Pelican cases

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I came across a 1600 and a couple 1650s with wheels. What sort of gear do you typically keep in there? I was thinking of keeping my shop manuals and electrical testing and repair tools in the 1600. Stuff that really needs to stay dry and dust free, It is unused with a complete foam kit. The 1650s are used and the foam has been cut for the prior uses. I thought of just using one for kitchen gear. These could really open up space in the inside of the 80 for other things as they can live on the roof or in the trailer.

Or I could move the first aid gear to the 1600 and make a nice tool set for a 1650 as they have extra carry handles for two man lift and the wheels.

What do you keep in a Pelican case?

Thanks,
Dave

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
We have a complete cooking kit in a Pelican hard case - including an MSR super fly, Jet boil, Plates, MSR cooking kit, utensils ( I am thinking of riveting a holder for the utensils on the upper inside lid) Its a nice way to go if you need to carry the kitchen to another location or swap to another vehicle.

Another pelican hard case used for all the batteries, chargers, and electrical needed for video work in the field.

A soft pelican case holds a small printer and Aux Hard drive along with cables and peripherals for computer needs on the road.

A second soft case for microphones and all the needed cabling for audio/video work.

A mini Pelican holds two GMSR radios and all the charging for it.

A super mini Pelican holds a set of Stauns and air gauge.

Guess I am Pelican loco :elkgrin:

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
We keep the following in our 1550's

Cooking Kit with utencils and plates cups etc..
Dry food Goods.
Clothes one for me & one for the wife.
sleeping bags and pillows.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Desertdude said:
We have a complete cooking kit in a Pelican hard case - including an MSR super fly, Jet boil, Plates, MSR cooking kit, utensils ( I am thinking of riveting a holder for the utensils on the upper inside lid) Its a nice way to go if you need to carry the kitchen to another location or swap to another vehicle.

Another pelican hard case used for all the batteries, chargers, and electrical needed for video work in the field.

A soft pelican case holds a small printer and Aux Hard drive along with cables and peripherals for computer needs on the road.

A second soft case for microphones and all the needed cabling for audio/video work.

Come on moderator: TTIUWOP! Inquiring minds want to SEE too! :hehe:

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Desertdude said:

What size case do you use for the kitchen stuff? I could probably use a 1650 for that if I bought a 2 burner propane stove instead of the big old 1960's 3 burner white gas one that we currently run. There are 5 of us, though. The thing I'm most stoked about is the dust free and waterproofing of these. I can just orient them in the trailer and strap them down, no need to tarp them over.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
There are some interesting examples of applications of Pelican cases on Expedition Exchange (Expedition Exchange Pelican Cases).

Scroll down and there is an example of a 1650 being used as storage for a field kitchen. There is also a very nice example of a 1554 being used as a tool box (very complete tool kit BTW).

HTH.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Desertdude said:

DD: Did you cut out the foam to allow slots for the various kitchen utensils? Or how are you keeping everything from getting destroyed en route? Pics?

TTIUWOP = This Thread Is Useless Without Pics :D

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I use one for the first aid kit in bright orange....

Its big and bulky but at least when I need the gear its all still in sealed packets rather than broken paper wraps ie not sterile and crushed leaking bottles and tubes.

I use one for my camera and film gear with cut out foam, my baby snapper is in the front within easy reach the slr etc lives in the case.

when travelling abroad I use another for all the families paperwork, sun glasses etc etc, when we leave the hotel room for the beach I simply padlock it to the furniture

all three are the 1550's

My other fave gear packers are the Northface large Duffles
we had 4 of them on this trip to Oman and were the perfect size for humping large quantities of gear

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
1650: CO2 tank & reg, hose, Toyota jack, sand-tracks, rain gear, jumper cables and tire iron.
1490: Laptop, gps and cables.

jh504

Explorer
At work we have some $25,000 digital templating machines that the guys put in these cases. They drag them around all over construction jobsites so the cases better keep the cargo intact.
My wife uses a smaller one for her camera and equipment. It has worked great so far. She just complains about how hard it is to open.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
jh504 said:
She just complains about how hard it is to open.

The new ones actually feel odd to open to me after the years of opening the other style. They are strangely easy. If that makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior