spot in Puerto Escondido

- Joe and Kylee

carsonvogt

Ah fantastic timing on my part, Patagonia is certainly my number 1 destination. Great write-up, will definitely have to check out your website as well!

Oceans, Deserts and Mountains, Oh My!

A few days rest in Puerto Escondido was just what we needed after bouncing from town to town in Mexico’s interior. We found Puerto to be a bit unfriendly to be honest but the little cove beaches to the north made up for the main beaches sour demeanor. Playa Manzanillo was our favorite of the two. Lounge chairs under the shade of palm trees were “free” with the purchase of some guacamole and a corona or two, a delicious investment for a full afternoon of sun, sand and snorkeling. We spent the better part of two days doing just that.
We left Puerto at the crack of dawn and settled in for the longest drive since our very first day in Baja. San Cristobal de las Casas was our destination, a small mountain town with a strong indigenous culture still present. The drive was perhaps one of my personal favorites. The landscape reminded us of a mixture between the deserts of eastern Oregon and the savannas of Africa. With nearly all of the drive complete we were still only at 200 feet above sea level, but from our research we knew that San Cristobal sat at around 7500 ft., something was amiss. But then we began to climb, and climb, and climb some more. Our two lane road now, despite not changing width became 3 and frequently 4 cars wide. The slow cars, us included, hung to the far edges of the pavement while the more powerful cars passed at speed on both sides of the road. I was reminded of the way a school of fish moves through the water, separate but in unison. Imagine you’re driving down a two lane highway in the U.S. and a car coming toward you is being passed by another, then a car behind you also pulls out to pass you. You’re now four cars wide, heading towards each other at a collective 120 mph. Panic would ensue. Not in Mexico, in Mexico this school of cars simply accommodates and reacts to the situation in unison. No cursing, middle finger waving or minor heart attacks involved, just another day on the road.

We arrived at our campsite in San Cristobal with an hour of daylight left. We parked under big pine trees and the air was crisp, even a bit cold. A fantastic little town, we spent our time there wondering the streets as we always do, looking for interesting sights and new experiences. We visited a small museum dedicated to the traditional indigenous medical practices were the life-size sculptures of people were alarmingly life-like in the dimly lit room. It took some convincing to go over and poke one to make sure they weren’t actually breathing. That night, we made delicious tacos using wood-fired chicken and a pineapple salsa we made ourselves. Yum!
In the medical museum

At a cafe in San Cristobal de las Casas
The next day we took a collectivo to an outlying indigenous town where there were said to be authentic, sewn/made in front of you, crafts. We were a bit disappointed when we got to the town and found 4 or 5 enormous tour busses had dumped their load of passengers into the small market. It made us question the effects of tourism on the indigenous population as well as our own contribution. The natives certainly make up the low end of the economic totem pole in San Cristobal. While eating lunch in the market back in San Cristobal I had a young girl, perhaps 5 or 6 years old, come sit next to me and gently tap on my knee. Not knowing how to respond to the situation I chose to ignore her as has become habit with most beggars at this point. Tap tap. Tap tap. Her tiny fingers, gently tapping soon became too painful to ignore any longer. I tried to speak to her in Spanish, asking what she wanted but she didn’t seem to understand. She probably spoke the native language. I broke and handed her a few pesos.
The market

cheap, delicious fruit
From San Cristobal de las Casas we headed to Palenque, about 120 miles away. A longtime resident of the campground told us that the road had a few topes (speed bumps) on it. We counted 257. Yikes. We also encountered another speed deterrent, this one in the form of children holding a rope across the road to make you stop, then aggressively asking for money. One girl even went as far as standing in front of the truck while we slowly moved forward in the most unfair game of tug-a-war ever. After shaking our head and revving the engine to scare off the mob of children, they made one more attempt, this time opening the door as we drove away. We passed through two or three more of these child road blocks, now with the doors locked, and every time our emotions were equally confused. Do we feel bad for them? Do we dislike them? Do we feel sad, angry, what?
We made one stop on the way to Palenque at the waterfalls of Agua Azul. Again, there were many tourists but the waterfalls themselves were still very enjoyable. We hiked towards the upper falls, hoping to get away from the crowd below and found a small pool in the river to swim in. Much better. When we were leaving, we spotted an awesome Toyota Land Cruiser pickup in the parking lot that certainly belonged to a fellow overlander.
Agua Azul from the top

Agua Azul from the bottom
We arrived at Mayabell campground, located just outside the Palenque park entrance road, and as we were setting up camp the very truck we’d been admiring at Agua Azul pulled in. Another fellow who we met in Sayulita was also camped out there. It seemed to be a overlander hangout. We spent that night sitting around listening to the roars of nearby howler monkeys and watching fire flies flicker about the lawn. The campground restaurant had really good live music every night despite not having more than 10 patrons at any one time.
Howler monkeys above our campsite
The next morning we headed to the Palenque ruins. Despite being passed by several large tour buses as we walked the 2km to the entrance, the park wasn’t terribly crowded. After walking around the main attractions for a while and meeting up with our friends Ken and Anaka, we spotted a trail leading off into the jungle that didn’t seem to be marked. Only a few feet down the trail we discovered that it lead to an undeveloped section of the ruins. Trees still stood on top of the ancient structure, moss covered the stone and we had it all to ourselves. We spotted a dark opening in the stone walls and one by one hunched over to fit into the small space as we carefully made our way into the Temple of Doom! Or so it felt. As I took the plunge into the unknown, a winged monster darted out of the entrance and towards my head. “Whoa!” I shouted and ducked out of the way. Now it really was an Indiana Jones adventure. Having passed through “the temple” in about 30 seconds…, we made our way back to the well-manicured lawn of the ruins on display and continued our self-guided tour. Surprisingly, we were able to find many more ruins empty of tourists. First ruins of the trip. Check.
Palenque ruins

Palenque zen

Palenque gym

sacrafice

Palenque yoga
We left Palenque the next morning and drove to Campeche. Campeche is not a destination city but it was a good stop for the night. There was a brass band in the zocalo that night and our hotel room looked directly down at our truck parked below. Can’t complain. We had a hell of a time finding a decent place to eat dinner, or any place for that matter. After wondering the streets for 45 minutes or so we settled on one of two restaurants we saw. I took a break from tacos and got a delicious American burger with bacon and ham. Yum.
The band
Next up, the Yucatan. Xpu-Ha, pronounced ‘shpoo-ha’ is located on the western shores of the Yucatan, 30 whole miles from Cancun, scary close to the masses of speedo and Hawaiian shirt clad gringos. It was instantly obvious the campers of Xpu-Ha were in fact part time residents. Very friendly elderly folk looking for a little company from the younger generation, we were quickly invited to weekly Friday pizza the following night. It was a great experience listening to people who had been traveling their entire lives. Before we could indulge in some good ole’ greasy American food though, it was time to cook Thanksgiving dinner! Before arriving in Xpu-Ha we had stocked up on chicken, gravy, instant mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, and lots of wine. This was by far the fastest Turkey day dinner preparation I have seen yet. No matter though, it was still one of the most delicious. This was all made possible due to the fact that I wrapped everything up in a tortilla! No meal is complete without one. Jumping back to our younger years, we decided it would be fun to make a sandcastle of our truck. Seeing that we are both 23 yrs old we got a number of awkward glances. I think everyone was secretly jealous.
Awesome sandcastle

what overlanders do at the beach…

on the yucatan
Our last stop in Mexico was Lake Bacalar, a beautiful fresh water lake 15 min from the Belize border. We were able to camp right on the water in a large grassy lawn. We had the place all to ourselves, paddleboarding, lounging, and swimming. That is until a church group started blasting US pop music all night. Nevertheless we made another amazing dinner with those darn people from 30forthirty who we can’t seem to get rid of. We continued our daily routine of swimming and sunning while Joe and Ken went in search of a Cenote (a limestone sinkhole). That night we played a game of soccer with two boys at the park. Afterwards they asked for our facebooks and instantly friended us! The caretaker, Gervasio, loves the English language and was very eager to practice with us. We had a great time going back and forth, both sides learning a bit more.
Joe palm tree climbing in Bacalar

Bacalar campsite

Bacalar sunset

Bacalar dock
We still cannot believe Mexico will be behind us tomorrow. It was more than we could have asked for, new friends, authentic dishes, indigenous cultures and lifelong memories. But we are also eagerly awaiting what exciting memories Central America has in store for us!

blog
facebook

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Awesome post! I agree about Puerto Escondido, although I liked it better the second time.

To add some more perspective about the children pulling a rope...they did the same thing to us in Ecuador and saved our life by doing that.
As we slow down to stop for the rope, a drunk driver came speeding through his red light at an intersection, and would have hit us for sure. Instead he hit the light pole then bounced back and hit a parked car on the other side of the road.

Since then, I am always fine with it...

:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998