Pictures of Expedition Motorcycles

trailsurfer

Explorer
Thanks Travel Toad! I have been looking for the right bag(s) for the 650 for quite some time. I wasn't sold on any of the bags from the recent OJ reviews. They tested some great bags, but none of them seemed right my intended use.

traveltoad

Aaron S
Thanks Travel Toad! I have been looking for the right bag(s) for the 650 for quite some time. I wasn't sold on any of the bags from the recent OJ reviews. They tested some great bags, but none of them seemed right my intended use.

I think OJ should have included the GL bag in their test.

I slowed down a couple times to make sure the bag was still on my bike... I could not feel it at all. Unless you like to bring a lot of stuff I would try the Coyote (30l) and on those odd times that you need a little more room you can strap an extra bag (or your tent) to the out side of it. IMO the Great Basin (40l) is a bit too large.

Last edited:
I think OJ should have included the GL bag in their test.

I slowed down a couple times to make sure the bag was still on my bike... I could not feel it at all. Unless you like to bring a lot of stuff I would try the Coyote 930l) and on those odd times that you need a little more room you can strap an extra bag (or your tent) to the out side of it. IMO the Great Basin (40l) is a bit too large.

I havent used a GL bag, but I dont think I would be interested, honestly. I put a lot of miles on my KLR with a wolfman alpha bag on the back. The alpha has a similar design as the GL bags. But the rule of thumb is to keep your weight down low to keep you COG right.

Last time I checked most of our bikes are quite tall. My point being, some sort of saddle bags are the way to go (for me at least). I love my dirtbagz, although now I need another set after doing 3 lowsides on them, and forgetting to clip one side to the rack, I drug the one bag along a gravel road at about 60mph. :coffeedrink:

What I would like to see is the Dirtbags setup with a waterproof construction more like the Ortlieb or the Wolfman Expedition saddle bags. Yet, I'll probably buy dirtbags again.

traveltoad

Aaron S
I agree with your logic. I had DirtBagz on my SE for most of the last year. I had a BBriggs rack to support the DirtBagz that kept them low and forward for better weight balance. It was a great set up that worked very well. I spoke to a few people with the GL bag but could not figure out why anyone would want the weight any heigher on the bike. And remember the KTM 950SE is as tall and heavy as they (dirt bikes) come.

Then, after significant peer pressure, I decided to try one. In a word... AMAZING. The DirtBags/rack set up felt really good on the bike. The GL bag doesn't feel like anything on the bike. Not a subtle difference.... an amazing difference. On top of that, even though the GL Coyote and the DirtBagz are both 30l, I can fit more into the GL bag. I guess because of it's shape.

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I strongly recommend the new Giant Loop Coyote!

Now you guys piqued my curiousity. The GL website has a few nice adventure pics but as far as product show and tell, I found it lacking and slacking. Could any of you GL fans be troubled to post a couple more pics of your bag systems and what you can pack in them? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

traveltoad

Aaron S
I strongly recommend the new Giant Loop Coyote!

Now you guys piqued my curiousity. The GL website has a few nice adventure pics but as far as product show and tell, I found it lacking and slacking. Could any of you GL fans be troubled to post a couple more pics of your bag systems and what you can pack in them? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Yeah the GL business is an afterhours deal for them thus far (they have real jobs).

I don't have any photos of what was in my bag this past weekend... but the list included: sleeping bag, small Thermarest, bivy, Cooking pot, cup, stove, stove fuel, shoes, a little food and coffee, tube, clothes (pants / sweater / socks / underwear / 3 shirts), water bottle, coffee filter holder, plate

One can easily strap a small bag to the outside (like a tent) of the GL is more space is needed inside.

wachs

First post

Not to butt in on the Coyote topic but I have some images to answer questions.

My friend Steve on his Factory KTM 690 Rally bike, his brother Pete and his wife Gwen went for their first non-supported ride a few weeks back. We all had the Coyote and 3 of us used the Fandango tank bags as well.

674809710_YfvGj-L.jpg

Here's Pete's 530 set up with the contents.

710878721_MXMbB-L.jpg

710879064_7ZuNF-L.jpg

There is a ton more info here: http://www.giantloopmoto.blogspot.com/

I've been out for 9 days with the Coyote down into Nevada from my house in Bend, OR and many shorter, multi-day, un-supported rides pounding the crap out of the kit. No racks, no melting gear and the dirty little secret is, the Coyote is like an 'air bag' that will actually defend your bike in the inevitable get-off.

AAXD

I decided my F650 wasn't enough bike for me (based on absolutely nothing since it is an amazing long distance machine) and true to form, decided I needed something else. I settled on a BMW airhead of some sort, I originally panned to find some kind of bastardized /6 or older that I could pick up cheap, but then my ultimate dream bike fell into my lap. Thanks to my dad for finding and working the deal for this beauty.
Unknown-1-1.jpg

It's a 91 BMW R100 GS Paris Dakar. I'm planning to fly home to CT and pick it up in the spring, then ride it home to Alaska.

scarysharkface

Explorer
I decided my F650 wasn't enough bike for me (based on absolutely nothing since it is an amazing long distance machine) and true to form, decided I needed something else. I settled on a BMW airhead of some sort, I originally panned to find some kind of bastardized /6 or older that I could pick up cheap, but then my ultimate dream bike fell into my lap. Thanks to my dad for finding and working the deal for this beauty.
Unknown-1-1.jpg

It's a 91 BMW R100 GS Paris Dakar. I'm planning to fly home to CT and pick it up in the spring, then ride it home to Alaska.

That is pretty!

wachs

Unknown-1-1.jpg

Nice bike! My neighbor has one and it's a tough hombre for sure. Yours is cooler looking IMHO. Good score.

625847374_xDacu-L.jpg

traveltoad

Aaron S
Unknown-1-1.jpg

I've always liked how the /5 valve covers look on the newer airheads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12