PICS of your bike on your vehicle

mporter

Observer
more shots

Here is a couple more shots of my humble set up.

Attachments

• tw on back 2.jpg
    tw on back 2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 109
  • tw on back 3.jpg
    tw on back 3.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 150

jesusgatos

Explorer
How about this for a moto hauler?

davis_01.jpg

And this is how I transport my bikes if I want to travel lighter:

tacoma_moto_01.jpg

But mostly, I just ride 'em. All my bikes are plated. Trailers are for boats!

Last edited:

deminimis

Explorer
I still vote trailer. Putting a heavy bike, way out past a rear axle can have an effect on handling. Besides, a trailer provides the kids a place to rest (last Sunday)
Eddieville%202-13-11.jpg

jesusgatos

Explorer
Yeah, those hitch-haulers are nice. The only problem with them, and all the other hitch-mounted bikerack that allow the wheels to hang down exposed - is that it's very easy for the tires/wheels to get snagged on something and the results can be disasterous. I saw a really nice KTM get totally destroyed when one of the tires hit the ground as the motorhome was driving out of the campgrounds at Hollister hills. Ripped it off the rack. Folded the front wheel, destroyed the forks and the frame. Less of a problem with higher-clearance vehicles, but something to keep in mind.

mporter

Observer
Trailers are nice, but...

I still vote trailer. Putting a heavy bike, way out past a rear axle can have an effect on handling. Besides, a trailer provides the kids a place to rest (last Sunday)
Eddieville%202-13-11.jpg

Trailers have their place certainly, but for my needs the hitch hauler just makes more sense. Even with the camper, supplies and my wife's TW200, our 2011 F350 seems to not even notice the weight. It rides better then when empty and is no where near resting on it's overload springs. 90% of the camping I do is at the end of trails that are tight and technical enough (for the F350) that I would have to build a pretty gnarly trailer with a articulating hitch, even then the length would really limit me. Also hitch carriers are easier to store and in a 70mph speed zone I can click along at 73 or so with out fear of the radar gun. Don't even get me started on: crosswinds, In and Out drive thru, backing in, tight turnarounds. Just me 2cents

Last edited:

mporter

Observer
T-Dub on TLC

Here is shot of my Wife's T-Dub catching a ride on the back of my buddy's Land Cruiser.

Attachments

• tw on tlc.jpg
    tw on tlc.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 202

LTFJC

Observer
And this is how I transport my bikes if I want to travel lighter:

tacoma_moto_01.jpg

But mostly, I just ride 'em. All my bikes are plated. Trailers are for boats![/QUOTE]

Sweet toyota!!!

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I like the hitch idea, but with between 3-5 bikes when we go out as a family, I am pretty much stuck with the trailer when we need to cover any distance.

:(

The good news is we can ride from our yard straight into the hills, so usually no trailer is required.

:)

JRhetts

Adventurer
The vehicle:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FeWmAKbe0nQ/TdCrl9Azc6I/AAAAAAAAAe4/Jm2lPBGSKrg/s1600/FusoFM2+rf.jpg

The rack: drive into the open 'holes"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MLK6ovrcKnY/TdCrma5aqlI/AAAAAAAAAfI/rTH7mtRxUpY/s1600/IMG_1325.JPG

And lift it up:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Uy-yuTN95CY/TdCrmAsvueI/AAAAAAAAAfA/5Swfqy1D0qw/s1600/IMG_1328.JPG

Takes less than 3 min to load or unload the bike, so we can EASILY use it to do recon on whether we want to take the 21,000# ExVehic down the narrow, winding path.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior