Picking up new camera today...

Wanderlusty

Explorer
During this weekend's outing, while trying to catch a pic of a water crossing, my friend kinda....errr...dropped....my point-and-shoot Canon into the water.

Sooo......the months and months of pondering and dreaming of moving up in the photographic world to an entry level DSLR just moved closer into reality.

A month ago we almost bought one, but paused to think on it due to the price...but now we have a good reason (no camera) and are going for it.

We are looking at the Nikon D-40. From every review I have seen it seems to be a pretty nifty camera for those just getting started in serious amateur photography.

Anyone have this camera, have experience with it, or heard things (good, bad, indifferent)?

Anyone have another camera they think I should consider?

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Well, we have never got a camera to last more than 3-4 years ourselves, though I admit at this price, I hope it does.

That is kind of the top of our budget right now, and it seems to be a pretty good camera for the $$$.

slooowr6

Explorer
Let us know what you think of the D40 after you get it! I've a Canon c230 p&s the picture from it is ok but the lens is small so the quality of pic is limit by that. Would be nice if you can share your thought on compareing D40 and you p&s after you play with D40.:D

Robthebrit

Explorer
I only use canon but I have used a friends D40 and its a fine entry dSLR, every bit as good as the canon's in the same range. You should always consider a digital body is just a computer and regardless of what you buy it will be out of date in a couple of years so the fact its light and may only last a couple of years may not be an issue. Like people have said many times before - the glass is what matters. Get some good glass and you'll be more than happy with the results from the D40, you can always upgrade to a better body and use the same glass in the future.

Rob

articulate

Expedition Leader
slooowr6 said:
. . . share your thought on compareing D40 and you p&s after you play with D40.:D
HA! I do believe the comparison may go something like this, "Uh, I didn't know shooting with a P&S sucked until I tried the D-40."

I can't wait to see some photos from your new camera, Dave. You'll be much happier with a DSLR than a P&S. Rob said it well, too: the camera body isn't magical. Good lenses are. The body is just a box.

slooowr6

Explorer
articulate said:
HA! I do believe the comparison may go something like this, "Uh, I didn't know shooting with a P&S sucked until I tried the D-40."

I can't wait to see some photos from your new camera, Dave. You'll be much happier with a DSLR than a P&S. Rob said it well, too: the camera body isn't magical. Good lenses are. The body is just a box.
:smileeek: Really?? J/K.
I just need some one to push me over the fence. :sombrero:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Consider the D80

Fat_Man said:
During this weekend's outing, while trying to catch a pic of a water crossing, my friend kinda....errr...dropped....my point-and-shoot Canon into the water.

Sooo......the months and months of pondering and dreaming of moving up in the photographic world to an entry level DSLR just moved closer into reality.

A month ago we almost bought one, but paused to think on it due to the price...but now we have a good reason (no camera) and are going for it.

We are looking at the Nikon D-40. From every review I have seen it seems to be a pretty nifty camera for those just getting started in serious amateur photography.

Anyone have this camera, have experience with it, or heard things (good, bad, indifferent)?

Anyone have another camera they think I should consider?

David, consider the D80 as an alternative. The main thing that the D40 doesn't have is a mechanical drive for nikon's standard auto-focus lenses. In other words, there's a motor in the D80, D200, etc. and all of their other AF bodies that can drive the focus mechanism on their standard AF lenses. The D40 will only work with their AF-S lenses (similar to the EF-S Canon lenses). The AF-S lenses have their own AF motors built in and they draw current from the body to power the lens's AF system.

Don't get me wrong, the AF-S lenses are great, especially the pro ones like the 70-200 VR or the 17-55 (I have both of these), but I would like the option of adding other lenses. Only you can decide if this is important, but I'll throw one out there that I use all the time in low light situations (50 f/1.4) This is one of the fastest lenses (=allows the most light) out there and a joy to use on a DSLR in low light situations. Put differently, the 50 f/1.4 will allow 4 times as much light into the body as the fastest, most expensive Nikon pro zooms (like the 2 I mentioned above). Those zooms are a constant f/2.8, which only allow 1/4 the amount of light into the camera as any f/1.4 lens will. Your typical zoom that is less pricey would have a variable aperture, such as f/3.5 (short end) to f/5.6 (long end). For anyone that doesn't know about f-stops; the larger the number, the less light the lens will carry to the sensor.

So, I'm a "spend my money once kind of guy", so for a couple or even few hundred more, I'd go with the D80.

Also, double check that whether the D40 and D80 have the same AF system. I believe the D80 has the same as my D200, which is the CAM 1000 unit. It's very fast and responsive. Very nice for quick photography, such as trying to keep up with your new kid whenever he/she starts running around. Or, when doing sports or action type photography.

Let me know if you've got other questions. I've got a complete Nikon system with over 12 lenses and 4 bodies. I use them all the time and could tell you practically anything you'd want to know about them.

Good luck and good choice with the Nikon (Canon's are also top notch).

Cheers,

TD

Wanderlusty

Explorer
The 'few hundred more' is a big problem. Now I was bummed to see that they stopped making the D50. I am sure someone still has the D50's for sale...

I had read about the differences in lenses. I am at this point not sure just how deeply into amateur photography I will get. Money will be a concern for some time to come, so I don't see myself buying more than maybe one additional lens any time soon...if even that.

This article compares the two:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/

It seems a bit like a trade-off. Each having their own qualities. Except for the lens situation, which almost makes you scratch your head and wonder why they equipped it that way, but I don't know if even that is enough reason to sway me to a more expensive camera. Actually, I know it is not, because we just don't have the money to spend beyond the D40 right now.

I may kick myself later, or I may be just fine. Worst case, I can sell the lenses for some money....a lot more money than I can sell my 'ol point and shoot for, too....

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
If the choice is lenses or a body, spend the money on the lenses. But like has been pointed out, the AF-S lenses are not cheap. I think I'd go for something that can accept at least all AF lenses and look for a couple of nice used lenses.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Last month, I saw several stores, such as Sears even that still had some D50's...but I hesitated, and now E-Bay looks like the best bet for a D50...which doesn't excite me....

Well, I will have to surf around some more and see what I can dig up now...

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Fat_Man said:
Last month, I saw several stores, such as Sears even that still had some D50's...but I hesitated, and now E-Bay looks like the best bet for a D50...which doesn't excite me....

Well, I will have to surf around some more and see what I can dig up now...

Well, if you're gonna go the eBay route, then you might also look for a good price on a D70s. It came out a bit before the D50, but it shares the same 6.1MP sensor and AF system as the D50. You might be able to find one at a reasonable price.

Also, the D40 looks like a great intro camera. It's a helluva lot more camera than a point and shoot. I just wanted to point out the lens compatibility issue so that you could go into it with open eyes. If you ever want to add one of the non-compatible lenses, you would just have to focus manually--not that big of deal unless the subject is constantly on the move.

As pointed out earlier, the glass is more important than the body. Always buy the best glass you can afford. You will hold on to it longer than you will your body.

Good luck, David.

TD

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Well, picked it up.

We picked it up from a good shop in Little Rock that has been around for a long time and actually knows good service and knows the product they sell. Our salesman owns a D200 and does some pro work on the side. Very knowledgeable.

Spent about an hour discussing the pros and cons with the salesperson. They actually had a single D50 left, and so at one point we had a D50, a D40 and D40x out on the counter.

In the end we still went with the D40 for a variety of uses.

On the lenses, the salesman pointed out that everything Nikon has put out for the last year and a half is the AF-S, and it is the way they are moving their entire line. So while going with an AF-S only camera may limit me from, say, a great deal on someones lenses at a garage sale, going forward, it shouldn't be a big impediment.

The camera came with an 18-55 lens. We looked at one kit that came with an 18-135 lens. But it was several hundred more. They showed us a nice 55-200 lens that we may look at picking up later in the year before our trip West. It was $250ish.

All in all, it does look like it bill be a great camera to break into some amateur photography.

The camera 'came' with a one night class to go over some camera basics. The same shop offers a multi-week course for a little $$$ that one or both of us may take later this year.

As soon as I get further than my rather mundane back yard, I will put up some shots, maybe even try to duplicate some shots taken by the point-n-shoot...a kinda 'before' and 'after' deal...

So we are both excited. My wife especially. She actually considers the camera 'hers' and has barely let me touch it. Of course seeing as how the last one was broken while on my watch....maybe that is a good idea on her part...

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Oh, and in a wierd twist of fate.....on a whim, after a week of not working, I slipped batteries into the old point-n-shoot....and it works. So I guess I have a trail camera...for instances like when it might accidentally be dropped into water, etc....

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Fat_Man said:
Well, picked it up.

We picked it up from a good shop in Little Rock that has been around for a long time and actually knows good service and knows the product they sell. Our salesman owns a D200 and does some pro work on the side. Very knowledgeable.

Spent about an hour discussing the pros and cons with the salesperson. They actually had a single D50 left, and so at one point we had a D50, a D40 and D40x out on the counter.

In the end we still went with the D40 for a variety of uses.

On the lenses, the salesman pointed out that everything Nikon has put out for the last year and a half is the AF-S, and it is the way they are moving their entire line. So while going with an AF-S only camera may limit me from, say, a great deal on someones lenses at a garage sale, going forward, it shouldn't be a big impediment.

The camera came with an 18-55 lens. We looked at one kit that came with an 18-135 lens. But it was several hundred more. They showed us a nice 55-200 lens that we may look at picking up later in the year before our trip West. It was $250ish.

All in all, it does look like it bill be a great camera to break into some amateur photography.

The camera 'came' with a one night class to go over some camera basics. The same shop offers a multi-week course for a little $$$ that one or both of us may take later this year.

As soon as I get further than my rather mundane back yard, I will put up some shots, maybe even try to duplicate some shots taken by the point-n-shoot...a kinda 'before' and 'after' deal...

So we are both excited. My wife especially. She actually considers the camera 'hers' and has barely let me touch it. Of course seeing as how the last one was broken while on my watch....maybe that is a good idea on her part...

David, welcome to Nikon. I think you're gonna really enjoy that camera. Hopefully these new AF-S lenses are as fast as the other AF-S lenses that they make. You'll really enjoy how quickly they respond.

Something inexpensive that you might think about: adding your equipment to a personal articles rider on your home owner's insurance. I did this a few years ago and it covers anything that could possibly happen to my gear, including dropping it in a lake or smashing it on the ground. And, there's no deductilbe either. For about $20K in coverage, I pay about $40/month. So, I'm assuming that it would be even lower for $1-2K in coverage.

Most of all, get out there and take some pictures and enjoy it.

Cheers,

TD

Dave

Explorer
Fat_Man, now that you've had your D40 for a few weeks, how is it treating you? I'm looking into picking one up as my first SLR. Most everything I've read seems like it's a good fit for someone who has only used point and shoots but is wanting to move up to an SLR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan