Planning a Trans-Labrador trip

craig333

Expedition Leader
Took a look at the Zoleo. Does have some features that inreach doesn't but I pay less for my inreach than the cheapest zoleo plan.

RJ Howell

Took a look at the Zoleo. Does have some features that inreach doesn't but I pay less for my inreach than the cheapest zoleo plan.
Costs in both are weird in points. Think it comes down to how much you will actually use it. One has a low monthly if not used. Had to read that twice myself.. Guess that is vs. paying start-up again. If my memory serves me right I thought I saw a pre-paid plan with Zoleo. $150 up front (for the unit) & $30 for the 2 months I'd want it running. If that's correct it makes it a decent choice for my requirements. I will dig into that if I do decide that way. Right now, not thinking I really need it.

RJ Howell

Everyone seems to like to drive up to Cartwright.. I'm not seeing the thrill myself so I've check into a couple alternatives.

Anyone been up to Lobstick? Seem s you can hit 53.9N with a run just above. Now that interests me. Cost is another night and within my fuel range, okay may need my spare..
Road up is about half way between LC & Churchill Falls. That seem to be the highest, without challenge, I can get.. with fuel capacity I have anyway.

Very interested if anyone here has been...

RJ Howell

I'm another day into the build and preparing for this trek. I will test, hopefully before going, my fuel mileage. Just thinking of additional, and if really wanted. If I do my build right, I figure ~500 miles on a tank. Carry an additional 6gallons and I've got Lobstick without much loss. Now that I've learned I can drive there, but not fish it without a guide... Get that, I can drive there, spend the night and can not drop a line in the water without hiring a guide. I'm now wondering why go... I can't break 54 lat by doing so... Can't fish it... Am I reading something wrong???

klahanie

daydream believer
Carry an additional 6gallons and I've got Lobstick without much loss. Now that I've learned I can drive there, but not fish it without a guide... Get that, I can drive there, spend the night and can not drop a line in the water without hiring a guide. I'm now wondering why go... I can't break 54 lat by doing so... Can't fish it... Am I reading something wrong???
So a quick search and I found this cautionary news release:
Non-Residents Charged for Allegedly Angling without a Guide in Labrador West

Looked at the regs and I'm not 100% sure. Freshwater and the 800m rule are key.

But I'm a BC boy, best to ask a local ... or hire one ;).

As for "get that", I do. It's a natural resource "owned" by the residents but DFO makes the rules.

Don't take it personally, Fisheries are complicated; inland and offshore fisheries have been devastated, there are Indigenous Land Claims and resource harvesting agreements, hydro power generation has altered water flows. If nothing else there's domestic employment to consider.

As for reaching the 54th parrallel. Is that a goal ? Not still 54-40 I hope, :D

Further west but might want to look into the Route de la Baie James (James Bay). Fwiw ADVrider has a number of threads on QC and NL roads.

The_Squid

So, first: Is this Zoleo device a good choice?
We’ve had Zoleo for a couple years and it works very well. I use it almost every weekend as where we fly fish has no cellular coverage.

I’ve never needed to use the emergency button, but texting works very well, and the “I’m ok” broadcast text works great. Never had any issues.

Battery life is good. I used it regularly over a 4 day camping trip last week without recharging it.

The app and communication with my cellphone works very well.

Overall, I’m very happy with Zoleo.

Edited to add:
The requirement to hire a guide to do any freshwater angling in Newfoundland is ridiculous. I was planning a trip out there one day, but won’t bother now.

Last edited:

RJ Howell

The requirement to hire a guide to do any freshwater angling in Newfoundland is ridiculous. I was planning a trip out there one day, but won’t bother now.
Labrador states anything over the 52nd Lat.. that's all of Labrador! NF is mostly below. I hope to fish on the Rock, so my gear is coming along. Still haven't determine status of surf fishing or brackish waters in NF. Guess I'll figure that out up there.

Thanx for the info on Zoleo

yabodie

I just got back from a Nova Scotia-Newfoundland-Labrador trip. Honestly I had a vehicle pass me going the other direction about once every 1.5-2 hours. Even more frequent closer to Happy Valley/Goose Bay and Churchill falls and again near Labrador city. So if you are worried about no help that might not be relevant. I found the trip to be similar to driving between Fairbanks and Anchorage in Alaska. Enjoy the silence and listen to the birds, frogs, etc along the way.

RJ Howell

I just got back from a Nova Scotia-Newfoundland-Labrador trip. Honestly I had a vehicle pass me going the other direction about once every 1.5-2 hours. Even more frequent closer to Happy Valley/Goose Bay and Churchill falls and again near Labrador city. So if you are worried about no help that might not be relevant. I found the trip to be similar to driving between Fairbanks and Anchorage in Alaska. Enjoy the silence and listen to the birds, frogs, etc along the way.
Thanx for that update! I did figure there would be a bit more traffic than that, yet also assumed it wouldn't be abandoned.. It seems more & more folks are traveling through.

kpredator

Adventurer
When we drove it , there was some construction.
Quite a bit of worker traffic from that.
Did you see the salmon limits?
Some streams are 2-3 catch and release
Per day!

RJ Howell

When we drove it , there was some construction.
Quite a bit of worker traffic from that.
Did you see the salmon limits?
Some streams are 2-3 catch and release
Per day!
Have no issue with C&L Helps the species in a given area. Though salmon I'd like to keep one..

When did you drive it. For perspective of current. I am so looking forward to this!

Thank you for responding and adding info to this. Much appreciated

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior