Performance Chip

westyss

Explorer
Installed a performance chip in my truck a few weeks back (2007 FG) and thought I would post up about it.

After installing the chip I went on two trips with it operational, the first was a fully loaded trip towing the boat with all its stuff(motor, tanks, oars etc) along with bikes and all the usual stuff which makes me around 11,000 pounds. The other trip was different in that I was pretty light, not much stuff at all and even solo.

The route was heading up the Coquihalla Highway, a road that leaves the Vancouver lower mainland and progressively climbs to around 4,500 feet with a particularly steep 8% grade, then down into Merritt BC and back up to an alpine lake around 5,000 feet elevation.

The chip is a Steinbauer unit, it does not raise the the fuel common rail pressure, it simply optimizes the duration that the injector stays open to increase power.

I would start by saying that it works, and it works well! It has reduced the amount of down shifting and has made that trip much more enjoyable to drive, the low end torque seems to be the most noticeable improvement but an all around improvement in power is there too.
It was very easy to install except for the length of the plug on the loom they supply, it is a long plug and there is not much extra room to play with, the wires as a result need to make some tight bends which is not ideal. I did a quickie install and still need to tidy things up, I will be putting some extra protection onto the loom to protect from chaffing and some split loom onto the power and sensor wires from the cab.

Trip One I took it easy on the way up but tested the system on the big snow shed grade, it's one of those climbs where there is evidence of vehicles spewing their coolant out to all out burnt out shells of rigs with many burnt patches of asphalt along the way....... I would normally be in third gear at the steepest spot and that trip I stayed in fourth. I had heard that you may have to watch for engine temps using a chip and it did get up there but not near the red.
On the way back on the first trip I kept my speed up and made it home in really good time and really started to notice the improvement.

Trip two I wanted to just give 'er ( if one can do that in a FG?) keep the pedal to the metal, and also have a short term MPG figure while given'er.
I made it up to the lake in record time and sure noticed the difference in performance, with only one fill up after the continuous climb I calculated 16.6MPG imperial, so once I fill up next I will have the downhill portion of drive to get a more accurate MPG figure.

Thanks to Owen(Canter 4x4) for figuring out a chip that would work from Oz( It is not available in NA) and Alan(supplied it and sent it)

I will take some images after I tidy the install up.

yabanja

Explorer
Very Interesting!

Installed a performance chip in my truck a few weeks back (2007 FG) and thought I would post up about it.

After installing the chip I went on two trips with it operational, the first was a fully loaded trip towing the boat with all its stuff(motor, tanks, oars etc) along with bikes and all the usual stuff which makes me around 11,000 pounds. The other trip was different in that I was pretty light, not much stuff at all and even solo.

The route was heading up the Coquihalla Highway, a road that leaves the Vancouver lower mainland and progressively climbs to around 4,500 feet with a particularly steep 8% grade, then down into Merritt BC and back up to an alpine lake around 5,000 feet elevation.

The chip is a Steinbauer unit, it does not raise the the fuel common rail pressure, it simply optimizes the duration that the injector stays open to increase power.

I would start by saying that it works, and it works well! It has reduced the amount of down shifting and has made that trip much more enjoyable to drive, the low end torque seems to be the most noticeable improvement but an all around improvement in power is there too.
It was very easy to install except for the length of the plug on the loom they supply, it is a long plug and there is not much extra room to play with, the wires as a result need to make some tight bends which is not ideal. I did a quickie install and still need to tidy things up, I will be putting some extra protection onto the loom to protect from chaffing and some split loom onto the power and sensor wires from the cab.

Trip One I took it easy on the way up but tested the system on the big snow shed grade, it's one of those climbs where there is evidence of vehicles spewing their coolant out to all out burnt out shells of rigs with many burnt patches of asphalt along the way....... I would normally be in third gear at the steepest spot and that trip I stayed in fourth. I had heard that you may have to watch for engine temps using a chip and it did get up there but not near the red.
On the way back on the first trip I kept my speed up and made it home in really good time and really started to notice the improvement.

Trip two I wanted to just give 'er ( if one can do that in a FG?) keep the pedal to the metal, and also have a short term MPG figure while given'er.
I made it up to the lake in record time and sure noticed the difference in performance, with only one fill up after the continuous climb I calculated 16.6MPG imperial, so once I fill up next I will have the downhill portion of drive to get a more accurate MPG figure.

Thanks to Owen(Canter 4x4) for figuring out a chip that would work from Oz( It is not available in NA) and Alan(supplied it and sent it)

This is very interesting. Please keep us informed on long term fuel economy/reliability issues. Not sure if this is applicable to my 2000 fg however.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy

Looking forward to seeing more details and pictures. How much did it cost to get the chip?

westyss

Explorer
This is very interesting. Please keep us informed on long term fuel economy/reliability issues. Not sure if this is applicable to my 2000 fg however.

Well this is why I posted, to get some more feedback particularly from the Oz crowd, I tried to buy one in NA but there is not enough demand here, I assumed that there would be several on this forum that have a chip and would comment on the reliability of it, seems to me like the chip would not harm the engine but I dont know, I see the new fuso with a 3 litre engine and they get more power than the 4.9 litre, where does that power come from? Anyway, if those that have used a chip on an Fg could chime in on their thoughts about it would be good. I obviously am hoping that it will do no harm to the engine, it seems to be the right amount of power and it is definitely not overboard.
MPG numbers coming soon but from what I see to this point it will be a similar number to what I am getting now, I have no false hopes of getting more power and less fuel consumption at the same time, that to me does not compute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998