photos of modifications

irishoffroad

Hi, Im looking for some ideas on making a small bed and storage in a pickup, I found these pictures and its something like what I want, Does anyone else have anything like this I could see just to get some more ideas.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/668755584.html

Im not looking for a toilet beside my head where I sleep, I dont want a table either. I think I could put a little table in the back that I could take down.

Thanks

irishoffroad

Spikepretorius said:
That's not a helluva good example. If you search a bit here you'll find some stuff that's way more practical.
Iv been looking but not having much luck. It needs to be easy to put together, nothing to crazy. where should I look?

toyota_jon

Adventurer
more details would help give you some direction. are you sleeping one or two? what kind of stuff are you looking to store? do you have any weight restrictions? are you going to make it yourself or do you want to buy one? there are tons of ideas here. i'm currently in the middle of building one. LINK

irishoffroad

toyota_jon said:
more details would help give you some direction. are you sleeping one or two? what kind of stuff are you looking to store? do you have any weight restrictions? are you going to make it yourself or do you want to buy one? there are tons of ideas here. i'm currently in the middle of building one. LINK
Hi, Ill be sleeping two people and starting in Alaska and driving around for 3 months down to Colorado and the west. I need to be able to build it in a couple of days so it has to be simple. Ill be in a strange situation as Ill be arriving in by plane and then buying a pickup with shell, Extra cab or long bed I don’t know yet, I guess it depends on what I can find. Ill have basic camping gear with me and ill buy a Coleman 3 burner stove, 5 gallon water carrier, little table and chairs(2) A cooler, dry food box, a couple of pots and pans and basic utensils(knifes forks plates ect)
I don’t want it to be too heavy but need to store stuff under the bed, the photos of the one I saw on Craigslist looks easy to build without the table and toilet, and you can sit in the back like a couch if its raining and even put a little table in the middle between the seats, and then I could slide the cooler and stuff to the back and put the bed on top for sleeping .
I just wanted to see what other ideas might be out there.
Thanks

Clutch

<---Pass
You could do cots for sleeping. Then you wouldn't have to build anything. Then some plastic containers for storage, quick and simple.

They do sell kits like these over here, if this is what you are looking for. Usually referred to as "Truck Carpet Kits" or "Truck Bed Kits"

http://www.calconcepts.com/BedLinerKits_Tent/bedlinerkits.html

CARPET%20KITS%20SIZED.jpg

You would have to buy a fullsize truck with a highroof topper. if you want to sit up and be somewhat comfortable.

Lee-1.jpg

Last edited:

irishoffroad

Kermit said:
You could do cots for sleeping. Then you wouldn't have to build anything. Then some plastic containers for storage, quick and simple.

They do sell kits like these over here, if this is what you are looking for. Usually referred to as "Truck Carpet Kits" or "Truck Bed Kits"

http://www.calconcepts.com/BedLinerKits_Tent/bedlinerkits.html

CARPET%20KITS%20SIZED.jpg

You would have to buy a fullsize truck with a highroof topper. if you want to sit up and be somewhat comfortable.

Lee-1.jpg
No bad, but id rather a brunette:sport_box

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Kermit said:

+1 on this. As I found out on my Utah trip the cab-high shell does not cut it for camping, at least not comfortably. I'd honestly rather be in a tent.

Clutch

<---Pass
irishoffroad said:
For sure, I really want a high roof one. I couldnt handle a nomal cab high.

I had a regular camper shell on my Tacoma before I got my Wildernest. Even sitting on the floor. There is very little headroom. I did do a futon mattress, fold it up when not in use, or half fold to make a "couch". I did that for years, worked fairly good.

If want alot of room for cheap, You can easily find a 6 person tent for about $100 USD. I have a Columbia, which works out well. If you're caught in the rain, sure beats being in the back of the truck.

Last edited:

irishoffroad

Kermit said:
I had a regular camper shell on my Tacoma before I got my Wildernest. Even sitting on the floor. There is very little headroom. I did do a futon mattress, fold it up when not in use, or half fold to make a "couch". I did that for years, worked fairly good.

If want alot of room for cheap, You can easily find a 6 person tent for about $100 USD. I have a Columbia, which works out well. If you're caught in the rain, sure beats being in the back of the truck.
Yea thats a good idea. ill probably do that too, it gives a bit more room than my 2 man tent.

Clutch

<---Pass
irishoffroad said:
Yea thats a good idea. ill probably do that too, it gives a bit more room than my 2 man tent.

I use it in addition to my Wildernest if we are staying in a place for a long period of time. I use it as my mess/gear tent.

I was stuck in the rain for a week in a 2 man...well let me tell you, it lead to the purchase of the 6 man.

Here is a photo, so you can get an idea of the scale:

Your trip sounds cool, flying into Alaska, buying a vehicle there, then driving to Colorado. Is it vacation or are you moving here?

Last edited:

Super Doody

Explorer
irishoffroad said:
Hi, Im looking for some ideas on making a small bed and storage in a pickup, I found these pictures and its something like what I want, Does anyone else have anything like this I could see just to get some more ideas.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/668755584.html

Im not looking for a toilet beside my head where I sleep, I dont want a table either. I think I could put a little table in the back that I could take down.

Thanks

wow they must be really short or have raised camper shell.

toyota_jon

Adventurer
I think if i was you i'd bring as much as you can with you including a tent. things in AK are very expensive. Food is through the roof. and then what i would do is once you get your truck head over to wally-world or freddy's (i can tell you where they are if you need) and then i'd get a bunch of plastic containers and tie downs and just organize your truck that way. it will save you time, and probably some cash as well. that way you can go and start camping right away.

on a side note while you're up there make sure you go over to the moose's tooth and have a pint of their pipeline stout for me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears