PC and Mount Setups Pics

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
A dash mounted tablet doesn't impede the air bags or interfere with passenger seat.

This photo was taken leaning way over. When sitting upright in the driver seat, the tablet doesn't interfere with visibility at all (at least in a Land Rover Discovery II).

IMG_3365.jpg

I'm using bluetooth in my new setup so the only wire going to the device is the 12VDC power cord.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
This is a great thread, I am trying to decide if I want a smaller net book, or a tablet PC. I currently do not have a laptop just use my desk top at home, so a net book might be the way to go. Seems a tablet might get annoying to use around the house.

For net books what you all recommend as the minimum requirements?

Thanks

I have a Lenovo S10-3t. Works great for basic stuff, and fantastic for an 'all-in-one' car/house setup. I use a bluetooth GPS puck and power the laptop with a Targus adapter.

If you already have a desktop, a netbook/tablet is a great choice - You can do all the heavy lifting on the desktop and then use the netbook for moving around and simple stuff.

Here's what I mean:

I do all my mapping setups, routefinding, GIS, etc. on the desktop, with a nice big screen. I have a shared drive that the netbook accesses.

When I want to go somewhere, I just clone the drive (I use SyncToy) on the netbook, and then all my mapping files are ready to go. Basically I use my netbook for navigation instead of any setup. I've found that the small 10" screen is a pain for a lot of stuff like mapping.

I use the netbook everywhere I go (except the gym), it's small, reasonable lightweight, great for simple web browsing, etc. I can get 8-9hrs on the battery stretching it, or even 5-6 at full power, watching video, etc. On my Lenovo, I can't watch HD video, it just doesn't have the horsepower. There is a definite tradeoff in speed/power using a netbook.

If you want a little bit of an upgrade, look at the HP tm2t. Smaller (12") tablet, but can have i5 processor and dedicated graphics. I'm seriously considering getting this early next year as the 10" screen and lack of HD video on my netbook is starting to wear on me.

Having used this for a year as a tablet, I would not recommend getting a dedicated tablet (with no keyboard) unless all you do is browse the internet. I can't speak for the on-screen android keyboard, but I know the windows 7 keyboard is barely ok, and I'd never use it as a regular keyboard.

southpier

Expedition Leader
my assumption, either tablet or keyboard will be dislodged from its perch and sandwiched between the airbag and some part of either the driver or passenger's head.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
If you go with a tablet, you can still attach an external keyboard via USB or Bluetooth. There are many foldable or rollable options available in addition to regular keyboard options. I use one made by Targus, if/when I need to check email at a rest stop.

I have a Lenovo S10-3t. Works great for basic stuff, and fantastic for an 'all-in-one' car/house setup. I use a bluetooth GPS puck and power the laptop with a Targus adapter.

If you already have a desktop, a netbook/tablet is a great choice - You can do all the heavy lifting on the desktop and then use the netbook for moving around and simple stuff.

Here's what I mean:

I do all my mapping setups, routefinding, GIS, etc. on the desktop, with a nice big screen. I have a shared drive that the netbook accesses.

When I want to go somewhere, I just clone the drive (I use SyncToy) on the netbook, and then all my mapping files are ready to go. Basically I use my netbook for navigation instead of any setup. I've found that the small 10" screen is a pain for a lot of stuff like mapping.

I use the netbook everywhere I go (except the gym), it's small, reasonable lightweight, great for simple web browsing, etc. I can get 8-9hrs on the battery stretching it, or even 5-6 at full power, watching video, etc. On my Lenovo, I can't watch HD video, it just doesn't have the horsepower. There is a definite tradeoff in speed/power using a netbook.

If you want a little bit of an upgrade, look at the HP tm2t. Smaller (12") tablet, but can have i5 processor and dedicated graphics. I'm seriously considering getting this early next year as the 10" screen and lack of HD video on my netbook is starting to wear on me.

Having used this for a year as a tablet, I would not recommend getting a dedicated tablet (with no keyboard) unless all you do is browse the internet. I can't speak for the on-screen android keyboard, but I know the windows 7 keyboard is barely ok, and I'd never use it as a regular keyboard.

Wow thanks for the information I just purchased a ACER netbook and excited to get it and set it up.

When connecting your netbook to your desktop are you using wifi to access the shared drive? A little more info on this would be great, thanks.

Chris

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
DIY cup holder mount; made from a cut down cutting board, grey PVC pipe fitting and velcro.
2009 Ford Van, HP Netbook, Delorme Street Software and GPS antenna.

4274_1159000819759_1369941973_421602_624524_n.jpg

4274_1159000859760_1369941973_421603_488760_n.jpg

4274_1159000899761_1369941973_421604_4508243_n.jpg

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
DIY cup holder mount; made from a cut down cutting board, grey PVC pipe fitting and velcro.
2009 Ford Van, HP Netbook, Delorme Street Software and GPS antenna.

That's just brilliant. Simple, clever, effective, frugal and looks like it was designed to be there. Good-on-you!

dsy

Adventurer
Toughbook mounted on DIY stand. I like Maptech Terrain Navigator for off road nav and either Streets and Trips, or Garmin City Select
for over the road nav.

russrad25

too broke to ExPo
P1240004.jpg

P1240003.jpg

P1240002.jpg

P1240001.jpg

This is a mintronix adjustable mount. It is damped throughout it's travel to decrease shock loads. I have 2 mount heads for it, 1 with my docking station for my laptop, and 1 for the tablet pc that the arm was originally designed for. The wiring needs cleaned up and the mounting finished, but I need warmer weather to do that. Still debating on GPS software for both PCs.

buff30

This my setup jotto desk and a cf-28.

Attachments

• DSC02426.jpg
    DSC02426.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC02427.jpg
    DSC02427.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC02428.jpg
    DSC02428.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 91

The Proton

Here is my setup. Fujitsu 4121 with transrefective daylight visible display, connected to a modified docking station as a mount. The original dock is shown as well. It holds the unit securly as well as allowing for me to remove it by simply sliding the lock handle. I removed the lower section, and mounted it to the vehicle using an existing bolt hole in the center console. I only had to create the small metal bracket, which was a quick bend and drilling of 2 holes. Only disadvantage is that you have to use the pen for input. I also replaced the HDD with a solid state unit for better reiability. Software is Delorme TOPO, which it runs fine.

The whole setup on Ebay was less than $200.00. Not the fastest computer, but plenty fast enough for GPS.

Attachments

• IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 49

Forum statistics

Threads