Plain white Ford Transit Needs Exterior Re-do. Vinyl wrap? Paint?? ???

F451

Observer
Hey guys,

I just picked up a very plain, very large, very white Ford Transit 250 cargo, long wheelbase, medium roof, and I have to agree with the wife, its looks kinda plain, which never occurred to me that its not ideal, Lol. The wife and kids keep mentioning it and they've infected my brain with their propaganda and I'm now wondering if anyone has done any interesting treatments to the exterior of their vans like a re-spray, wrap, racing stripes, graphics?

And yes I know I could have purchased any number of Transits in whatever colors they offer but I didn't, so we can skip that discussion (please). :)

Here's the White Whale now, it will slowly be converted into the ultimate moto van. Well, maybe not ultimate.

IMG_7408-M.jpg

I kinda like this look and think it would be relatively inexpensive to order up some stripes on the interwebs, or have a local graphics place make them for me. Maybe in dark blue, or the gray/silver look like this one. When I showed this to the wife she pointed out that my van will still have gigantic white sides with nothing on them. Dang it.

ford-transit-sportvan-new-special-edition-released-39120_1-M.jpg

This is interesting, adds some visuals to the sides. I think I would skip the numbers, don't want to advertise that I'm carting bikes and gear around:

RacingStripes-M.jpg

Another idea I had was to look into the cost of a full vinyl wrap, less the roof. Change the color to something like silver or gold, leave the top white to help out with keeping the temps down in the summer and lower the cost of the wrap a bit. A full wrap is unlikely (too many negatives, too expensive for what you get, etc), but I think I will stop by one of the local shops that does them to see what they say.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make the White Whale less generic, I'd love to hear them, thanks. -Eddie

Ps: I should add, I'm planning on installing 30" tires soon, probably Bridgestone AT T/A KO2, for the dirt roads and fields I'll be negotiating while out riding the dirt bikes. Later if the budget allows I'd like to look into a 2" or so lift.

Last edited:

ripperj

Explorer
If it were mine I would not wrap it, it's expensive and only good for a few years.
I would put some wide grey or black diagonal stripes on the sides, and matching racing stripes on the hood if that's what you like.

If you like it the way it is, just leave it. The kids will get over it

Sent from my Passport

F451

Observer
If it were mine I would not wrap it, it's expensive and only good for a few years.
I would put some wide grey or black diagonal stripes on the sides, and matching racing stripes on the hood if that's what you like.

If you like it the way it is, just leave it. The kids will get over it

Sent from my Passport

Yes I agree a wrap would only last so long and would almost immediately start showing the effects of daily driving wear and tear. And yes, the wife and kids can put a lid on it. Lol.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
You could always have the window areas done in black vinyl to make it look like a passenger van and less of an all white work van. Still gives security and privacy to the back and is cheaper than adding windows.

F451

Observer
Keep in mind, parking, stealth camping, theives, cops, un-wanted attention.

That is definitely a consideration, hence no moto stickers (which I have a ton of) or too much in the way of splashy graphics. I'm thinking some basic stripes at this point if anything. Pretty much ruled out a full wrap.

And as mentioned, windows. I'm going to get the back door glass dark tinted and the front doors glass as well. I would like a factory tinted window in the sliding door at some point, so will be looking into options there, whether its an aftermarket rv type window, factory glass, or an entire door with glass from a wreck, will see how that goes.

Thanks for all the input guys, appreciate it. -Eddie

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I've found a cargo van attracts more attention when parked than a typical passenger van - hence the reason for putting black vinyl on the areas where the windows would have been. Also reduces the large amounts of white surface on a cargo van. Cheap to do also. Easily reversed if/when a window is installed.

I've seen it done on a couple of friend's sprinter van and it made a big difference. Going to do it on mine soon.

You could also black out the area on the lower sides as well - I think that would look better too.

DAV!D

Adventurer
Man that silver "euro" version looks 100 times better than the US version.. I absolutly hate the look of the front ends on the UIS vans, why couldn't they have given us that Euro version.. Looks sooo much better.

Leen

That silver van is an older model, the late model EU transits have the same front as the USA version.

Ontopic: here in the EU (or maybe only in Holland?) we also like to add fake windows to our cargo vans (google for glaslook panelen) since we are not allowed to have real glass see-through windows in the rear of a cargo van for tax benefit reasons but we also don't ike how boring our vans look without them ;)
These fake glass panels are just glued over the sheet metal.

F451

Observer
A horrible rendering but should get a different veiw across...

2elea2c.jpg

Thanks Rob and everyone else that chimed in about adding "window look" vinyl, that is an interesting idea that I had not considered.

And that woodie! That is awesome, Lol.

Corneilius

Adventurer
Ontopic: here in the EU (or maybe only in Holland?) we also like to add fake windows to our cargo vans (google for glaslook panelen) since we are not allowed to have real glass see-through windows in the rear of a cargo van for tax benefit reasons but we also don't ike how boring our vans look without them ;)
These fake glass panels are just glued over the sheet metal.

Thats a great idea, gets my vote. Breaks up the white without looking out of place or gaudy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger