PicsMobile - 4x4 MAN truck

Cedric Jacquet

Hello everyone,

Newbie here ... so I thought I might present my truck.

A number of years back, my wife and I decided we needed to build a new expedition vehicle (our old Land Rover Defender had done it's time). Our requirements were that it should be heavily photo-oriented (we're professional nature & wildlife photographers), it had to be a ‘real’ 4×4 with good off-road capabilities ; the vehicle needed to be sturdy and reliable, and roomy enough to accommodate for the heavy and bulky equipment (hides, floating blind, camo nets, tripods, drone, … + big lenses & co !), as well as comfortable. But we also wanted to be able to travel with the kids when possible.

Roof down :
camion.jpg

So we had to move away from the traditional 4x4 cars, into the realm of the all terrain trucks/lorries : with a well equipped truck, we can travel more independently (staying several weeks at a time without needing to head back to ‘civilization’), and stay in more difficult areas (heated living cell, shower, WC, kitchenette – and real comfortable beds !), with all our gear, and the kids when they can join. But while I wanted space inside, I also wanted the truck to be compact, in order to keep as much of it's off-road capabilities as possible. So we ended up with a MAN 15.290 4x4 truck, and a rear living cell with a roof that can be raised & lowered (shoe-box style, in order to ensure a great insulation even when the roof is up), with the 2 bedrooms upstairs.

Roof raised :
Blog-1204240002-l.jpg

If you are interested in the design/construction of the truck, please have a look at my blog :

http://blog.cedricjacquet.com/?p=81 : searching for a truck
http://blog.cedricjacquet.com/?p=144 : the chosen truck
http://blog.cedricjacquet.com/?p=191 : the rear cabin lay-out
http://blog.cedricjacquet.com/?p=234 : the shell building

Should you have any questions - please ask !

foxhunter

Adventurer
I really like your truck. I was wondering how close you are to your max GVWR with the additional weight of the lifting roof. Also, now that you have used it awhile, what would you change?

Cedric Jacquet

I really like your truck. I was wondering how close you are to your max GVWR with the additional weight of the lifting roof. Also, now that you have used it awhile, what would you change?

Hi Foxhunter - the roof isn't heavy : it's built out of 10cm (+- 4 inches) thick insulation foam, the walls are 7cm (2.8 inches) thick when raised - when down, that's 5.6 inches.

The weight of the truck comes more from the water tank, the fuel, the tires (400 lbs a piece !), the batteries, ... : in total we're at 11.5-12 tonnes - so we're good :).
After having been in Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique & co for 6 years, I just shipped my truck back home. Next year, we'll be starting a new trip : East North & west Canada, then Alaska, then through the US into Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, Costa Rica & co into south America. But that 'trip' will take many, many years :).

So before shipping PicsMobile to Halifax, I'll modify her. Adding a motorbike, maybe changing the gel batteries into newer & lighter tech (but that still is so expensive !), repairing stuff, ... I also need to see what I'm going to do with my tires : the ones I'm currently using are pretty fabulous (Michelin XZL 395/85 R20), but they are hardly available in the US (only the military use them), and completely unavailable further south. I would use perfect off-road tires where there hardly is any tough terrain - and end up without these tires when I would need them (south America) :( .

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Thank you for posting! We are getting a lot of requests from people wanting to build a raised roof camper. Having build several of them at my time at Unicat, I know how difficult it is to do so. Your website post explaining how it's done is excellent! Happy travels and please stop by in Victoria when you are on Vancouver Island :)

NeverEnough

Adventurer
I also need to see what I'm going to do with my tires : the ones I'm currently using are pretty fabulous (Michelin XZL 395/85 R20), but they are hardly available in the US (only the military use them), and completely unavailable further south. I would use perfect off-road tires where there hardly is any tough terrain - and end up without these tires when I would need them (south America) :( .

There are plenty of sources for surplus XZL's in the US, both new and lightly used, and they're not very expensive. I paid $650/each for six, including Hutchinson wheels.

Cedric Jacquet

Hey, thank you, "Neverenough" ! I had read on a French overland-forum that they were very tough to get new in the US (only used military surplus available). But then - they are French, right ? ;)

Could you please send me the website you bought them at ? With Hutchinson rims, that is a great price !!!

foxhunter

Adventurer
I never found any as cheap as NEVERENOUGH. I got my last set of Michelin XZL/395/85 r20 From Rob Pickering in La Junta, Co. He usually keeps a supply of military surplus tires, never used, that are 4-5 yr old for around $1100 a piece. Last time I was there a few months ago, Global Expedition vehicles in Nixa, Mo also had some never used military surplus, price similar. My local tire shop said they could order brand new ones for about $2,000 each.

adam88

Explorer
Pretty cool. Really cool actually. I wish there was more info on the lift mechanism... like what kind of lift actuators are used and more photos. I would be curious in the technical stuff behind it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman