Planning a Trans-Labrador trip

RJ Howell

Sorry, not familiar with any "messaging device" or the TLH, BUT;

HAM radio is by far the best way to communicate on the face of the earth. Sat Com is a radio, not saying buy a sat phone, but HAM's can use satellites and even the moon to communicate. There is no place on the surface of the earth that a HAM rig will not work, given the right antennas.

Your GRMS and CB have limited power, along a trial between vehicles these are suitable. Most jabber all they want, which is poor manners on a radio, but evidently the FCC isn't locking folks up for bad manners.

Because HAMs may use more power, communications are more reliable, I've hit all 50 states with 100 watts over the years on 10 meters, fixed station with a 4 element beam.

While another station needs to be listening for your trans, if you pull a MAYDAY, someone will probably get back in short order, they might be in Texas, but at least they can relay information to authorities.

IMO, anyone serious about remote travel should have a HAM ticket and a decent mobile rig.

Have a great trip!
I've now done a bit of research on Ham in Labrador.. I've only found one repeater in Labrador City.. Once on the coast, things change! Doesn't seem to be an option for traveling the TLH..

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I've now done a bit of research on Ham in Labrador.. I've only found one repeater in Labrador City.. Once on the coast, things change! Doesn't seem to be an option for traveling the TLH..
You're not on the right frequency, but I understand.

I would use HAM radio, but I'm not doing that trip.

You need instant results, out of the box, no time to invest, need it right now, lowest cost possible, no investment, instant gratification, no need to advance knowledge or gain experience, you need simple, right now solutions, like most folks today.

Rent a Sat phone if you think you need communications for safety. otherwise, take off, be bold, travel where millions have gone before you, cross your fingers, chances are you won't die. Just know how to build a fire, best of luck and have a great time as the great explorer.

RJ Howell

You're not on the right frequency, but I understand.

I would use HAM radio, but I'm not doing that trip.

You need instant results, out of the box, no time to invest, need it right now, lowest cost possible, no investment, instant gratification, no need to advance knowledge or gain experience, you need simple, right now solutions, like most folks today.

Rent a Sat phone if you think you need communications for safety. otherwise, take off, be bold, travel where millions have gone before you, cross your fingers, chances are you won't die. Just know how to build a fire, best of luck and have a great time as the great explorer.

Really didn't add to the point of why, but that's okay. We'll be able to check in daily via cell and decided to re-intall the CB for road chat. To my surprise I learned that the TLH (which by now I hope you looked up being your comments pertain to it) is busier than some roads we already traveled.
Oh, and you can 'borrow' Sat phones in LC & return in Port Hope, so that is actually the easiest..

If you have a recommendation of a good mobile unit that you believe will broadcast 450 miles to the repeater, please do suggest. I'm still open. That the furthest distance to a repeater you get on the TLH..

RJ Howell

Well, sounds like you'll check out everything you can.

My .02 you prob already know, and that is to stop and talk to the locals wherever you can. There are not that many restaurants, museums, gas stations etc so pretty do-able.

I will give you a tip tho ... if you're good with frozen seafood ... Torngat in Happy Valley is a must stop. The cocktail crab claws for eg are dynamite. Seriously, bring a cooler.

Enjoy your trip !
Always do chat it up as we travel. Learn so much from the locals! Cocktail crab aye? Will do! We are seafood lovers!!

Also changed the Build-Journal to my website. I'm posting that one in more detail.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Really didn't add to the point of why, but that's okay. We'll be able to check in daily via cell and decided to re-intall the CB for road chat. To my surprise I learned that the TLH (which by now I hope you looked up being your comments pertain to it) is busier than some roads we already traveled.
Oh, and you can 'borrow' Sat phones in LC & return in Port Hope, so that is actually the easiest..

If you have a recommendation of a good mobile unit that you believe will broadcast 450 miles to the repeater, please do suggest. I'm still open. That the furthest distance to a repeater you get on the TLH..
Sounds good.

On a good day, an old ICOM 706 with a portable yagi, directional antenna.

Have a great trip!

RJ Howell

Sounds good.

On a good day, an old ICOM 706 with a portable yagi, directional antenna.

Have a great trip!
I've run my Yagi for cell signal and find it's specific to frequency. I stopped because it was line of sight to a tower. Found it to be more of a PITA then useful.. Hd no idea it would work Ham. Do figure it's still line-of-sight, right?
It now resides in my cousin's shop as it's beyond Wifi range. With the Yagi & my old booster he has signal in the shop now.

RJ Howell

I've met another that travels the TLH to Newfoundland. Picking up more good info on the road. Found he's also run some of the desert portions of Baja that we did two winter's back and only runs with his GMRS & CB. GMRS for convoy chat and CB for local chat. Interesting as we found no one on GRMS while down there. I do see myself testing out my old SSB / CB ...

rgallant

Adventurer
CB is pretty much dead in Canada, even most trucks run commercial VHF these days. Someone from that part of the world may chime in but it is doubtful you would make any contacts.

In an act of particular government intelligence, a commercial VHF license is different than a regular ham license. Commercial operators are on a different frequency band and require a commercial radio, not helpful when you need to call position on a logging road.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I've run my Yagi for cell signal and find it's specific to frequency. I stopped because it was line of sight to a tower. Found it to be more of a PITA then useful.. Hd no idea it would work Ham. Do figure it's still line-of-sight, right?
It now resides in my cousin's shop as it's beyond Wifi range. With the Yagi & my old booster he has signal in the shop now.

It's a directional antenna, point and shoot, used for moon bounce, station to station/tower/repeater.

Since the cell phone is ultra high the wave form is very narrow, means you must be a good shot, hams bands would be like shooting a shotgun compared to a BB gun.

A vertical beam would be good as well and always have a whip ready to go. Good luck.

RJ Howell

Good info from both of you! Thank you. I have to look up these LAAD frequencies for the area. I have a UHF license in the US and haven't researched if it's the same for Canada. My unit can also monitor VHF. I always run with this radio and it will be with me. I just have not found a frequency for road chat/info like the old days of running channel 19..

Last edited:

Bigc3031

I took a 5900 mile trip from michigan to Labrador city-goose bay- around Newfoundland, Nova Scotia then back to the states via Maine.

Outside of our group there was zero HAM traffic and cellular is almost none existent in LC and on the TLH.

Just because there are towers doesn’t mean your carrier has allocated traffic on it.

I strongly recommend an inreach, that’s how I communicated most of the trip on the TLH.

RJ Howell

If I do go Sat, I'll either go Zoleo messaging (posts location) or just borrow at Sat in LC & return Port Hope (loaner program). For just staying 'in touch', I'll check in in-town. My carrier hooks to Rogers, Telus & Bell.. even if an issue I can hit the Wifi spots I searched out.

RJ Howell

I took a 5900 mile trip from michigan to Labrador city-goose bay- around Newfoundland, Nova Scotia then back to the states via Maine.

Outside of our group there was zero HAM traffic and cellular is almost none existent in LC and on the TLH.

Just because there are towers doesn’t mean your carrier has allocated traffic on it.

I strongly recommend an inreach, that’s how I communicated most of the trip on the TLH.
I'll figuring about the same distance (~7K miles) covering about the same yet adding Quebec Rt138 to both ends. When did you go? How much road traffic did you see on the TLH? I'm not expecting to be alone much out there and expecting any roadside stays we may have company.. There's so many folks traveling now and this road is getting popular. Then there's the local drivers..

Decision as of now is maybe the Zoleo Messager, definitely bringing my UHF/VHF and maybe borrowing the SAT from LC & return in Port Hope (loaner program). Tested my old SSB/CB and it still works! Surprised me and spoke to some folks in Georgia yesterday. Still undecided if that comes along..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan