PICKUP CAMPERS NOT BEING ALLOWED INTO MEXICO!!!!!!!!

adventuretrek

Adventurer
MEXICO CUSTOMS ENFORCING LAW THAT DOES NOT PERMIT ANY TRUCK OVER 1/2 T FROM CARRING A TRUCK CAMPER!!!

Last week I went directly to "the horses' mouth" (the SAT office at the border entry point in Reynosa, Tamps. Mexico, with my F350 pickup and a Lance 1130 camper, they reviewed the unit and the paperwork.

"This unit is NOT allowed into Mexico" was the answer!!! I asked to speak with the custom director, and he also told me the same. Both the registration, title, and the vehicle serial number and identification plates were reviewed. I told them I had to go to Mexcio for turismo....

The two suggestions were made:
1. If I could make arrangement with the border entry customs agent....ummmm?

2. Have the Texas motor vehicle dept change my veh classification to be a "MOTORHOME",,, IF it showed motorhome there would be no problem, and a 10 year permit would be issued.

Well, thats the story FROM THE HORSES MOUTH....and this is what the campers owners will face on arrival at the border.

chips95

Observer
Wow, we were down there in April with our Ram 2500 and Four Wheel Camper and had no issues and were planning to head down again around Thanksgiving. Any reasoning given on the change?

Roger M.

Adventurer
There are a few references here and there online pointing to the issue being related to the fact that a camper can be removed from the vehicle, and presumably sold in Mexico - with no record of the sale upon the return of the truck to the U.S.

A motorhome, van, or licensed trailer can all be tracked via registration paperwork done at the border, but a truck camper traditionally doesn't require either a license, or separate paperwork registering it.

I can't see banning truck campers entering Mexico as being any sort of "official" position, and I doubt that anybody at a border station is the right person to talk to.
It's the kind of thing one would have to solve through the Mexican Consulate, well in advance of showing up at the border.

Personally, and all things considered ... I'm "off" Mexico as a destination anyway - instead focusing on Canyonlands, Grand Staircase, Anza Borrego, Mojave, Devils Highway and other amazing places where the concept of bribery, graft, and rules made up on the spot are all superseded by something called the National Parks Service, and where dispersed camping on government owned land is a pleasant, relaxed affair.

Last edited:

adam88

Explorer
Sounds like you wasted a lot of your time. Should have just gone to the border and bribed the guard $50.

southpier

Expedition Leader
could it be some are so overweight going in, coming out with six or eight stowaways would make them unsafe?

adventuretrek

Adventurer
Mexico Customs - NO Logical Reason!

MEXICO CUSTOMS ENFORCING LAW THAT DOES NOT PERMIT ANY TRUCK OVER 1/2 T FROM CARRING A TRUCK CAMPER!!!

Last week I went directly to "the horses' mouth" (the SAT office at the border entry point in Reynosa, Tamps. Mexico, with my F350 pickup and a Lance 1130 camper, they reviewed the unit and the paperwork.

"This unit is NOT allowed into Mexico" was the answer!!! I asked to speak with the custom director, and he also told me the same. Both the registration, title, and the vehicle serial number and identification plates were reviewed. I told them I had to go to Mexcio for turismo....

The two suggestions were made:
1. If I could make arrangement with the border entry customs agent....ummmm?

2. Have the Texas motor vehicle dept change my veh classification to be a "MOTORHOME",,, IF it showed motorhome there would be no problem, and a 10 year permit would be issued.

Well, thats the story FROM THE HORSES MOUTH....and this is what the campers owners will face on arrival at the border.

I need to travel into Mexico this year with my Lance Camper and F350. I am doing a vehicle modification to make it a "motorhome" thru Texas DMV, which is quite a process (permanent mounting and photos, weight ticket, and statement/inspection)....this way they will issued a 10 year permit with no problem for the entry! -- do u believe???!!!

dlh62c

Explorer
Its my understanding that it's only been an issue if you require a TIP, Temporary Import Permit. It seems there's two issues, truck campers and the truck's GVWR.

The Gertol crowd have been fighting the issue off and on for the last couple of months. There's people working on it since it impacts the RV Caravan businesses.

The Church's were denied at Laredo. But I have since heard they were allowed to cross at Nogales with their truck camper and 1 ton truck.

Last edited:

dlh62c

Explorer
Sounds like you wasted a lot of your time. Should have just gone to the border and bribed the guard $50.

Having worked and traveled in the Middle East, I never feared entering a country. It was the fear that I might not be able to exit that worried me the most.

It's best to know and observe any laws.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I need to travel into Mexico this year with my Lance Camper and F350. I am doing a vehicle modification to make it a "motorhome" thru Texas DMV, which is quite a process (permanent mounting and photos, weight ticket, and statement/inspection)....this way they will issued a 10 year permit with no problem for the entry! -- do u believe???!!!

The salesguy suggested registering the title for my camper at the time of sale for just the reasons offered here. I carry that document in the glovebox.
He had a buyer turned back at Guerrero Negro because of a lack of title.
Mine's been down 33 times north of GN and no issues. It's been awhile though.

adventuretrek

Adventurer
Returning from Scouting Trek to Central America with F350 Truck Camper

Just returned from a 3 month trip through Mexico and to Central America.....

I registered my truck camper as a motorhome (preventing any questioning by SAT at the Mx border) and kept my papers while traveling Guatemala and beyond ...

On the trip met several other RVs who had had the "big truck" problem at the borders. Most all of them paid a bribe from $100 to $300 AT THE BORDER ENTRY POINTS, and were issued a temp importation permit, some had a 3/4 ton truck pulling a travel trailer. It seems that you can go if you pay the bribe!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998