Pics of your bike on your vehicle!!

Same bike, different suburban.

This is my older suburban, I always preferred this one to any other I've had...even though it smelled funny.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 34
And to end off the suburban portion...

Here's my current suburban with the still the same bike at our new house in San Miguel de Allende.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 30
Last one from me.

Used to stuff it in this thing as well; an old sheet to keep the grease off the car and everything fit perfectly!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 31

BADDANDY

Adventurer
The old way

DSCF4192_zps11ce393b.jpg

The new way

DSCF4193_zpse5112c1a.jpg

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
When we're just using the She Beast we carry them like this,

12-08-19 (1).JPG

Had that rack made just for them, didn't want to add to our clearance.

If I'm hauling the "fleet", I put 6 in the back of the lil Draggin'

11-09-07 (2).JPG

:smiley_drive:

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Bump It Offroad Swing out custom bike rack.

I posted this in my build in the 80 section and thought I would share with everyone here in the bike section. I have always tried to travel with bikes, but on trips were we see rougher roads and more technical 4WD trails the bike become more of a problem. Most hitch racks hang too low and the ones that don't seem to allow the bike to swing more then I'm comfortable with. Then you have to deal with the bikes blocking access to rear of the truck, a swing out would be the best answer, I have seen a similar set up done by 4x4Labs but it just wasn't what I was looking for. So when I pulled the trigger on a new bumper from Bump It Offroad I figure now was the time. After a few sketches and emails make in forth with Mike at BOI we cam up with this design:

IMG_5092.JPG

The arm was built with "cross bars" to mount my Yakima trays from my old set up on the canopy of my Tacoma. Being able to use the Yakima racks allows you to lock the bikes to the rack with the locking skewers. You can also adjust the mounting or take them off and use the arm for mounting some thing else.

IMG_5093.JPG

Plenty of clearance for the spare.

IMG_5095.JPG

Improved ground clearance over hitch mounted racks. This is also the lowest bike, the second sits up six inches higher to offset the handlebars on the two bikes.

So far I can't think of a better way to carry bikes on the back of a rig. Being able to swing the bikes out at the end of the day and not having to worry about the bikes hitting each other or hanging up on the trail is a dream. Mike was awesome to work with and would recommend him to any one looking for a custom swing out. :sombrero:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I welded the arms from an old hitch rack to the top of my Bog Daddy Offroad spare tire swingout. I use a ratchet strap to secure it and a small bungee on the front wheel to give just enough resistance to keep it from banging around. The arms of the rack can unbolt at the top so I can take it off if needed, but it is usually up there. Not great pics, but you get the idea... I know this style of rack, that is, hanging it from the top tube, has gone out of style, but works for me
bike rack 2.jpg
It was key for me to get the mount high enough to clear the hitch for when we are pulling the pop up and that also give it clearance to get it out of the way while off road. Also the bike swings out with the tire carrier, so I do not have to take it off to access the back of the jeep.
bike rack 3.jpg

I modified the rack that I posted in post #80. It worked well, but it took up too much room. I squeezed the front tire mount in between the bike and the tool box. I have to move the bike to take the front tire out, but lots more space this way.

P3142422Large_zpsdb05c256.jpg

P3142423Large_zpsd03cf56f.jpg

Saguache

Adventurer
I modified the rack that I posted in post #80. It worked well, but it took up too much room. I squeezed the front tire mount in between the bike and the tool box. I have to move the bike to take the front tire out, but lots more space this way.

P3142423Large_zpsd03cf56f.jpg

Where did you get the aluminum fork brackets to fit? I like the whole set up since you've compacted it.

Where did you get the aluminum fork brackets to fit? I like the whole set up since you've compacted it.

The fork legs are some 1/8" thick 1" X 3" channel that I had kicking around. I had to add some thickness to the ends because the bolts wouldn't tighten on the 1/8" material.

It does work better being compacted, takes up a lot less space. I will have to remove the fork mount to fit my 29er, but that's just 4 bolts.

steve c

Adventurer
Keeping it Fat

img2289td.jpg

Slightly skinnier

img2251k.jpg

And how I use to do it with the urban expedition rig.

bigbear317.jpg

Last edited:

scottman

Observer
Sportrack 4 bike setup. I was concerned about departure angle with another 4 feet hanging off the back of the already overly long SMB, but no trouble so far.

SMB_bikerack.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12