Pirelli tire question

JMacs

Observer
This is a more direct tire question than, “What is the best tire?” I have selected the one I want, Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus, 265/75 R16. The problem I am having is the load rating that best fits my Taco (2017 DoubleCab) is on back order. The heavier duty ones are in stock. I would like to get them before a road trip at the end of May, but there is no guarantee.

My question is, how much stiffer / harsher ride do you think it will be if I go with the higher rating tire? This is my daily driver. Most of our road trips start with a 500 mile interstate drone before we get where we want to be. So having a quitter tire is a plus. Don’t do any serious crawling, just fire roads and sometimes less maintained than that. Need good snow performance.

Want the 116T. 2756lb rated, 4-ply tire, 44psi max inflation, weighs 56 lbs.
In stock 123S. 3417lb rated, 10-ply tire, 80 psi max inflation, weighs 49 lbs. (strange, but true, this is lighter than the other)

The guy at the tire shop shrugged his shoulders and said, “Na, you’ll probably never notice.”

Thoughts? Anyone else running these?

bkg

Explorer
All about managing the tire pressure. I have E’s on the Tacoma, D’s on the 3rd gen 4runner, C’s on the 5th gen 4Runner… ride about the same.

The fact that the 10 plies are lighter probably boards well for the ride as well

jbaucom

Look at the weight capacity of the OE tires at the factory recommended inflation pressure (remember to multiply the capacity of the P-metric tire by .91 since it's installed on a light truck) to determine the necessary minimum weight capacity as specified by the factory. Then use a tire load-inflation table to figure out what pressure is needed for an LT265/75R16 to meet that carrying capacity. I don't know what size your truck came with from the factory, its recommended inflation pressure, nor your truck's RAWR, but I'd venture that with that size tire, 35-38 psi would do the trick and you wouldn't be able to tell much difference in ride between the P-metric tire and the LT LRE. An LT265/75R16 is rated to carry 1910 lbs at 35 psi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman