Pics of my new bumpers/OBA set up

saburai

Explorer
Hi Gang!

I finally found a moment to snap and post up a few pics of some of my recent projects:sombrero:

First up are the most excellent bumpers that AJ built for me. I have to say that AJ is the best! Great communications, great price too! He really worked with me to give build me just what I wanted. The front bumper is a a enclosed winch design with a full guard and 4" driving lights integrated in to the design. I've got some Hella 500's for the guard on the way.

MartinsCeller270.jpg

MartinsCeller269.jpg

The rear is a tire/jerry can/hi-lift carrier, I had a local sail maker sew up a basic cover for the cans - outa sight, outa mind and all that.

MartinsCeller267.jpg

MartinsCeller268.jpg

Next up is the OBA set up I built out of a Puma pd1006 compressor. It's rated at 1 HP, 30amp draw, 100% Duty Cycle, 135psi. I'm using the passenger side rock rail as a tank. It holds about 3/4 of a gallon. I put it together with a Viair 85 - 105psi pressure switch with an integral relay and a manifold from Northern tool. Air chuck by the tail light.

MartinsCeller264.jpg

MartinsCeller261.jpg

MartinsCeller263.jpg

ExpoMike

Nice bumper. AJ's did a great job. Hope you don't mind if I take a couple ideas from yours when I do my winch bumper up. :D

Cool setup for the OBA. Hope you can get your fuse problem taken care of. I know you got a lot of ideas from your thread.

saburai

Explorer
Thanks Guys!

I got my inspiration for the OBA from Eric of Eric's XJ fame. Lots of great ideas and info on his site, here's the link:
http://www.ericsxj.com

I know some may disapprove, but I'm using the passenger side rock rail for air storage:Wow1:
It holds about 3/4 of a gallon. My pressure switch range is 85-105psi as that's what ARB lockers like, so I don't think I'm in any kind of danger:costumed-smiley-007

dustboy

Explorer
Wow, I wouldn't want to be the deer who meets that bumper! That is a serious chunk of steel.

Good shoehorn job on the air compressor, that is the perfect spot. I like the idea of using your rock rails as a tank, I think I'm going to do the same with my rear bumper. It will be a nice surprise for the jerk who rear ends me!

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
WWWOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
More pics of the front and the rear swing out arm please!!!!!!!!

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Looks great Rich. I had been awaiting pics.

Pic of how the hinge is connected on the swingout please, i think thats the one i'll go with.

ExpoMike

Looks great Rich. I had been awaiting pics.

Pic of how the hinge is connected on the swingout please, i think thats the one i'll go with.

I had seen this change regarding the hinge and FINALLY a manufacturer decided the laws of physics played a more important part the ease of building. I have been saying for years, the swing out pivot needed a top mount, so it took away the load from being placed where the spindle meets the bumper. Basically you place the spindle into a double shear mounting, which should eliminate all failures. Glad AJ's figured out a nice way to do it.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Your Jeep is looking great. Bumpers turned out sweet, I like unique design on the front. Great idea using the rock rail as a tank. Now, you can get an airhorn too! The only suggestion I would have would be to make sure you keep anything from leaning on the compressor when it is running. I know mine can get too hot to touch and could potentially melt / catch fire something leaning against it when running to inflate tires. Maybe put an open grate over the top of the opening?

Anyway, sweet looking rig. Well done!

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Yeah Mike, i followed the design thread at NAXJA as well. Too bad the price ended up being twice projected retail... but those things happen. I also want a double shear design, but i'm not quite sold.. a bit leary of the two through bolts and spacers behind the machined "pivot" bolt.

Been waiting for someone to report their experience.

XJINTX

Explorer
GREAT JOB... I like the setup very much! As a former New Yorker where are you located... I'm originally from Amsterdam ;)

I have a question on your real leafs? I can't see from these pics but:

1. Are you running a lift and if so what rear pack?

2. With the additional extended rear end weight is there droop yet?

Once more LOOKS sweet!

saburai

Explorer
Thanks Guys!

I'll try to take some more pics as time allows. I think that there are some hinge close ups on AJ site.

Thanks for the safety concerns! I did use a hose to jacket the 10 gauge wire and the compressor has air space on all sides.

Right now I'm on Long Island - untill Friday...

The rear leafs are a Rusty's 3" spring pack w/ 1.5" shackles. So far I've notice no droop. With the jerry cans full, I'm able to tell they are back there...

GREAT JOB... I like the setup very much! As a former New Yorker where are you located... I'm originally from Amsterdam ;)

I have a question on your real leafs? I can't see from these pics but:

1. Are you running a lift and if so what rear pack?

2. With the additional extended rear end weight is there droop yet?

Once more LOOKS sweet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger