Perfect off-highway tire = LTX? What?

kb1ejh

I think you are mistaking the LTX M/S for a true mud tire. The M/S is a quiet street tire and a good one. The AT has a more aggressive tread. Michelin's A/T 2 does not have as an aggressive tread as most AT tires, but it is more aggressive than any of the Michelin M/S tires.
I may have thought the M/S was more of a monster mudder I guess. I looked a my Disco 1 today and realized that it has a Defender LTX M/S on as a spare. It actually looks just about the same as the AT2, just doesn't have the load capacity of the AT2.

ChrisCosta416

Did a bunch of trails in Big bear this past weekend, ran the first half of Little John Bull, pretty sure thats where I got this sidewall damage.

Deep sidewall cut exposing the cords, I made the judgement to drive home that way as the cords are all intact and not cut or damaged. Put the spare Defender on and all is good!

I should of aired down a few more PSI :) However still holding upIMG_8906.JPGIMG_8912.JPGIMG_8907.JPGIMG_8870.JPG

gwittman

Adventurer
It looks like a very sharp rock did that. I am always on the lookout for those sharp ones, but it is hard to see all of them.

True off-road tires usually have better side wall protection. You may have found one of the weaknesses of the LTX for off-raod duty. I have to say though a sturdier off-road tire may have sucummed to that rock also.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
I don't know, that damage looks like something sharper than a rock, like maybe a broken off steel fence post that @ChrisCosta416 just barely hit, hidden on the edge of a trail. Just an opinion.

MontySquareo

I have a similar cut on my Michelin ltx a/t2, it still holds air just fine. And depending on where you are, there's some kinds of rock that are as sharp as fence posts (mostly lava rock in my experience.
The Michelin a/t sidewall looks the same as the defender sidewall (no side biters)

ChrisCosta416

Ill do a proper review of the tires soon but they work and I love them, I do think I will be going to a K02 in C load in the next few weeks for a few reasons

1) 50lbs
2) slightly slightly bigger
3) I find myself continuing to do more difficult trails where I have no options but to rest on the sidewall
4) OEM tire size for the Rock warrior wheel

I think for those who do difficult trails a few times a year and highway, easy trails the rest of the time this is the perfect tire.

I wish I was running an 18inch wheel because you can get a true 33.5 Defender in a R18 size. That would be the most ideal option and I think that would leave more than enough sidewall to do difficult trails.

I find myself running trails at least once a month now and @Toasty is dragging me to some harder trails in NorCal this year which is the main reason I am switching.

TLDR. Michelin Defender is probably the BEST and true "all-terrain" tire out there for most peoples needs, sure they look boring but function over form. You do not need 500lbs of stuff bolted to you truck and giant mud terrain tires if all you are going to do is go to Big Bear or Alabama hills a few times a year.

After modifying vehicles and watching overlanding grow into what it is now at least in Southern California, less is more and sometimes a close to stock form is the best thing.

Winterhawk

I recently sold a truck that had the LTX tires for 8 years. I cut the sidewall similiar, but not quite as bad as the post #182 in year one, and it never was an issue for the rest of it's life. The truck was used in mild off highway conditions but occasionally a rock was inevitable. They were fine off highway, but for moderate on up I'd feel better with better sidewall protection. My XJ has Duratrac's and they have held up very well in the rocky trails. Not sure what I'll replace them with next year. Tires are expensive so experimenting with different brands and tread patterns isn't going to happen.

ChrisCosta416

Looks like I misunderstood americas tire and what they would do for me, so I’ll be rolling on these defenders for many many more miles

Very intrigued by these now, especially since planning an 8000km road trip to the Arctic, with 2000km of which being gravel roads (Dempster). Would you suggest getting P or LT rated LTXs for this purpose? Essentially looking for the most comfort/fuel efficiency(range) but not at the expense of durability. Not planning on much off-roading with these..I've been using Cooper AT3 4S last few years, they've been fine (save one puncture) but are starting to make noise around 55/60mph.

Last edited:

ChrisCosta416

Very intrigued by these now, especially since planning an 8000km road trip to the Arctic, with 2000km of which being gravel roads (Dempster). Would you suggest getting P or LT rated LTXs for this purpose? Essentially looking for the most comfort/fuel efficiency(range) but not at the expense of durability. Not planning on much off-roading with these..I've been using Cooper AT3 4S last few years, they've been fine (save one puncture) but are starting to make noise around 55/60mph.
LT all the way.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Very intrigued by these now, especially since planning an 8000km road trip to the Arctic, with 2000km of which being gravel roads (Dempster).

Though it won't happen for me this coming year for the Alcan, I have a mild-safari A7 on which I have the Defenders for this purpose.

Would you suggest getting P or LT rated LTXs for this purpose? Essentially looking for the most comfort/fuel efficiency(range) but not at the expense of durability.

I don't personally see much degradation by any stretch whatsoever with LTs over Ps. I would err to LT all year long.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
If you'll be driving dirt roads then LT is a must.

Case in point: I'm a member of a Sheriff's Search and Rescue team. Our SAR vehicles are all shod with LT tires. A few days ago we were called out on a search in a very remote area. The Sheriff's deputy accompanying us was driving a new Ford Expedition still wearing its OEM "P" rated tires. A rock went clean through the tread of his passenger side rear tire within 10 miles after we left pavement. None of the vehicles with LT tires had a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior