Phxtoad's KJ - 10 years of wheelin'

phxtoad

Adventurer
attachment.php

AZVJC Album: http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/album.php?albumid=313

It's funny how time flies...

Well it is with great sadness that I'm announcing the end of the road (for me anyway) with the Jeeplet: My '02 Liberty that I picked-up used in '03. I've had her exactly ten years, and she's been a great scout car overall, taking me and my family all over the place and back.

Last week her engine hiccuped at +143,000 miles. Lost compression in cylinder #2. Likely a bent valve reports her mechanic of 10 years. Prior to this event she was running strong. I had put a lot of money into her in the last year - thinking I was going to keep her for a few more years... All new bushings/ball joint at the rear suspension, and a major engine maintenance service session: new hoses, belt, water pump, radiator, all fluids, etc. However, the cost of a re-build or re-engine at this point just doesn't make sense to me, not with our YJ available to have fun in and the wife's GX470 for trips. It's depressing, but time.

Here's the talley of 'missions completed' if you will. Location and number of times listed:

Butcher Jones/the Coves IIIII II
Lower Sycamore Creek II
El Golfo de Santa Clara, Mexico II
Roosevelt Lake III
Buttercup, Imperial Sand Dunes, California II
Rocky Point, Mexico IIII
Rail X, Tucson I
Chivo Falls, Tucson I
Broken Arrow, Sedona II
Pinetop, White Mountains II
Mogollon Rim I
San Francisco Peaks, Flagstaff I
Martinez Cabin, Florence Junction I
Coke Ovens, Florence Junction I
Box Canyon, Florence Junction I
Long Canyon/Gemini Bridges, Moab, Utah I
Fins & Things / Porcupine Rim, Moab, Utah I
Back Way to Crown King I
Powerline/Pipeline Trails, Verde Valley II
Mingus Mountain/Jerome II
Bisbee II
Sunflower Mine I
Bulldog Canyon I
Soldier's Pass, Sedona I
Four Peaks / Apache Trail I
Charouleau Gap, Tucson I
Ajax Mine/Telegraph Trail, FJ/Superior I
Walnut Canyon, Superior II

Todd

Last edited:

stomperxj

Explorer
R.I.P. KJ Jeeplet. Looks like it served you well. Have you thought about just doing a top end and checking the bottom end? What's the cost of a motor swap vs buying another rig? Are you planning to part it or sell as is?

phxtoad

Adventurer
I'm guessing the top end is the extent of the problem, but I'm cutting my losses - so I'll be selling her as is. She starts and runs, but is clearly down a cylinder and can't idle.

As a matter of fact I am going to sell my 'Hitchcans' set-up. Interested?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger