pickups with soft tops!

beags86

Adventurer
how many guys run these?? any pro and cons? trying to decide if i want a soft top or a fiberglass topper for my truck. anyone running roof rack on there softie?

chp-sk8

Adventurer
soft top

Well I will say the soft tops are a ton lighter and it is nice to roll up the sides to get some breeze in the desert or in a warm area. But.... the sun will beat them up over time and and they will and your expensive gear is a knife slash away from getting swiped. The hard sides are nice, but can get pretty spendy if you buy new.

NIVEK_TURK

Observer
Do some shopping around for a used canback there pretty pricey new. I bought a softtopper a couple years ago haven't had to many problems with it. It's nice to be able to pop it off buy yourself. Iam having a hard time finding a roof rack. For gear security just build a drawer system to lock it up in.

COONASS

Observer
I have two Tacomas, and have soft tops on both of them. One is a Bestop. the other is a Softtopper, I like them both. Obviously there is the lack of security that is available with a hard shell, but as stated drawers and lock boxes will help.

I am also looking for a rack to go around the soft tops. There are a few out there. Softopper has a couple of racks on there site.

beags86

Adventurer
well as a welder i will building my own roof rack. i have found a used can-back for 475, i was looking for a hard fiberglass topper when i found this. i hadn't really thought about a softie before i found this one used.

i think they look cool but i didn't know how well they worked, i will be sleeping in the back of my truck. i will be makeing the transition from tent camping to the back of my truck.

my main concern is how warm it will be. one of my main things i am looking for it that it be warmer then the tent i have been using. (old lady gets cold alot, along with the dogs)

bob91yj

Resident **************
I had a Bestop soft top on my last truck, my team owner now runs it on his truck, top fabric is still in good shape after 5 years or so in the SoCal sun. We camped out of ours for several years.

Best thing I ever got for that application was a BedRug. The bottom section compensates for the ridges in the bed floor making a flat surface, and it insulated the bed a bit. Therma rest and sleeping bags made for a good nights sleep. Much more foul weather capable than a tent.

Found a couple of pics of what I had...
aftershock316176.jpg

wreckingball020.jpg

beags86

Adventurer
yeah i will prob have some sort of sleeping platform in mine, good to know that it held up in the sun. as i live in co where the sun can be very strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998