Pelican alternitive

Honu

lost on the mainland
one of my buddies had seahorse case on the boats I worked on when I taught scuba for his video gear :) remembered that when I saw the logo :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
like me he worked on the boat 5-6 days a week humping his gear on and off the boat and working out of it ? so cant say for sure but I know he never had issues as we would always be chatting and such and he was a friend and in a working setup like that says a lot if stuff holds up !!!!
and I dont ever remember him getting a new case ? but I do remember the seahorse :)

so again I guess I never remember asking him specifics about it just one of those things he had :)

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
Has anybody checked out Underwater Kinetics cases? I picked up their 613 UltraCase for free from my last job. I have my first aid kit in their now.

The build quality is good and I haven't had any problems with it.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I used UK case for my small personal med kit for diving :) great stuff
my med kit was beat to hell and back and never leaked etc.. was more a dry box style half the size of a shoe box about :)

also loved their lights and had about 5 or more of them ? and were IMHO some of the best dive lights and never had issues with those either

pelican lights I did have major issues with !!! but pelican cases never :)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
After I emailed Seahorse an inquiry from their site, it brought me to their #1 dealer(The Waterproof Case Co/Fuerte Cases) main site.
They seems to have a huge variety of cases available(Seahorse, UK, BW Outdoor, SKB, Nanuk, Starlight, Pelican, etc); http://www.fuertecases.com/products.html
Dimension-dimension, seems that pricing goes lowest-highest; Seahorse, BW Outdoor, UK, Pelican, SKB. Personally I think that BW Outdoor look the best for the money.

For those of you using these in water, it seems Underwater Kinetics cases are only submerge tested to 1m(3.28ft). Seahorses are submerge tested to 30ft at least. So much for the marketing name "Underwater."

I found their size charts handy for tracking down which cases they have for my needs; http://www.fuertecases.com/size-charts.html

Anyways, anyone else used any of these cases, specifically BW Outdoor?

Binkie

I recently bought an S3 case and some Underwater Kinetics Ultra Cases.

The S3 is a camera case for the basics during camping trips (camera, flash, etc), just to keep them protected from rain and campfire ash. For the price, I am extremely happy. It is to throw around in the back of the car, not the bottom of a canoe(but I think I would trust it there too). The plastic seems like it might be more brittle, but I thing it is the gloss finish that deceives you. The smaller Pelicans are shiny too after all! Too bad they stop at the 6510 size, but Underwater Kinetics has equivalent product that goes bigger.

I bought one UK ultra case for lug nuts and lug nut tools (my winters use different style nuts), and another just because. I am super impressed with this Ultra Case mini case series, you almost can't compare to Pelican because they are different. The feel, the inside rubber liner, the lanyard, the way they stack, they are just sort of different, but in a good way. This purchase is addictive, I see more of these in my future for specific tasks, like for valuables at the beach, or protect cel from water bottles, another larger camera case etc, etc...

It appears that in the small to medium sizes, there is lots of rational competitive product. When you get to the larger sizes, Pelican looks a little cheaper. For most car camping or short term travels, Pelican type cases for everything is way overkill. My biggest beef with the Rubbermaid Action Packers is the sizing. They seem to be missing some sizes, they are either too big or too small. I have been eying up for years yet never bought one because of the sizes-not the price or lack of seal!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Seahorse is another alternative to Pelican. Made in USA, meets applicable Mil-Spec, lifetime warranty. The manufacturer is willing to make custom modifications, such as waterproof ports for electrical cables.
Manufacturer's web site: www.seahorse.net
Vendors: http://www.seahorsecasesonline.com/ and many others

I own many seahorse cases. Work as advertised. I ran my camera case over with my F150 to test it and it never deformed or even scratched. I am a Seahorse user for most things. I wish they made the Luggage style cases like pelican has now. But that's worth spending the money on.

broken1

Observer
MCMelectronics cases

MCM used to sell Duratool "Black Weatherproof Tool Box", they were cost effective and quite good:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DURATOOL-MJ-139-20-5-/22-14355

Now they have them under a different title "Black Tactical Weatherproof Equipment Case":
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-24120

I have a few of the old top ones, used a set as panniers on my Tiger, the lower ones are the replacement and look like the same thing from the looks of it. They are about 80% as rugged as a pelican/hardigg/storm for about 20% the cost. Would I put $60,000 worth of camera stuff in it for an amazon trip? Probably not. My clothes, gear, and crap for an adventure? Sure enough. Note: If I had $60k to spend on camera equipment, I wouldn't be shaving cost on the cases...

I did some informal torture testing (i loaded one heavy with loose recovery gear (~35 pounds of 1" clevises and snatch blocks), no foam and tumbled it down a 12' fight of metal grate stairs) Some of the guards around the hinges and clasps chipped on the third run, fourth run compromised the case itself. This was after a few flat and on angle drops from 6' ... A pelican may have survived a fifth or sixth top down the stairs possibly more but I've never tried. The seal is hose proof direct spray but I wouldn't submerge it deep loaded heavy and not expect a leak. definitely remember to close the breather valve.

I plan on picking up a couple of the new ones and a couple of these:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-24160

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78