Planning for my chaser - Seeking fabrication & body work wisdom

eternus

Observer
I picked up a Ben-Hur 22-46 trailer last week (it'd been sitting on rotting wheels at my parent's house for 20+ years) so I put new rubber on and hauled it from Oklahoma back to Colorado.

2016-09-13 14.01.41 HDR.jpg

I have a couple of patches of cancer, one on the front wall and one on the bed near the back, additionally the whole thing is rusted over. I suppose I need to cut out those 2 cancerous spots and weld in a new piece of metal but I'm an absolute novice in these areas right now. Is there a particularly good forum out there for doing the grunt work of refurbing trailers like these? I tend to see a good trailer with stuff being either fabricated onto them or just bolting things on... I'm not to that point yet.

I also need to figure out if I need a 3500 lb axle (seems like overkill for a 4x6 trailer) to host a Jeep wheel, or why everyone is going so extreme on that axle. Who is a good resource for axles? I guess I need the DIY forum for trailer builds and not the "check out my build" forum... any recommendations?

Martyinco

Adventurer
What lug pattern are you planning on running? a 3500 axle may be a little much, you could go lower with a 2200 or so depending on what lug patter you plan on running.

Yes you would need to cut out the bad and weld in new wherever you have cancer. If you need any help or guidance I am right down the road in Erie.

https://www.southwestwheel.com/c-2-trailerpartcom.aspx is great for axles and parts. I would highly recommend them. Also http://www.redneck-trailer.com/

eternus

Observer
I aspire to run the same wheels as my Wrangler (2014 JKU) which is 5x5... if there is more to know past that then I still have more research to do.

Nice to find someone local, I have 0 experience but figure I'll use the Makerspace in Longmont (TinkerMill) to use their tools to at least get the welding completed. I can sand/grind in my driveway beyond that.

I'll check out those guys for axle information to see what options they have. I think phase one of this will be a restoration with the existing axle and wheels and once I'm ready to move into making it an expedition trailer I'll focus on the axle and wheels next. I also want to put a couple of angled pieces along that tongue but that'll be post restore as well.

jswift716

Adventurer
I aspire to run the same wheels as my Wrangler (2014 JKU) which is 5x5... if there is more to know past that then I still have more research to do.

Nice to find someone local, I have 0 experience but figure I'll use the Makerspace in Longmont (TinkerMill) to use their tools to at least get the welding completed. I can sand/grind in my driveway beyond that.

I'll check out those guys for axle information to see what options they have. I think phase one of this will be a restoration with the existing axle and wheels and once I'm ready to move into making it an expedition trailer I'll focus on the axle and wheels next. I also want to put a couple of angled pieces along that tongue but that'll be post restore as well.
Look for a second rear out of a jk, maybe from a wrecked one. Use that for your trailer, then you have matching lugs and patterns, all your wheels would fit, and should you break your rear in the jk you have spare shafts, gears, yokes, even a complete axle ready to swap if you have no other choice. It's not under any load unless you hook up brakes so you wouldn't have to worry to much about meticulously maintaining it other than changing the fluid when you dunk it.

Martyinco

Adventurer

5x5 you can get away with a smaller axle especially if you are not planning on running a ton of weight, and as jswift716 said you could source a rear from a wrecked vehicle and use that. Straight axles are pretty cheap from the two websites I mentioned, $100 or so bucks.

Like I said if you ever need help just give me a shout. I've got a garage of tools and years of experience. Always willing to help out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger