Pinzgauer 710M Conversion - Build thread

Hugues

Hi everyone,
I'm starting my build thread. I bought a Pinzgauer 710M and will be converting it into an expedition truck over the next 12 months.
I'm a Canadian engineer, living in Switzerland. This is my second conversion, first one was a Mercedes Sprinter 314 van.

Below is a rendering of the finished project.
If you are interested to see the Pinz up close, I add a link below with a short video on Youtube, without any comments.
Pinzgauer 710M v164.png

Last edited:

Hugues

Here I explain how I will build the box and "connect" it to the frame of the Pinzgauer.
I will be using PET foam panels with fiberglass sheets on both sides, manufactured by https://coratec.ch/en/applications/wohnkabinen-fuer-reisemobile
The 5 panels will be quite light, only 69 kgs (without L channels, glue, windows), they are strong enough, no need to build a supporting frame.
The rear panel will be fixed on a metal structure that I will attach to the rear of the frame, and will serve as an extension to provide a bit more volume.
I welcome your constructive feed-back.

Last edited:

simple

Adventurer
Looks like a good start.

You've got my curiosity regarding the EPDM joint to constrain the box in the vertical direction. Have you seen this application before? I wonder about the joint between the EPDM and Box. It appears that the area where it laps over the L channel will result in a sheer and a peel force on the bond between the EPDM and box. Bond strength is much lower in peel.

Also what do you think about the relatively small stress area at the start of the bond on the box? Will it cause a mechanical failure between the skin and foam core?

And last but not least what are you numbers for joint strength relative to forces generated in a collision?

Hugues

Looks like a good start.

You've got my curiosity regarding the EPDM joint to constrain the box in the vertical direction. ...
Thanks a lot for your feed-back, very relevant points you raised.
I was about to write my feed-back here, but that would be too long of a post, and for this kind of topic, a visual is better.
So I'll record a short video to answer your points.
Will upload soon, latest this week-end.
thanks again.

Hugues

Ok, so i've recorded this video to give more information on this system of EPDM bands to hold my box.
It's a bit longish but it's probably easier to watch than reading a long written reply.
Hopefully I address the very valid points raised by @simple above.
Main point is that my EPDM bands only serve to hold only 10% of my entire load (~85 kgs), the rest of the load (~750 kgs) being bolted to the floor/frame of the Pinz.
This is a fundamental difference versus traditional builds where the box contains the entire load and is secured through the frame of the truck using bolts or 3-points pivots.

simple

Adventurer
That is interesting that you are mounting most of your items to the truck directly and using the EDPM joint to restrain the box forces only.

It's also cool that you are attempting something new and it will be informative to follow along and see the results. There may also be an application for this type of joint when mounting certain items to the inside of a traditional style box build out.

Would you consider putting an elastomeric material between the panel's bottom L channel edge and it's mating surface on the truck? I imagine the box will move and vibrate relative to the truck from wind and road surfaces generated inputs. I imagine that shock loading might break down the foam on the bottom edge of the box over time.

If the EDPM joint acts as a spring which may oscillate at different resonances, I am wondering if any sort of dampening will be required? Maybe the right elastomeric cushion could act as a dampener. Is that something you are taking into consideration?

Hugues

Would you consider putting an elastomeric material between the panel's bottom L channel edge and it's mating surface on the truck? I imagine the box will move and vibrate relative to the truck from wind and road surfaces generated inputs. I imagine that shock loading might break down the foam on the bottom edge of the box over time.

If the EDPM joint acts as a spring which may oscillate at different resonances, I am wondering if any sort of dampening will be required? Maybe the right elastomeric cushion could act as a dampener. Is that something you are taking into consideration?
I was not thinking about resonance but a few days ago I ordered my EPDM and made sure I have enough to add one band exactly as you say, pictured below, red line. To avoid having both fiberglass profile bumping into each other, I'm adding one band of 2mm to soften the load between the green and red profiles.

Now, coming back on the resonance. It's a valid point which I have not considered so far, thanks for bringing this up.
On corrugated roads, I'm wondering if this could transmit up the Pinz' shocks and up to the box.
I would have to find a way to dampen the up and down movement.
This type of resonance is not so easy to simulate (I use AD Fusion 360), so many components of the Pinz and box are at play, and the road conditions. I think I will have to wait and see, sticking my Gopro out there while I drive on bad roads to see how the system is behaving in real life. But I should think about a possible solution if this problem comes.

That makes me think, what is not shown there and i have not mentioned yet in my video, the outer bottom of the panel will rub against the fixed red L profile when going up and down.
I was planning to place some Abrasion Resistant Slippery Tape, to facilitate the movement and reduce wear on both parts. Maybe this tape:
UHMW High Impact Abrasion Resistant Slippery Tape

EPDM bands.JPG

Last edited:

Hugues

Test fitted my new hardtop today,

It's rather easy to install, there is a lip up front that catches the metal hook where the tarp straps in.
Then you drill on each side at the back to bolt it to the B pillar.
I still have to find a way to mate the hardtop to my box, to avoid water ingress.
I managed to keep the central U bar, so that it can support the weight of my storage boxes on the roof.
It weighs 11 kgs, but you remove about 5 kgs with the tarp and hardware, so net weight increase is 6 kgs.

new roof .jpg

front close-up.JPG

inside.JPG

Wazak

I've saved their details and I'll make contact with them. Thanks very much for your reply.
Do they cater for the 716?
I've subscribed to your YouTube channel.
Cheers

Barry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior